engine swap question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tigerafro, Apr 13, 2007.

1. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

i have an auto 95 civic right now and i was wondering, when u get a engine swap and they include the transmission, does that mean my transmission will be changed as well? i really hope so.

also...

would i need to also buy a mount?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

yes, meaning if you get a b16a2 block and it comes with a 5spd tranny, you now have a manual car.

if you're doing this swap, i'd ask for assistance from a professional, especially since you're asking questions that shouldn't even be asked.

the mounts should come with the engine and tranny

3. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

lol. i dont plan on doing it myself. that would suck for me b/c i have no idea what im doing. what is lsd?

and would it matter if i got a jdm?

4. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

limited slip differential.

dude i dont mean to be rude, research first, you don't seem to know much. always research before you blow your cash.

5. You can get JDM so you can later brag to your friends about how much more you spent on the, pretty much, same engine. Jdm tyte yo.

6. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The advantage of getting a JDM motor is that JDM motors have fewer miles on them than used USDM ones (and by fewer I mean like half or even less than half).

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

jdm is more for looks than performance. granted, the jdm engines do have less constraints and react to mods much better but it really isn't much.

just look into getting a b16a2 or a b18c5 engine to drop in there (i think the b18 will fit). you don't "need" an lsd tranny and i'd spend that money elsewhere but hey, it's your cash.

8. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

yeah. i was planing on to get a b18c5. and i wasnt sure what lsd stood for. but i think im just gonnna get jdm since it has less miles than the usdm. i just want to get something better than my stock.

also....

if i get this engine, will i be able to put on civic exaust or will i have to buy and integra exaust?

9. k624ash

k624ash New Member

whoa, why would a jdm motor have less mileage than a usdm motor? it depends on the motor.
    The jdm means japanese domestic market. So a jdm motor is one that comes from a car in japan, sometimes the japense version might have more power, but they also have different emissions restrictions so a jdm motor might not pass emisions.
    Talk to whatever shop you are going to about what you want, take notes on what they say and research online.

the exhaust has to fit the chassis so you would want a civic exhaust, however the manifold or header has to fit the motor, so you would want the one meant for the motor.

try searching on sites like clubcivic.com or honda-tech.com they have a lot of informations on swaps

10. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

i am putting in a JDM B18C-r in my ej8 in a couple weeks....can't wait

11. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Japanese people drive less than Americans. It's an island country.

Also, the regs/taxes over there are such that it's expensive to keep cars on the road past a certain age.

12. dokebi

dokebi Commentator

japanese use only 94-98 (regular) or 100 (super) octane

13. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

That's RON.

We use RON+MON/2

Different measurements.
    Thier 98 octane is basically our 94 octane.