Ethanol fuel boosts mileage of GM's trucks

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Sep 23, 2005.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

More GM vehicles to have energy flexibility

[​IMG]

September 21, 2005
    BY MICHAEL ELLIS
    FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The new full-size sport-utility vehicles from General Motors Corp. get 100 miles per gallon of gas.

Too good to be true? Yes. But do the math, and by filling up GM's trucks with E-85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gas, drivers can help the United States cut its total oil consumption, a top GM executive said on Tuesday.

With gas prices hitting record highs above $3 a gallon this summer and consumers concerned about dependency on foreign oil, GM plans to advertise the benefits of its flex-fuel vehicles capable of burning ethanol or regular gasoline or a blend of the two, said Mark LaNeve, vice president of vice president of GM North America vehicle sales, service and marketing.

GM will add a yellow fuel cap on all vehicles capable of running on E-85, reminding them of an alternative to regular gasoline. Already, there are about 1.5 million GM vehicles capable of running on E-85, made mostly from corn or other grains.

Next year, GM will build about 400,000 flex-fuel vehicles when it launches its new full-size SUVs and Chevrolet Avalanche pickup truck, LaNeve said.

"A lot of people bought them and don't know they have the capability," LaNeve told reporters at a news conference on the new large SUVs. "There's a big education process here."

Although ethanol is often used in small amounts as an additive in gas, E-85 is largely limited to the Midwest where the fuel is produced. Minnesota has about 170 stations selling E-85, and the fuel is also widely available in Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and South Dakota, reports the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition.

There are only four E-85 filling stations in Michigan, the coalition's Web site said. The four are: the Citgo at 8438 Telegraph Road in Dearborn Heights, the Citgo at 29009 Northwestern Highway in Southfield, the BP Amoco at 3841 S. Rochester Road in Rochester Hills and at Don's Windmill Truck Stop in Dimondale.

But more could be on the way. On Tuesday, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm announced the creation of a free-tax zone in Marysville, near Port Huron, to support the construction of a new $95-million ethanol plant. Two other ethanol plants recently broke ground in Barry and Calhoun counties.

GM is also considering running newspaper ads about ethanol and sending letters to owners of flex-fuel vehicles, telling them about their vehicle's capability and the location of the nearest E-85 filling stations, LaNeve said.

"A lot of consumers are worried about fuel depletion, dependency, and a lot of people are worried about if there's ever going to be a shortage. There's always ethanol," LaNeve said.

[​IMG]

2. TriShield

I've been filling my vehicles with nearly half E-85 to half E-10 gasoline and they perform perfectly. E-85 is widely available here and only $1.88 per gallon in Aberdeen. :cool:

Every new vehicle should be flex-fuel and E-10 should be the standard blend nationwide with E-85 - E-100 available in every state.

3. Is the fuel any cheaper than regular gas?

4. :eek3: Holy shit. Any "performance" drawbacks?

5. flyguy

flyguy Guest

Where did this technology come from? How much does it cost vs traditional methods? And why haven't I heard fo this before. :o

6. TriShield

Zero, your car runs and performs normally although you can't completely fill your tank with E-85 if your car isn't an FFV.

7. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

8. VicenteFox

VicenteFox Does your mother still hang out at dockside bars?

soo how do I get someone to build an Ethanol fuel station over here?

9. What about MPG? :hsd:

10. TriShield

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/altfuel/ethanol.html

You haven't heard of it because our country fucking sucks at alternative energy sources. The Midwest is actively expanding production and distribution of ethanol and biodiesel though. :cool:

11. Bloke

Bloke Banned

ok so how do i know what cars work with it?

its easy to find stations around here, recently and i mean this year.

12. Put it in your car. If it runs it works, if not it doesnt.

13. zatar

zatar New Member

14. TriShield

No difference. FFVs may use go slightly shorter per tank of fuel versus regular gasoline with full ethanol use, it doesn't quite produce the same amount of energy per unit as gasoline.

Full ethanol use does create way less pollution, is cheaper to buy per gallon, and is completely US produced, renewable, and environmentally friendly.

15. Still cheaper in the long run though which is :cool:

16. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

NOW we're talking.

17. flyguy

flyguy Guest

Yeah but its cleaner and you save more gas and money in the long run

edit: the anti eggroll beat me to it :o

18. I wonder what the MPG of it is after you adjust for money saved by using it. Im going to use this in the next ricer fuckfest thread.

19. desired_apathy

desired_apathy New Member

If this is true I will be buying a new truck :bowdown:

20. Vincent

Vincent New Member

clifs?

21. Bloke

Bloke Banned

almost any alcohol solution under pH about 4.5 will start dissolving aluminum into solution. how do they go around this?

22. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

:cool: So can anyone explain what makes those engines different from most engines produced right now?

23. Bloke

Bloke Banned

im guessing the fuel systems have slightly greater capacity to cope with the higher fuel need

24. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Based on 72% efficiency and E 85 costing 1.88 I'd still save $11.63 for every 450 miles I traveled :cool:

25. While cool the big picture for this is whats really :bowdown: