GUN ESPN Special on Athletes carrying guns-anyone see this bullshit?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Wobistdu, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:ugh: Was on yesterday at about 3pm EST. It was a special on them talking to athletes and their perspective on carrying guns. They all came off looking like total idiots.

Karl Malone was on (former basketball player) and is an avid hunter and NRA member. They showed him shooting every gun under the sun, and he then proclaims he thinks it's a bad idea for people to carry a gun on them. It only asks for trouble and makes people carry a bigger ego. Ok, fair enough.

Then he says he wouldn't hesitate for a second to kill someone with a gun if his life was on the line. Ok, a little conflicting.

Then they interviewed this one dumbass former football player. He said when he first joined the NFL, he carried a 380 revolver that was purchased illegally. He said it always made him over analyze situations and start looking for trouble :rofl:. Then one night driving home he threw the gun over a bridge.

Then they talked to a baseball player I believe who was driving in the car and shows how he reaches back to his glock carrying case to grab his gun when he is entering a bad neighborhood or a potentially bad situation... and puts the gun between his legs. I guess he has the foresight to always see a bad situation coming? Because that gun in the backseat in a case is an awesome place to put it in a good neighborhood. After all, bad things only happen in the ghetto right? :rofl:

I really can't stand specials like this. A god damn gun on you shouldn't make you analyze situations differently with optimism or pessimism with or without a gun. The difference comes when a life threatening situation presents itself. Where before the only option was running or trying frantically to fend off the attacker, you now have the option to defend yourself with deadly force.

What is with people and the "big ego" they get when going out with a gun? I don't feel any differently except for maybe a little more relaxed. What do you guys think?

Cliffs: Worth the read I think

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

This is probably in response to that dumbass shooting himself in the leg this weekend :rofl:

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah of course. they brought it up since it has become an issue again :rolleyes:

professional athletes aren't really known for their intelligence. most of them ride through college just playing football or they don't even go to college. half of them fail at making complete thoughts when talking. these idiots shouldn't be carrying

4. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the most disappointing was Malone. He fucking knows better

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

guns are bad, mmmmmmmkay?

6. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I've never understood the media's fascination with seeking celebrity opinion on current events. If I want to know how well that some NBA player performs on the court then asking another pro player makes sense, but why the opinion of a football player or actor on politics should matter is confounding - especially when they tend to be no better informed than the average person...

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah celebs and sports figures need to keep their mouth shut on politics and stuff like this.

8. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

It is dumb asses like him that cause politicians to get their panties in a bunch and pursue anti-gun legislation....

Seriously... Why would a guy who makes $10million or more per year not just hire an armed security person to protect him, if he felt that he was under a high enough threat to warrant such protection?? A dumb ass carrying a gun tucked into his pants, into a busy night club, w/out the proper training, is a threat to everyone in the facility (and obviously to himself)... In such a situation, you are just as/more likely to shoot innocent bystanders as you are a would be attacker, unless you really know how to handle a fire arm in such a situation...

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Why can't anyone ever interview ME?

10. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I'm not any different... only time I carry my glock with me is when I'm going on a trip to see the g/f - who lives an hour in a half away. When driving to Houston I usually keep it in the overnight back on the passenger seat in my truck with a round chambered. I don't chamber a round until I get in the truck, and then eject the round when I arrive at my destination and go inside. I need a holster pretty badly - if nothing other than to protect and cover the trigger.

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

when i carry it's always chambered and ready to fire.

12. Bloody Sunday

wait wait, so you let your loaded firearm just bounce around in a bag in the back of your truck?

sounds pretty irresponsible to me

13. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Typo. Overnight BAG right next to me in the passenger side of the truck.

14. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

And mine is always in a holster

15. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Channel 11 DID interview me when HB89 was passed :dunno:

16. Bloody Sunday

but it's not holstered? :noes: