A&P equipment for photoshoot?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Darren, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

one of my lady friends just emailed me and said she wanted to do a photoshoot but didn't have enough money to hire a professional. she knew i'm into photography so she asked if i would like to do the shoot of her. i'm totally down to do it but i'm lacking any additional equipment other than the kit lens my Nikon D50 came with. plus i've never really done a "real" photoshoot so I'm not exactly sure what kind of lenses work best. i can rent lenses and stuff from a local shop here, so i'm wondering what kind of lens and/or flashes i would need to look into renting in order to get the most out of this experience and produce the best pictures possible. everything will be inside and she's providing props, clothes etc.

cliffs: girl wants me to do a photoshoot with her. i have a Nikon D50 with a kit lens. What lens/flashes should i rent to get the best pictures?

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I'd just tell her to find somebody else. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

But if she "can't afford" to hire a professional, then show up with what you've got and tell her not to expect professional level quality.

3. cftofu2k

cftofu2k OT Supporter

do with what you have? natural light, room light, colored wall..

4. DubOverdose

DubOverdose New Member

Don't rent a thing. Shoot with what you've got. If you were ready to rent stuff, you'd know what to rent...and you'd be gettin' paid. Oh, and shoot outside. Indoors is too much trouble unless you're good at editing or have a studio set up. The shadows, white balance, etc. will most likely look like crap.

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

x2

6. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i've taken some decent portrait type shots of my kids with next to no equipment and a 50 1.8. its all about how you use the light and what you have around the house. i waited til the sun was coming in my patio door and reflecting really good off of the kitchen floor and wall (both are white/light). i set up a backdrop of black bath towels draped over a couple of chairs and started snapping away. and outdoors is even easier to use natural light.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

outdoors or window light, if you don't know your flash in and out, don't bother

8. ballz

ballz Two of 'em OT Supporter

have her rent you shit.

or don't expect professional results

9. FidizzyTypeS

FidizzyTypeS Gimme Dem Scones!! OT Supporter

just shoot outside like the other guys said you'll be fine

10. dv8

dv8 OT Supporter

I'm actually against what many folks are saying here about shooting outdoors. Unless you plan it out well.

The problem with shooting outdoors has to do with the time of day. You shoot in the middle of the day with the sun high, either she will be squinting through the entire photo shoot or you will get shadows you can't control. The sun is really hard to shoot under, because clouds move in and out and the light is always shifting.

Another option is figure out a nice shaded spot to shot at in the middle of the day. Try to have the sun somewhat behind you and not behind her.

I like the idea of shooting near a window or finding a place that has huge amounts of light, like a room full of windows.

Next question how comfortable are you at shooting with manual settings and controlling white balance? This is an excellent time for you to experiment. How wide of an apateur can you get on your current lens? Shooting automatic is only going to lead to underexposed shots.

11. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I'd tell her for one, you're new and it may take a few tries and see if she is willing be patient.

Get a better lens, a fast 50mm or an 85mm prime even a fast zoom is good.

Have at least 2 strobes, 2 stands with umbrellas, pocket wizards or gadgets or CLS since you're a Nikon guy. Also have an omnibounce for your strobes also. And last but not least, have someone come with you to help move the strobes around while you are shooting, an assistant is key.

One thing I can also stress is to not settle for anything, or have one of the "I think I got it" moments unless you are truly happy with the results.

If it's just a friend then take full advantage, it's hard to find people who are willing and able to let you practice on.