MIL EOD

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by usmcdevil, Sep 6, 2007.

1. usmcdevil

usmcdevil wouldnt you like to know

thats what i wanted to enlist as but i couldnt get it. how hard is the school? cuz id love to do a LAT move to do it

2. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Definitely not one of the easier schools in the military.

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I have a friend in it right now since he lat moved who is about half way through.

He says there is alot to learn, but it still manages to be pretty fun.

He seems to like it.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I know two people who failed out of it. They said the first few weeks are tough because you are required to memorize a ton of different explosives, country of origin, and type.

5. IEDJunky

IEDJunky Member

If you don't have good reading comprehension, crappy study habits and poor attention to detail chances are the school will own you. You can have fun at the school...you just have to know when. Those that didn't, didn't make it.

6. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

drop out rate is pretty high
    i know of at least 4 people in AIT who were former EOD students
    cool guys, i know 1 guy who really should have gotten the MOS
    i'd just hate to see him be killed though

7. usmcdevil

that seems like a badass MOS one thats exciting

8. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

you have to get scuba rating for it as well, they pt hardcore everyday and you get slammed with tons of info. i do demolitions and the shit i had to learn a lot of stupid shit for explosives and demining training.

9. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

89D...best MOS in the Army imo. Plus the community is small and tight knit...and from what i've seen thus far...the majority of techs are fucking hilarious.

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

If you liked Algebra in high school, then go for it.

I'm not sure if the 0351 Assaultman MOS still does demo or not, but I had to learn quite a few formulas and it was kind of tough, but i'm bad at math.

I'm sure EOD has to learn about a billion more formulas than 0351's, so good luck.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

One of the guys in my platoon just reenlisted and is lat moving to EOD, the fucker got an $89,000 reenlistment bonus as long as he completes the school.

12. Accord

Accord New Member

Our role right now is pretty much we're 0311's who carry explosives. The SMAW is rarely used anymore in Iraq.

Demo ranges are fucking fun. Being in a unit that has a massive budget because we're going on a MEU(SOC) and can afford to send us to awesome Army demo ranges = the motherfucking win.

13. usmcdevil

where your MEU heading

14. kidhero

what do you play with? just c4 and dynamite? i'm confused as to what assaultman's role is. we had a sgt. assualtman in my combat engineering class and he said he had to learn how to operate LAVs

15. Accord

Accord New Member

Assaultmen are the bastard children of the grunts, our MOS description and role changes every couple years. The role of 51's during the initial push into Iraq is totally different than our role now. We play around with C4, TNT, Det Cord, Dynamite, and a host of other things of that nature except we use it in an offensive role as opposed to engineers. We make all of our own charges and devices, for instead of carrying M67's I carry grenades I built myself that are far better and then we've got our bag of tricks with everything from donut charges and water charges to homemade satchels. Right now 99% of what we do is breaching and demolitions, as opposed to just a couple years ago where the majority of what we did was with the SMAW and not so much explosives.

I think we're the only MOS that carries a TI-89 graphing calculator into combat :rofl: :rofl:. They fit perfectly in an M16 mag pouch.

The only bad thing about 51's is that we're many times forced to play EOD. If there's an IED or some shit and EOD is taking forever.... 51's up :hsd:.

By no means are we EOD and our level of training in dealing with explosives doesn't even come close, however if your ultimate goal is infact EOD then either combat engineers or 51's is definitely a good way to prepare you for it. There are normally only 10 to 15 open slots for 0351's in every class at SOI out of 250+ Marines, so unless you're shit hot with math then your chances of getting the MOS aren't great. If I was planning on staying in for longer than 1 enlistment I would definitely lat move to EOD.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  16. kidhero

you're describing everything i do :ugh: wtf