MIL Enlisting with degree....... SEALs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Zee916, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Zee916

Zee916 Engineering the world.......

This is not a thread about how hard BUDs/SQT is. I know the pipeline, I know the training.

I simply want some opinions on this path. I will be getting BS ME and Math in May.

For those that are gonna say go to OCS.... not an option for me for many different reasons that I won't bore with.

I realize the inherit consequences of failure with this course of action and am just looking for general input right now, whatever it may be.

For the people that are gonna say its too hard, you wont make it, don't try cause most people fail..... well I'm not an average joe who wants to play commando after watching GI Jane. I've been to USMC OCS, not comparing it to BUDs or anything, and understand the mindset that you must implement to succeed in difficult military training.

I was reading that around 75-80% of enlisted SEALs now have college degrees, which makes a lot of sense.

Opinions?

2. woot

woot wo

I don't have anything constructive to add but this thread caught my eye because we have the same degrees. Just curious why you want to enlist vs being commissioned as an officer.

3. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

did you do shitty?

4. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

What happened at Quantico? Depending on how it went would be how I tailor my advice

5. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

The college degree rate is true. All the seals I know have degrees.

6. Zee916

Torn rotator cuff, surgery is scheduled for sometime in June but no date is set.

I need to look up the info but I hope shoulder surgery is not disqualifying factor.

7. mothafknCHARLIEnshit

mothafknCHARLIEnshit omghi2u OT Supporter

don't mean to be a dick, but if you broke at OCS, what makes you think you won't break at some point in the SEAL training?

and i'm speaking strictly physically

8. Zee916

No, I understand your concern completely.

I didn't break at OCS. Yes, the injury happened there but the initial problem hit in early March and I left in May.

I didn't touch a weight between then and when I shipped to hopefully try and heal whatever was the problem. I didn't see the point in going to a Dr. and having him tell me not to go. I had put to much into getting ready to not go for it and just hoped for the best.

This time around I will be 110% healthy and ready to go if I decide this is the path I wanna take.

If my shoulder will hold out, my body can handle the demands.

9. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Everyone on the internet wants to be a SEAL.

And the statement about 75-80% of all SEALs have degrees is a little high, it's more like that many have or are currently working toward one.

10. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

Stop asking and just fucking do it. No point in getting reassurance from the internet. Its all in your head and who gives a fuck if SEALs have degrees, it won't make you any more 'likable' in the pipeline save for maybe your math skills help out in some foreseeable way.

11. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i have nothing relevant to add
    and just feel like trolling with pointless banter
    GO MARSOC they are the new kid on the block of special operations, the SEALS are old and busted and have a bad reputation as poor operators in theater (partly true from the many second hand account i have heard :o...the only good thing i have heard about them is their fitness level and their ability to enjoy physical discomfort )

12. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

i heard the same thing from 1st Force, they said the SEALs they worked with in Iraq were a joke

13. MMJ4mil

MMJ4mil Active Member

come to coronado ill try to sneak on base and give you some hot chocolate when you class up hah

14. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

You guys are hilarious.