A&P Err 99 on 40D? Exchange or get it repaired?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by FlashhslaF, Jun 26, 2008.

1. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

what would you do.

I bought it from Canoga Cameras little over a month ago. So i'm not too sure if they will just let me exchange the camera.

I was thinking of sending it in for repair as i'm not too confident now that the next 40D is going to work without an issue.

Has anyone sent in their camera to Canon. How long did it take for it come back and was your problem fixed?

I've already tried the basic troubleshooting. Its the shutter thats messed up. I was looking forward to the 4th of july trip i'm taking to Atlanta :wtc:

2. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

My friend sent his 30D in for a warranty claim and I guess they replaced his whole internal board and shit. He said the counter or and everything was reset. I dunno if they actually did it but he hasn't had any problems. He said the turn around time was fast too.

3. alexromo

alexromo New Member

wow, already?

happened to my friends 30D after a lot of use, we thinks shutter life is up

(it would be the 6th time he gets that error)

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

What lens?

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

err 99 on my 5D means that there is an issue with a non canon lens. Also, try pressing the shutter button halfway or removing the battery and reinstalling it.

6. W.Shatner

W.Shatner New Member

My back up 30D is in for same issue. Went in Monday I'll keep ya posted on turnaround. It's my shutter too. I put it through alot of use and after one shoot i unmounted the lens and it smelt like burning.

7. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i got this error a couple days ago. :noes: i didn't know what it meant, i just pulled the battery and put it back in and went back to shooting. :o camera worked fine after that and didn't error at all.

edit - i've got a 30d

8. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Most of the time it's jammed aperture blades in the lens.

9. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

i have tried the 17-55 IS and the Sigma 30 1.4. It happens on both lenses. Although the picture still gets taken, but the shutter never fully comes back to its original spot. I can hear it click and then nothing as if its stuck...I can't see through the view finder. I turn the camera off and i hear it click again...then i remove the battery I hear it click again...so its definitely the shutter. I don't think its a lens issue.

10. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

see if it had gone back to normal, then i'd be worried if i'm shooting somewhere important and it does it again, i'm SOL. :dunno:

11. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

ewwww def sounds like shutter issues. mine sometimes err 99s when i accidently bang the lens on the mount.

12. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I got this on my 20d while shooting a show - pulled out battery put back in and started shooting again, havent had it since. If you google it there are some sites that talk about what causes it and how to fix it- on the 20d its the connector on the lens mount and the lens. really not that big of a deal

13. mtkversion

mtkversion Good Times Aplenty

if the battery pulling doesn't work try this ... take a CLEAN gummy pencil eraser and VERY CAREFULLY/GENTLY clean the contacts on the camera and/or lenses you own.

I suggest mounting it on a tripod upside down so no shavings can get into the body.

I did this on my old rebel which would shoot out ERR99 and it's fine now.

(I've been told you can use a lens wipe with a contact cleaning solution but the eraser worked for me so I stick with it.)

14. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

The camera is pretty much brand new and i might have swapped the 2 lenses a total of 10 time. Should the contact lenses have an issue already? I can understand if I changed lenses left and right and didn't care for it, but that is not the case. :dunno: thanks for the help though.

I've already called Canon and got an RMA#. I'll just send it in and get it fixed now, rather than this error popping up again at random.