A&P EOS 300D from your average joe (56k warn)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fliptight, Oct 19, 2003.

1. fliptight

fliptight Guest

you must've read all about the 300D from a bunch of websites and how great it is. but maybe you've thought ok these guys are all hardcore or pros. what would the camera be like for me?

yeah i've never shot with an SLR camera before or even really shot with film for that matter. only liked taking pictures when i got my coolpix 775 back then. but even then i noticed the lag compared to those cheap walmart cameras.

so anyway i was walking around walmart and they had film SLR cameras on display and i picked one and played with. im like wow this is nice. fast autofocus. the new Powershot A70 i bought just less than 2 months ago doesn't even come close. so i go home. read a lot of reviews. and boom one week later i spend $1000 on the Digital Rebel DSLR. i had lots of doubts i was like damn man this is a lot of money i must be crazy. i thought i might return it.

but when you start shooting with this thing you dont Really wanna go back to consumer digicams anymore. it's fast. and i dont mean loading pics and stuff. it's real responsive. it focuses fast, even indoors in low light. and it even shoots fast. pretty much no shutter lag (actually around 200-250ms canon claims). but i mean seriously you can FEEL the difference. even my gf who is not very techy was like "WOW this feels like a real camera!"

lol yeah and it really does feel "real". i love this camera. if you've never picked up an SLR in your life you gotta try, even if its film. the digital version of it will be pretty much the same. anyway you're probably interested in seeing pictures.

usual car stuff (if you've ever seen my prev threads):

[​IMG]

night images are real clean even with long exposures.

a shot of my neice:

[​IMG]

clean low indoor lights are actually possible without a tripod now! can you believe that was taken with ISO 400? and honestly ISO 800 and ISO 1600 doesn't really get much worse than that

some pictures of my girlfriend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i really like the lower depth of field that SLRs have (blurrier background for those who dont know wth im talking about).

and finally just some fun pics of stupid shit we do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so anyway yeah long post. but yeah these pictures of course really can't describe how the camera feels. you really gotta try it. it really Does feel like a real camera. whenever you want to take the picture it takes it, no "give me a second or so i can focus and find the proper exposure" crap. you'll even like the real shutter sound it makes =P haha

so yeah im definitely not a pro or anywhere close but the EOS 300D is a GREAT camera and i feel its worth every penny. i would never even consider a smaller sensor consumer camera anymore after this. now i gotta sell my Nikon Coolpix 775 and my Canon Powershot A70 i just bought 8/21/2003 so i can get some of my money back =D

2. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so funny, yet so true : :wtc: :hs:

3. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

i just bought one today, but haven't had much time to do anything with it... will post cool pics when i get the chance to take some (there's an autox next weekend)

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

if i can ever afford one...i would DEFINITLY go DSLR. even though i love my olympus c4000...the slow focus and shutter lag bites.

5. durus

durus Guest

wish I had the money for something like that...I'm settling with a g3.

6. Ekliptix

Ekliptix New Member

I'm considering one.

All the above shots were with the included lense?

7. fliptight

fliptight Guest

yeah the Canon EF-S 18-55mm. nice lens for $100 really, buti just went to a kickboxing practice tonight and unfortunately the lens is definitely too slow for indoor even at ISO 1600 for full telephoto

[​IMG]

8. redna

redna New Member

sample pics of said slowness please.

9. fliptight

fliptight Guest

well actually to make a correction i meant the lens is too slow for fast action indoor like kickboxing. at full zoom, it stops down all the way to f/5.6 so i tried to avoid using that. even then it would dip down to 1/40 to 1/50 at times which is either not enogh to freeze the action, or at full zoom, not enough to avoid camera shake

here's some mediocre pics that night, couldve had better pictures but oh well

http://www.utdallas.edu/~afs014100/kickbox1021/

those were all taken at ISO1600