GUN Eotech 517, XPS, or Aimpoint CompC3?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by HorseDick, Jan 28, 2010.

1. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I can get the CompC3 with covers for $370 shipped, but then I need a mount.

I can get the 517 for $395 shipped, and the XPS for $418 shipped.

This is for my Midlength AR. Before Yar starts rambling about Accupoints, it's simply out of my price range. I've shot Eotechs before and really like their reticle, but have not shot through an Aimpoint.

I know some of the older Eotechs had issues, but from what I've read, the new ones are good to go, and everyone seems to love the XPS.

Thoughts?

2. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

I assume you mean the XLP. That's what's I'm leaning toward.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That's a tough question. I got a aimpoint compM3 on my 10/22. Honestly I don't care for it. I had a eothech 512 and while the recticle is good for up close, I just don't like it at all for 200+ yard shots. As far as strait up red dots I think the cleanest is the cmore.

Did you look at the lower price variable like the millet dms. It's not a accupoint but at $200 or whatever you can't beat it as far as price. MG runs one on his AR and taterote has one too.

4. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Thunder, I was referring to the new Eotech XPS.

[​IMG]

Yar, I was looking at the DMS-1. I've heard that the newer versions are very high quality, all the kinks have been worked out, and customer service is good. I definitely wouldn't mind only having to spend $200 on an optic, but is it something I could trust my life to?

5. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Also, I've heard that the DMS sucks for close quarters stuff. Seems like you can't beat the Eotech in that regard, and with the 1MOA dot shooting out to 100-200 yards shouldn't be a problem.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If your talking trust your life to then don't be cheap. Get a trijicon at the minimum for a variable power scope.

7. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

You brought up the DMS, not me. I wouldn't have a problem trusting an Eotech (esp. the XPS) or an Aimpoint, and they're in my price range of under $500. :dunno:

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I didn't see the disclaimer of having to be able to trust my life with it. I only mentioned the dms because the orginal post hinted about a budget of around $400. If I only had $200 and had to do rings/mount too then I would do the DMS.

If this were a fighting rifle I would invest more money for better equipment. If it's mostly a range toy and something to shoot I would have no problem doing a dms as I think you'll enjoy shooting it like a rifle more. If this is say a home defense rifle I guess the eotech makes more sense. I'm baised that AR's should have proper scopes unless I know it's going to be a under 100 yard short range competition rifle, or dedicated room entry/CQB rifle.

For a defensive rifle I grab while bugging out I would want a TR-24.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You didn't specify you needed to rely on it with your life.

10. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

At the moment, it will just be a range toy. In the future, who knows...if something happens, chances are this is the gun I'm reaching for. Either way I'd rather not buy an optic that's considered substandard and have to buy a more expensive one later on.

On the other hand, I am working with a budget here but I'm open to suggestions. If a used TR21 would be THAT much better, I'll consider it...I'm all ears.