MMA Equipment question v.gloves

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by dengar, Jan 5, 2007.

1. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I received a 1 year membership to a la boxing that just opened up in my area and I am about to buy some gloves.

I intend on taking the boxing classes and probably will move into the MMA and kick boxing classes as they add them.

This isn't going to be anything serious basically glorified cardio, so would it be best to get a heavier glove like 16 or 18oz. or should i stick with something lighter?

2. teep

teep New Member

I'd say go with 16 oz. That's pretty standard for boxing.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I have 12 oz gloves at home, and I thought that they were a little too light (hurt a lot when I get hit with them). I practiced boxing a little bit with 16 oz gloves and they are perfect.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I like my 14's for bagwork and 18's for sparring.

Unfortunately I think that it's the type of thing you won't know what suits you best until you've tried em all. At least try on each size, do a little shadowboxing, and see what feels best. Definitely get something in the higher range if you end up doing sparring, that way you can use a little more speed and not worry about hitting too hard.

Also, MAKE SURE to get some hand WRAPS! Very important. You have to learn how to use them properly as well, but your gym should be teaching you how. If not there's some good instructionals on the internet on how to do it.

5. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Thanks for the help.

I ordered the 16's