MIL entomologists and EHO's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kroneX, Aug 15, 2009.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Hey guys I am a graduate student with a Degree in ecology and conservation biology. I have done my little aptitude tests and maths tests for the Australian defense force and destroyed it, and I can go in for Specialized Officer which is where you guy come in.

There are two jobs that really appealed to me.

First job is the one i hope to get in Scientific Research Officer (entomology), which is based right in my hometown of Brisbane at the Australian Army Malaria Research Institute.

• pre-clinical development and evaluation of new antimalarial drugs and drug regimens to counter the increasing threat of drug-resistant malaria
    • clinical evaluation of new anti-malarial drug regimens and arboviral vaccines
    • novel malaria diagnostic methods
    • monitoring of drug resistance and development of DNA-based techniques to characterise malaria parasites and identify molecular markers of drug resistance
    • epidemiological, behavioural and ecological investigations to determine the role of vectors in transmitting malaria and arboviral diseases and to provide risk assessment for deployed forces
    • evaluation of new insecticides and personal protection measures, with special reference to repellents and protective clothing
    • development of laboratory and field tests to assess the efficacy of new antiviral vaccines during clinical studies and to monitor virus transmission in the field
    The bolded stuff is the stuff i have experience with in my degree.
    It sounds like a satisfying job making sure our troops don't get made combat ineffective by disease. However I will probably have to do my masters in entomology (which the army said they would pay for, but add to my minimum enlistment length)

Second job is Environmental Health officer

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/EnvironmentalHealthOfficer/

For this job I am not as excited, and get based pretty much anywhere, the job is also available in the army, and would have to do 1 more year of uni as a post grad diploma

Does anyone have any insider info on these positions, and if they are fun and enjoyable and how much travel is involved in each.

thanks again guys

2. kroneX

kroneX New Member

anyone gonna give me some advice?

3. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

i dont think anybody here is involved in the aussie military

but they're probably cool

4. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Doesn't have to be aussie military, most defense forces have entomologist and EHO's just wondering if anyone has run into them at all