SRS entering eating disorder treatment tomorrow

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by boeingair, Feb 25, 2008.

1. boeingair

boeingair New Member

hello all,

i don't usually post here--sorry i haven't been there for those of you also struggling, but i look forward to getting to know you all better in the future

i have finally decided to seek treatment for my eating disorder--tomorrow.

for years i told myself it was just to keep things under control, and that i could stop any time, but now it controls me--i can't stop restricting

i'm a male, 5' 8" and 100-105lbs, freshman at a large university

i don't know how many years of this it's been, but it's time for it to stop

i'm afraid i won't be able to do it, but at the same time, i have to--i won't let this win

thanks for listening

2. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Great decision, you'll do well in the program. It's really a hard thing to deal with, but you've taken a really good step here. Be open, forthcoming, and honest while in the program, your recovery and character depend on it. :cool:

3. Punky72

Punky72 New Member

:wavey:

Good to hear. I know this is a very difficult step to take, but admitting to yourself that you have this disorder was the hardest part.

I am a recovering Anorexic. I developed Anorexia when I was 14 yrs old. I started therapy for it when I was 16 and half dead. I was, at that time, 5'6" and weighed 92 lbs. It is a disorder that even now at 36 yrs old I struggle with. However, though many yrs of therapy I have been able to keep myself at a healthy weight of 145 now. You really need a support system outside of therapy as well. People who really care about you and pay attention to what you are/are not eating. I find it helpful to have friends who are also recovering from eating disorders to talk to when you are feeling yourself slip back into it. It helps a lot to talk to people who know what the hell you are going through.

You have taken the first step toward recovery and that is something to be proud of....this is not going to be an easy road to travel but if you need anyone to talk to about it, please do not hesitate to AIM me at Punkyb1972. Just remember be honest with yourself and your therapist...It may seem like an uphill battle at this point but I assure you it does get easier to deal with after a while.

You have already made the decision to not let it win over you and control you anymore...so trust me, at this point you CAN and WILL make it through this.

Anytime, AIM me if you need to.

4. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

Dude, that's AWESOME!! :h5: That's a hard ass decision to make. Are you going inpatient or outpatient?

Recovery is HARD. It's scary. You'll question if you really want to recover about a million times, you'll get completely overwhelmed at the prospect of not having your ED to rely on, you'll have to figure out who you are without your Ed, but if you really want recovery, you'll be able to do it. It DOES get easier.

Pm me or IM me at dancinupastorm01 if you need to talk sometime. :wavey:

5. Dreams2Reality

Dreams2Reality saywhat

Fucking right on brother! Good for you man. Let us know how everything progresses!:wavey:

6. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

:hug:

Good luck to you. Let us know how things go :)

7. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Best of luck to you. Now that you've realized that it's a problem, it can only get better.

8. boeingair

boeingair New Member

thanks so much for the replies everyone--it means so much to me

i am going to try to avoid inpatient, because i am a freshman at a great university, and have a lot of things going on right now--i would really like not to have to leave all that

but i also understand that i may need to do that to get better, and that has to be my top priority--i can't let this beat me. i'll wait to see how i am evaluated, but if i do need inpatient, id rather wait until the summer

thanks so much for the support guys--it's great to know that other people have struggled and succeeded

hope you all are well

9. althepirate

althepirate Talk nerdy to me.

:hug: The fact that [a] you've admitted you have a problem and you are willing to give both outpatient and inpatient treatment a chance is great.

Best of luck to you. We're here for you!

10. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

good luck :wavey:

11. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

How did it go today Boe?

12. boeingair

boeingair New Member

thanks again to you all for your replies--i can't tell you how much it means to me

my condition is pretty bad--i went in for the couple of blood tests, and they ended up making me stay for a number of other exams, including an EKG

after the tests were performed, they told me they wanted to send me directly to the ER to be admitted, because of my heart rate

the doctor somehow didn't know that i take a beta-blocker for migraine prevention, so when he found out, he backed off the ER a little bit

however, he did say that if any of my tests come back abnormal in any way, i need to go directly to the hospital, and i just need to start eating, period

i am afraid, because being hungry is such a strong coping mechanism for me that i can feel a lot of resistance (psychologically) within myself to the idea of eating more

thanks so much for listening--hope you all are well

13. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

how fast is your heart rate usually? try to take it easy and just eat and not strain yourself.

14. Darth_Kelly

Darth_Kelly Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.

Best of luck to recovery with you... I know how hard it is to do so.
    Stay strong and really give recovery your all :)

15. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Beta blockers slow down your heart rate.

16. BlaXicaN

BlaXicaN OT Supporter

yeah i know, i was just curious what his current resting heart rate is. i might try a beta blocker though, not for that, but for palpitations, which happens in us tall thin guys. im 6ft 135lb.

17. boeingair

boeingair New Member

thanks so much for the support, everyone :wavey: :)

after 3 minutes of lying down yesterday, it was measured to be 49bpm

18. Mangopork

Mangopork New Member

GOOD FORTUNE.

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

19. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

. My mother got so ill and always felt like she was having a heart attack or her heart was going to pound out of her chest when she was on beta blockers. After consulting her doctor, she decided she's rather live with her random migraines or taking other medications than feel like that. Beta blockers can be a scary thing.