A&P EOI: Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 for Nikon F Mount

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Merli, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Bought it about 3 months ago... Limited use, maybe 1000 shutter cycles (generous estimation) Mint+++ condition. I look after my stuff :)

Reason: Want to upgrade.

Sells for $739.00 on Adorama brand new. I'm looking for around $600 for it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

What the fuck, why do you guys get black soft cases and we get green ones? :mad:

And what are you getting...70-200 VR? :eek3:

3. Merli

I bought it first... He copied me cos he has penos envy ;) Just kidding... It truely is a great lens and I would recommend it to anyone. I've shot some amazing shots with this lens (if I may be so humble ;))

- Fast focusing HSM (Hypersonic Motor) virtually silent, highly responsive auto and manual focusing, as well as manual focus only override.
    - EX, hard wearing and great looking black finish
    - APO lenses. Special Low Dispersion (SLD) apochromatic glass increases brightness and contrast whilst eliminating chromatic aberration.
    - Internally focusing elements means focusing and zooming is done by moving internal glass positioning. No external movement or lens extension to zoom or focus.

Beautiful bokeh, as you can see in the following sample images... This truely is a wonderful lens... I might have to give it a hug before selling it :(

4. Merli

Bioyuki: Still deciding what lens to replace this with... I have to see how much longer the Nikkor 70-200 VR is and see if it'll fit into my two Lowepro bags... I can't keep buying new photography bags, they cost soooooooo much :(

Sample image from this lens that I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Yummy pics man. :)

How far back were you when you took the Skyline engine bay and Supra arse end?

6. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Oooh, an Ultima :eek3: one of the cars I'd love to get my hands on.

7. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

My Lowepro bag is full and I think I'm done with bags, I'm just gonna get a Pelican case :o

8. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

PS, Andrew, if at some stage you want to sell any of your bags (bearing in mind I have absolutely no idea how big they are etc.) then let me know, I am outgrowing the small Lowepro bag that I originally thought would big enough.

9. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Hmmm I've had my Lowepro Mini Trekker AW for a year now and its in great shape...it fits a pro level SLR with a 70-200 f/2.8 attached, an extra body and 4-5 other lenses/speedlights.
    http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/minitrkaw.htm

If I get a Pelican case I'll be selling this, you interested?

10. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

Hmm, that looks nice, but if I were to buy something larger I don't think I'd want to go the route of a backpack, as it looks like it would be a pain to get to in a reasonable hurry, and I won't be needing anything THAT big. Thanks for asking, though.:) My current bag is a shoulder bag, and that's probably my preference. Thanks for asking though. Again, I have no idea what type of bags Merli has, so they may not even be suitable, assuming he's even interested in selling. :)

My kit will probably end up consisting of:

300D body
    Tamron 17-35 Di f/2.8-4
    Tamron 28/70 Di f/2.8
    Canon 70-200 f/4L
    Speedlite 550EX or similar
    Any other miscellaneous crap, blow brush, filters, lens hoods etc. Mayyybe a Apacer DiscSteno or something... Obviously a bit of spare space wouldn't hurt, but that's about all I'll have.

Currently I have only a small Lowepro shoulder bag, not sure what model but it won't be big enough once I buy either the Speedlite or the Canon 70-200...

11. Merli

My two bags (at the moment) are:

Nova 4 AW: http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/nova/nova4aw.htm
    It's the second largest in the shoulder-mounted Nova range, and quite honestly it gets pretty heavy once fully loaded. Not sure how people can carry a fully loaded Stealth Reporter 500 all day without rubbing their shoulders raw :ugh:
    The Nova 5 has greater width, but is actually smaller in height than the Nova 4 and my 70-200mm JUST fits in the Nova 4 (0.5inches clearance).

My other one is a black Orion Trekker: http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/oriontrk.htm
    As you can probably guess by the photo on that page, I have to lay the 70-200mm down flat in the photographic compartment (with extra padding underneath) and this wastes a lot of space.

So actually, both bags aren't suitable for me :uh:

This is the one I should have bought/will buy next:http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/roverawII.htm

And Tex, although you think that the backpack style bags are a pain to get to gear in a hurry (which is true), there isn't much other choice if you want to pack some non-photography gear and go for a day-trek into the national parks or something... I'll be heading off to the Hunter Valley for Easter and that top compartment of that backpack will be packed full for my exploratory walks :)

12. Tex

Tex Now with avatar™

That's a fair point, I guess, I hadn't thought of that - I had, however, considered that a shoulder bag might get a bit heavy to carry when fully laden, and carrying something heavy on one shoulder only sure isn't good for your back. Perhaps a backpack would be a wiser option.

Bioyuki, out of interest, how much would you be wanting for that bag if you were to sell? I don't know what they retail for here, nor what the cost of sending one from you to me would be, but it seems kind of funny to have you send something from the States that I can buy here on my lunch break. :)

Aaaanyway, I suppose I should go to Fletchers and peruse their selection of bags to get a better idea of what I should look for. Then no doubt I'll see even more shit I want to spend my money on. :wtc:

13. dmora

dmora Guest

Is that lens just for telephotos? Or did you shoot those macros with it too?

Why would i want this lens instead of say... the one that comes with the D70?

14. Merli

Those photos above aren't macros, but they were taken with this exact lens.

The 18-70mm D70 kit lens is a "wide-angle zoom"... It's an all purpose lens for scenery and things like that.

This is a 70-200mm "telephoto zoom", which obviously allows you to get much closer to subjects than the 18-70 will.

With both these lenses, you'll have every focal length from 18-200mm covered with good quality glass throughout the entire range. Much much much better than buying those budget 70-300mm zooms and the like that you'll just be disappointed with when you look at the photos they take.