Ethernet Cables

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I need a decent amount of Ethernet cables and was wondering if it would be cheaper to buy a spool or to buy pre-made cables? I need two 100' lengths, three 50' lengths, and six 5-10' lengths. So I'd only need like 400' of cable but so far that I've found it costs almost as much to get those cables pre-made as it is to get a 1000' spool off the internet. Any insights on getting large amounts of cable cheap?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

50-60 bucks for all 11 cables from monoprice. 72 bucks for a spool.

if you have the tools and plugs, get the spool.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

If i remember correctly... i got 1000 feet of cat5e a year ago for about $80. The actual ends are cheap... however the crimper is about $50+. If this is a one-time operation, i'd say spend a bit more money on pre-made cables. If you plan on ever making cables again, spend the money on the tools.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

My friend has a crimper and plenty of tips, so it would just be a spool. Can you get like 500 foot spools?

5. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

All the ones I've found are over priced 250' spools or the 1000' spools.

6. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Home depot has spools of 500ft, but they're the higher end plenum rated cable, not the cheap stuff.

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

They usually have regular stuff as well, not jsut plenum. I bought mine from HD, and i just used regular non-plenum stuff.

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Think: Lumber yards.
    Hechingers, Lowe's, Home Depot.

They all carry large spools of Cat 5 and 6 cable. They even carry everything you need to install it.

I bought 100 feet just last night. I priced around. The internet wasn't an option cause the person that needed the install wanted it done over the weekend.
    I never considered a lumber yard before for this, but once I got the idea I found that there prices where better then any other place around.
    Better selection too.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

When I first started out I used home depot cat5. It's okay. thay have 250, 500, and 1000ft boxes, and they also have it by-the-foot.

Fry's electronics, and some other warehouse-style computer stores should also carry it.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

For anyone else reading this - do NOT cheap out on the crimper. A shitty one will cause you so much grief.

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i agree with that
    however, i ran ethernet to my computer in the basement, from the router on the second floor. i didn't have a crimper, so i cut a 3ft ethernet cord that already had connectors on it...then connected it to the ends of the long ethernet run with electrical tape.

throughput is as good as my 25ft cat6 cable, this cord is 100ft cat5. it handles gigabit :noes:

[​IMG]

i'll crimp it eventually, it's not like its super important anyways, just for an internet connection to my parent's pc (i pay the bill btw)