error with freinds lap top

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by The Ripper, Jul 15, 2008.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Thats the error the computer gives at boot he has a cisnet lap top. I popped in a ubuntu live cd and it booted up properly. I attempted to access his hard drive through ubuntu and I couldnt. I then attempted to use recovery console on a windows xp cd and it gave me the following message,

set up did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Set up cannot continue press f3

From there I went ahead and checked that the hard drive was connected properly. I disconected it and made sure it was connected properly. Everything on it was ok. He said that the problem happened before once when his lap top fell and hit the floor. He disconected the hard drive and then when he reconected it it eventually started working again.

Thnx in advance

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

did yo try forcing the mount of the hd in ubuntu or did it not even show up at all?
    does the hard drive activity light come on and/or do unusual things? any clicking sound or anything?

3. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I tried mounting it through terminal and it wouldn't mount. The light doesnt come on and there is no clicking sound.

4. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

try running testdisk on it, do a partition search and write its findings back to the disk - the partition table may have gotten jacked

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

If there are no lights or any sounds and both windows and linux say no drives are found, you probably have a dead drive or a bad connection. You don't happen to have a 2nd laptop you can test this drive in or another drive, do you?

6. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

The hard drive, it am dead.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

Im going to bring it to class tomorrow or one of these days

8. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

Oh. OK.