Enlightenment - What is that? - The power of NOW (everyone in vag should read this)

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by evh, Jun 21, 2009.

1. evh

evh Active Member

The above is just the opening segment.

I really believe everyone here in the vag should pick this up and read it. It really allows you to become aware of why our minds never stop over-analyzing things which ultimately contributes to our unhappiness. It explains how our own evolution as humans is currently in a state of confusion and how almost everyone who is uninformed of this information is being used by their brain (and not the other way around; i.e. you using your brain).

I highly suggest everyone pick this up. I started reading it and already everything makes so much sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Now-Gui...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245553161&sr=8-1
    "The Power of Now" - Eckhart Tolle

If anyone would like a downloaded copy, PM me. I suggest you spend the money and buy the actual book, though, as I have.

2. evh

evh Active Member

i know this looks like a spam thread, but i'm dead serious. you all need to read this book asap.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

are you saying no, you're not going to read it because you know who Tolle is (implying he sucks or something :rofl: )?

4. evh

evh Active Member

so then take his teaching and apply it to your mindset.

that = formula for success

5. evh

evh Active Member

I honestly believe that unless you have tripped on psychedelics (shrooms or LSD) you will not be able to really, firsthand understand what he means by your subconscious fucking with you.

6. evh

evh Active Member

success according to society and/or yourself.

if you're at peace with yourself at all times, how can you go wrong?

7. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

I was hoping this would never get to the Vag.

It's infecting the pick-up community right now like a bloody magic pill.

0% content, 100% rhetoric.

Tolle hits a certain note without ever saying anything.

Unreal Player, when you say it helps a lot of people (i.e., a lot of people help themselves and blame it incorrectly on the book), are you making an inference from the number of books the guy has sold, or are you actually talking from personal experience?

8. JohnJohnJohnson

:bowrofl:

9. JohnJohnJohnson

Well, it sells. I have no doubt that it makes people feel good.

I am skeptical however that putting someone in a certain mood by striking a certain tone without saying anything actually leads to greater happiness in life.

10. JohnJohnJohnson

It might. I just have no reason to believe it does.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

So it's basically like an hour long corporate meeting full of buzzwords where someone talks the entire time yet nothing gets said :rofl:

12. JohnJohnJohnson

Apart from the difference in style and mood - the flavor, in short - it's exactly like that.

13. evh

evh Active Member

I'll tell you one thing my dude. I have witnessed this happen time and time again. I'd like to think I'm one of these people myself, as I've been told often that I have an "energy" to me.

What I'm referring to is charisma. Now, I guess I'm taking this a little out of context in reference to the book, however I'm applying this to real life right now.

Charisma. I'm sure you've come across certain people in your life that no matter what they are talking about or saying, it just sounds "right", "true", "agreeable", "smooth", and/or/etc. any of the above. This "charisma", or charm that a person may posses is just a mindset that one is able to achieve at will. It's a rare thing to be able to control it like that, but with the knowledge this book provides I believe that you can take your mind's focus off of unimportant matters and "live in the now". Everything he talks about is honest and up front. He states in the beginning of the book that what he is going to speak about is something you already possess (which you do. however, you're unaware of it). This type of logic/thinking will often raise the question "If I'm not able to see something, is it really there?". The answer is yes. Tolle makes you understand this by his word usage.

This book can be interpreted in many ways. The way I believe to be most useful, is that your mind is just an organ like any of your other parts. Your brain works nonstop, and as much as you want to think you have control of it, you don't. Again, it's just like any other organ, for example say your heart. Your heart constantly beats and flows, interprets information and processes signals sent by your nervous system. It's just an organ.

The difference is that you have voluntary control over your mind, and that your mind rapidly switches between "you controlling it" and "it controlling you." This is the psyche we're dealing with now.

The basic message out of his whole book, I think, is to just realize that everything you're thinking is just a thought! As obvious as that seems, it's not! Your emotions take control over you and cause you to "feel" certain things. As I said earlier, I have tripped on many psychedelics and as a result I am very aware of my own conscious and subconscious. Many people do not understand that we have a subconscious. They are mildly aware of it, but they do not understand or experience it in the slightest.

I guess I'll try to describe my mindset during an acid trip that I had:
    I'm sitting outside on a sunny, gorgeous day. I'm sitting in a lawn chair. I'm seeing my neighbor across the street mowing his lawn while listening to his ipod. I'm listening to my own ipod as well, and the song switches to one that heavily is associated with my ex-girlfriend. I have the realization that "emotional bonds"/"prior attachment" are merely nothing. Simple as it is, that's it. It's a scenario and/or collection of memories and/or ideas possibly true or false that are able to be identified by my mind.

Feelings are nothing but a release of chemicals into my body (by my mind) that cause me to have some sort of physical reaction. In my opinion, as humans we have recently stopped physically evolving (for many reasons), and switched to an evolution of the mind. Right now, I believe that we haven't yet reached our equilibrium between conscious and subconscious thought. You have to realize that the abundance of such great and high intelligence is a recent thing. The type of technology that is around today developed exponentially. So fast, in fact, that we can't even keep up with it. I'm not talking about keeping up with the latest trend or hottest cell phone, I'm literally talking about us, as humans, not being caught up to technology in terms of evolution. Evolution is a slow ass fucking process, and our minds are just not yet ready to be in the state they are today. We're not ready for it. Due to our premature development (mentally), our minds are currently in a state where they are working against themselves. Again, we haven't reached that balance that we require. I think this explains why depression is so common, along with the many other slew of mental diseases that so many people posses today.

Back to my awesome lawn chair... Again, I'm sitting in my lawn chair right now, listening to the most beautiful music on a gorgeous afternoon. Life is great. I'm healthy, intelligent, and able. More importantly, I am. I exist. There's so much to do in this world that's actually REAL. Maybe bike riding or sky diving. Thinking about a past scenario is nothing. It's still me sitting in my lawn chair. It does absolutely nothing for me to think about the past. Thinking about the future even, is pointless. My life has time and time again taken radical turns that could have never been predicted.

What I'm getting at, all in all, is to live in the now. Forget everything else, it's unimportant and has no positive benefits to your current being.

I'm rambling at this point. I guess what I'm really trying to explain is unexplainable. I can only offer an example:
    I just typed out a really long post for OT. How fucking awesome is it that I can sit here on a ridiculously attractive piece of machinery (my macbook pro) and talk to other (probably) awesome individuals over the internet. Fucking sick!

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah, better spend all your money in the NOW so you can maximize your fun NOW. Don't worry about possible emergencies tomorrow where you might need money. Just worry about NOW.

Or have lots of unsafe sex cuz it feels good NOW. Don't worry about pregnancies or STDs. Those things aren't NOW :ugh2:

15. evh

evh Active Member

I don't think you're understanding his message then. As soon as I read his words, I could identify with his message immediately. And again, I credit that to my psychedelic drug trips, where I have found what I believe to be "temporary enlightenment". Take this how you please, though just remember there's a reason why ancient shamans and indian tribes credit such drugs to easily helping them attain a state of peace and enlightenment. These types of chemicals allow your mind to be aware of everything it normally filters out. For example, looking at a fat bitch while you're sober will subconsciously trigger thoughts, connotations, anecdotes, etc. You won't be aware of almost any of them. When you're on these types of things, you'll look at a fat bitch and suddenly see her in a completely different way. I will admit, I cannot describe how this experience/feeling. It is something that in my opinion, everyone needs to experience.

A notable thing that occurs under shrooms/lsd is the splitting of the ego. You literally become two beings. There's "I" and "myself". Touching yourself in any place, whether it be your arm, or hair, or leg, whatever is an eye-opening experience. Your brain normally filters out your own touch. In simpler words, touching your own body feels vastly different than someone else touching your body. On these types of drugs, when you touch your own body, "I" is touching "myself". Look at "I" and "myself" as two separate entities. That's what they are. Your brain normally filters out your ability to distinguish between the two. Again, on these chemicals, those barriers and filters are lifted, not only for the sense of touch, but for every sense you have. The filters, barriers, and mental blocks in your mind are also removed. This is a liberating feeling, you genuinely experience the world exactly as it is, without any of your own mental influence.

16. evh

evh Active Member

Now you're taking what I said to an extreme. Everything is about balance. Everything in moderation.

Like I said, understand the concepts, apply them to yourself (when it's necessary and when it's to your advantage) And then:

that = success

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm not taking anything to an extreme. You said "forget EVERYTHING else."

18. evh

evh Active Member

Yes, Yes I did. I'm also trying to explain myself in one, contained post. I'm not even done with the book myself, I'm only reiterating what I've picked up from it so far.

So yeah, you caught me on a contradiction, though by my own error. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean. In the process of composing my post, I got a little carried away for I was in the process of explaining something.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'm gonna read some amazon reviews.

20. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

While the basic philosophy of find intrinsic values and strength rather than validating one's self through extrinsic means is a a valid one, I don't think that most people need to read a book to achieve this. I believe that most people achieve this through life and maturing.

If this is the diet coke of philosophy and it's popular... well, good for all the people it's helped.

I'm just saying it can be acquired for free. Much like when it comes to exercise, you can either pay $50-$300 an hour for a professional trainer to tell you what to do, or you can bunker down and do the research for yourself. Most people choose the trainer route because it's easier to be spoon fed knowledge than to try and gain it for yourself.

21. evh

evh Active Member

why would you want to not be at peace with yourself? i mean, if you wanna live in constant misery and/or (di)stress then go for it. you're free to do whatever you like.

however, it doesn't work for me and it doesn't work for most.

22. evh

evh Active Member

Alright, I agree with you. I must say, you put that into words absolutely perfectly. You have a smooth writing style, nice. Are you a good lyricist, perhaps?

Anyways, what it boils down to, and this is what I was trying to get at, is that you can reach this path of self-awareness SO MUCH faster by having someone (such as Tolle) explain it to you. Agreed, it's natural to come with maturity and age, however I believe I now have the upper-hand on anyone my age. Think about it. Right now, I have something that I'm not supposed to understand until years from now.

Power to me? yeah, i guess.

23. evh

evh Active Member

Hey dude, you know they say Don Juan himself was a master of rhetoric....

No, it's not very relevant. All I'm saying is that mastering the use of rhetoric is a great skill.

24. evh

evh Active Member

Also, Tolle brings up a few examples throughout his writing that deliver me a profound message.

For example, scientists separated two quantum molecules, imposing a barrier in between them. (i.e, they are no longer physically connected) simply put, scientists took two quantum molecules that were physically attached to each other, and purposely separated them, putting each molecule in a different location.
    For reasons still unknown to this day, when scientists would change one of the two molecules, the other one would instantly change with it, leaving the only conclusion to be that the two molecules are connected by some unknown means that we cannot yet explain. also, quantum particles are subjected to completely different rules/laws than the rules/laws of the large objects that they make up. (i.e., anything you can touch or feel, whatever)

What does that tell me? It demonstrates that just because something is not observable, measurable, or able to be seen, does not mean that it does not exist. Also, according to this experiment and by means of deductive logic:
    -quantum particles are unexplainably connected to each other, despite physical boundaries and any current laws/explanations of space and time. when one is changed, the second mirrors the first.
    -everything in this physical world, when divided and broken down, is made up of quantum particles.

therefore, using deductive logic:
    --->i find it reasonable and logical to state that we are all connected, somehow, by means currently unexplainable and probably unimaginable (as we have no way of comprehending something that we don't understand or even know about)

Clearly, as proven by the scientists who conducted the quantum particle experiment, there are forces/things/entities that are present and real, and yet we have no awareness/knowledge/ability to acknowledge them.

keeping all that in mind, try and realize that you've been wasting your time thinking about the world/your life in the way you currently see it. take all of the above information i have made aware to you, and try and have a few realizations. realize that we are all unexplainably connected and understand that there are much more complex things to this world other than what you currently know. Realize that being truly conscious and aware of the world encompasses things that are both physical and nonphysical.

So, how does this all relate to the vag?
    Well, think about it for a moment. It's critical thinking, for sure.
    Basically, your thoughts are invalid. Of course, not all of your thoughts. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm specifically referring here to the types of thoughts that make you worry. For example, "is my g/f cheating on me?" "what's my g/f doing?", "is my mother going to pass away from cancer?", and so forth. These are completely unnecessary. It's our mind controlling us, not allowing us to realize that at this very moment in time, everything is fine. Dwelling on the past and planning towards the unpredictable future are two things I would now classify as a waste of time, due to my understanding that there are so many factors involved in life that we do not understand yet. Again, this ties back into my evolution of the mind theory. We're not ready to comprehend everything yet, and as a result, our own minds are clogging up our very thoughts with meaningless "noise" (worry and anxious thoughts). It's nothing but distraction.

Identify the distraction and then get rid of it. I now believe that you will be at higher level of consciousness with yourself, allowing you to be "enlightened" (or whatever you would like to call it. I personally prefer "at peace with yourself"). Now that I am aware, I can clearly see that this is the road to happiness.

Excerpt:

25. JamesL

JamesL wat