COMIC Establishing value for comics?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dumb_end_user, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Don't know if this is kosher or not in here but I didn't see a sticky or a terms of use for this forum.

I have several boxes of comics that I am looking to offload. Most are from the heyday of Image (late 90s). Full sets of Witchblade, Darkness, Ascension, Danger Girl, Fathom, Darkchylde, etc. including almost every variant. None are graded - all are bagged and boarded. What is my best bet for 1) establishing a value for the collection and 2) getting rid of them?

I know that a graded comic is worth more than one that isn't but I don't want to go through the time and expense to get that done. Should I pack them up and take them to my local comic store and see what he will give me for them? Look them all up in Wizard :)mamoru: do they even still print that?) Sell them in lots on eBay? List them individually and sell them?

And before you ask - sorry I don't have an accurate list of what I have right now. I know that will be one of the first priorities

2. void

void oh yeah?

Modern-age (80s/90s) comics are worthless. Your golden and silver age books are valuable since hardly any measures where taken to preserve these books that told the origins or beginnings of these beloved characters.

3. void

void oh yeah?

The fathom stuff may be worth something since Mike Turner has died and won't be seeing his work anymore, and you might get something extra for the Danger Girl bundles (if it's complete), but I couldn't imagine anything over 40 or 50.

ebay is going to be what people most guage prices on comics, and before you check it out, it's best to undervalue your expectations.

4. tolomei

tolomei Leaving Las *****-Vegas

A guy I work with would buy those Danger Girls. :o

5. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

void - thanks. I know they are basically worthless. :mamoru: I was just wondering how little I can expect.

I had no idea Mike Turner died I have a Fathom poster that he personalized and signed for my birthday several years back. :hs:

tolomei - I'll look up what I have and let you know.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  6. void

void oh yeah?

I'd keep it. You should see what his original artwork is going for now-a-days. And it was no-where near cheap before :hs:

7. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

any more info on what darkness stuff you have?

8. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

I'll look into the boxes when I get home. First run 0-? with variants. Probably 20 pieces or so.

9. johnny

johnny shit, baby

If you're confident selecting stuff that cgc would give a 9.6 or higher, I'd just keep it. Or advertise it as such when selling. Clean copies with no spine breaks, corner bends, or thumb creases are hard to come by, even when brand new on the shelf (especially with the modern/current stuff it seems).

10. void

void oh yeah?

it costs about $32 for a single issue to be graded. the biggest discount one can get is $23, but that's submitting at LEAST 30 books and waiting 40 business days to get them.

edit: :rofl: i've been looking at the wrong thing since the beginning of forever

it's $17 a book with a 10 day turnaround, which isn't bad at all..

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  11. johnny

johnny shit, baby

LCS just started providing the service with no extra fees, but they get a deal on bigger lots so they ask that you wait til they get a full docket of customers. I've never sent anything in personally so I'm pretty psyched. All my graded stuff I've bought after the fact.

A good idea for anyone interested would be to buy a few low-buck cgc's from 9.0 through 9.8, and then just deslab them to get a good look at the flaws. It's one of very few things giving comics value anymore. An eBayer I trust just got a $90 opening bid on a crisp, ungraded run of Jonah Hex (the new one).

But my best advice is to simply never let yourself care about it. It's one of the worst things you'll ever do to yourself.