Engine washing the correct way

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Feb 18, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well I have always been scared to wash a engine of a vehicle with large amounts of water, due to possible damage. This weekend I attended a detailing seminar thrown by the Pros of Detail King.

They took the worry out of engine detailing and made these 2 engines look great it was amazing.

1. Make sure there is soapy water on the fenders of the car.
    2. Put zip lock bag around alternator/fuse box
    3. Spray the whole engine bay with wd40 all over the spark plug wires especially.
    4. Put your favortie degreaser all over engine.
    5. Spray down whole engine after product has set and stand back to a nice bright engine.
    6. Done spray down underneath hood if it has the cloth material mat or it will fall down.
    7. Rinse fender down Heavily.
    8. Dress engine.

The two engines turned out to be amazing. The one product they used for the engine I really liked it alot.

this 15 minute job can bring in a good amount of cash for that short time. Start doing engines.

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I already do engines. Why is the way that the "Detail King" showed you better than the way I do it now? Water does not hurt engines, bottom line.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

Well water actually can hurt an engine, they had people experience that. Im not saying it is better than anyone's way,but it is a safer way for some who do have the worry. The circuits and electrical is made for only light water contact and not heavy. if someone who used a pressure washer for example cleans an engine, that much water can cause the engine not to start. Wd40 puts a invisible sheild around those areas for a short time and protects them from the heavy water contact.

Maybe I should have worded the topic better, but I personally like the way they showed me. The engines came out great, and kicked right over with no problem after a good amount of water hit them.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No problem.All I'm saying is that even with the way I do it, the way that's outlined in the sticky at the top of the forum, there is very little pressure behind the water that's being sprayed. Also, all the pertinent electrical equipment is covered.

5. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

hmm. I think thats weird spaying wd40 so it provides a 'shield' against water. I think that would actually be counter productive on cleaning the engine. Why would you put wd-40 on an engine just to degrease it right afterward? That wd-40 is just going to come right off after the next step.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  6. quamen

quamen New Member

They just said it provides a light durable protection. They hit that engine hard with the gun for several mintues, and it kicked right over.

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I just use a regular garden hose with moderate pressure. The shit always comes right off, I just did it Wednesday.