MIL Enlisting and working up to a Ranger vs. West Point and going to a Ranger

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pineapple Devil, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

what are your views on this? Having a person that enlists at 18 and works their way up to graduate from Ranger school as opposed to someone that goes to West Point and goes through Ranger school.

2. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

someone can correct me if I wrong, but they both go to the same ranger school.

So its not like the tab is just handed to the officers

3. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

regardless of rank...they all go through the same course.

4. There is no difference between someone who enlists and goes to ranger than someone who goes to westpoint and goes to ranger. its like kinggovenor said they don't just hand out tabs to officers.

5. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

It seems infinitely easier to go to ranger school as an officer than as an EM. I dont see too many E-5s and below with tabs unless they are in the batt. Especially with the way deployments have been.

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i think thats what i'm getting at and what ive heard from people i know that are enlisted. they give props to anyone that can get through ranger school but its just not the same as someone that has enlisted, been deployed, and went through ranger school as opposed to someone that went through WP then straight on to Ranger school

7. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

It's easier for officers to get Ranger school slots mainly because it's expected for infantry officers to be tabbed, as well as many other combat arms officers. Ranger school is a tactical leadership course, which is more important for senior NCO's and officers than it is for enlisted soldiers. However, it is a great course for anyone to go to regardless of rank. That is why you will see many more officers tabbed than enlisted.

8. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

I don't think your understanding what im saying. If you enlist, go infantry, get deployed, and return, theres no guarantee that your going to get a slot. As an officer, you have to work for it too if your not infantry, but its still infinitely easier to get at any point. Your not competing against every E-6 - E-4 in your brigade that wants to go. Someone going right out of IOBC is the exact same as someone going after their deployment. Except the success rate for the officers is higher because it just ends up being an extension of their training.
    In the end its just a piece of cloth. Everyone I know that has one is proud to have one, but they all agreed that they learned nothing of value and don't see it as being a very big deal.

9. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Are you Ranger Qualified or a Qualified Ranger? :hsugh: (Let's see who get's this one...)