GUN Equinox opinion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RedDawg, Oct 18, 2006.

1. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

I'm saving my pennies up to purchase my first handgun, i'm hoping by early spring after tax returns that i'll have the $$ to get one. I've been planning to get the sig 229 equinox but i just saw the 220 equinox also. What's your guys opinions on the two of them. I'd also get my carry permit and most likely have it with me daily.

The 229 is .40 cal and either 10-12 round mags while the 220 is a .45 cal but 8-10 round mags, whats the price difference in ammo? Is that 0.05 difference in caliber really any difference? Appearance wise i'm still partial to the stubbier front end on the 229 but i'd like to hear your guys opinions on them.

2. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

glock if you want a 9mm or 40

1911 if you want a 45

3. RedDawg

that answers my questions, thanks.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If you are going to carry concealed, consider the 229. the 220 is a full sized gun and would be harder to conceal. As for caliber, it really doesn't matter as long as you are accurate and practice. A 9mm is a .40 is a .45 unless you are in the military and have to use ball ammo.

I would recommend though that you go to a local range and rent different brands and try them out. All major manufacturers guns are pretty much the same as far as quality and reliability. What makes one better than the other is ergonomics for the person shooting them. A gun that doesn't fit your hand is more likely to have malfunctions due to improper grip.
    You can spend $1000 on a high end HK and it may not be accurate or reliable in your hands as say a $250 Kel Tec. but that same HK in someone else's hand may be 100% reliable. It all comes down to personal fit.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I think it's a really sexy gun. Sigs > all other handguns so I'd go for it if you like it.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

no glock no care

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

.45 will always be better than .40 in terms of self defense. get what you feel most comfortable shooting?

8. RedDawg

i have tried out a glock 40, a sig 9mm & 45, and a USP 40. I liked the sig 45 the best, felt most comfortable and i was most accurate with that one thats why ive decided to go with a sig.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:io:

10. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

229 since you are going to carry.

11. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Glock30 if your ccw'ing, nice and compact and 10 round capacity

13. DaJMan

DaJMan When i was young, i dreamed of being a baseball

sigs are good guns but they're expensive... if you were consistant and comfortable with the sigs then thats what you should lean towards, and if the .45 was the top of the sigs then that again is what you should lean towards.

although the equinox and the elite type of pistol are basically just flash added to the std gun for and unreasonable extra charge, so if you go for a sig, i say, get the std.

14. Artyboy

SigPros are cheap and they feel very similar to regular Sigs to me :dunno:.

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'd pimp an elite. well, I need to try the new triggers first I guess, but still.

16. RedDawg

what does this mean, i know DA/SA is dual-action/single-action right? but what is the benefit from converting it, what is DAK?

17. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I was playing with a 226 Elite at Virginia Arms the other night while waiting for new sights on my 226 (XS Sights ftw). The trigger reset is incredible on the new Elites.

First things first, I love the look of the Equinox Sigs. But you are paying for the wood grips and the night sights. The extra slide finishing is nice but nothing amazing. I wish they had put the front cocking serrations on the equinox like the Blackwater and Elite. I really like the fiber optic front sight but don't really care for Siglites on the rear.

You need to decide if you want to pay that much for the look and extras. A new set of night sights and a set of Hogue grips would be under $150. But if you have to have wood grips and the flashy slide, I understand and you should buy the gun you will like and enjoy the most.

18. Artyboy

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/sigsauer5.html

SigLights for $50. They've got cheap grips there as well

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

9mm, .40, and .45 are all going to do just as good of a job on someone. Personally I suggest you get a 9mm so you can practice cheaper. Shot placement is where all the magic is, you must learn to shoot well.

As far as the equinox, well its just another tarted up sig. Sig loves to make dress up models and sell them for more. If you dig the looks go for it, its not necessary to spend the extra for it over a regular 229 though.

Thumper, how quick is the reset on the elites? I can't stand the regular sigs because of it. Can you compare it to a walther p99 or 3rd gen s&w semis. They're as short as a person can get I think.

20. RedDawg

i'm pretty set on the 229 equinox after reading all the comments, especially yours. I know that i'd like to get the equinox rather than a regular 229 and buying the extras myself, so if i have to save for an extra month or two i'll be happier with the purchase in the long run.

21. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

Great choice. I was not trying to talk down about the Equinox line at all. I just bought a 226R over the summer and looked at the Equinox for quite a while. I just knew the sights were not for me and I would have to replace them anyway. I also knew I would put Hogue finger groove grips on so the wood ones didn't seal the deal either (I have seen people get good $$ selling the grips off of their Equinox, $125+). Beyond the sights and the lack of front cocking serrations (which are more useful then you would imagine) I love everything about the Equinox models. They are beautiful guns.

If you are not already, you should spend some time on Sigforum.com and certainly watch the classified section there.

22. RedDawg

what function do front cocking serrations make? If you couldn't tell already i'm a gun noob and this would be my first purchase. I've done a lot of reading and research at sigforum, i just dont know the basic terms of guns yet (DAK, DA/SA, cocking serrations, etc.)

23. RedDawg

24. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

They are just an additional place on the slide for you to grab when you want to manually manipulate the slide. Certainly not a show stopper but what I consider a nice touch.

Someone linked the sigforum FAQ page, most of your questions will be able to be answered there. If you have any feel free to post them here. Plenty of knowledgeable gun people on here and plenty of Sig junkies here too.