Engine Oiling Woes Plague VW Products

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Aug 30, 2004.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Automaker to pay for engine repairs, extend warranties

[​IMG]

RALPH KISIEL | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 8/30/04

DETROIT - In the latest example of Volkswagen's quality woes, the automaker is warning 426,000 VW Passat and Audi A4 owners of an engine oil sludge problem.

Affected are 1.8-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engines on 1998 to 2004 Passats and 1997 to 2004 A4s. VW won't say how many engines have been replaced or repaired, or what it is spending to fix the problem.

Owners began receiving letters from VWoA this month. Remedies range from extending warranties to covering repair costs. That includes replacing engines.

Sludge buildup causes engine performance to deteriorate. In extreme cases, sludge can cause engines to seize.

The timing couldn't be worse. VW Division has old products, and sales are down 11.5 percent for the first seven months compared with the year-ago period. And it has only been a year since VW voluntarily recalled more than 500,000 vehicles because of faulty engine ignition coils.

VW is not alone in grappling with engine oil sludge complaints. Last week the Center for Auto Safety in Washington demanded that the Chrysler group fix sludge problems and extend warranties on 2.7-liter V-6 engines in its 1998 to 2002 vehicles.

Confirming that VW has received "numerous reports of problems," VWoA spokesman Tony Fouladpour said that VW is extending factory warranties from five years to eight years. Warranties are transferable.

Changes for '05

[​IMG]

VW is requiring its dealers to use synthetic oil and a larger oil filter in the 2005 Passat and A4. Some 2005 A4s are in dealerships. The 2005 Passat will arrive in October.

A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration source said the agency has had 12 to 15 sludge complaints for 2000 to 2004 Passats and A4s. One complaint was about an engine seizure.

VWoA will pay the cost of replacing an engine. For example, an independent repair shop in Tennessee that just replaced a sludge-damaged engine in a 1999 Passat charged the customer $2,500. Of that, $1,400 was for labor. The customer would be eligible for a reimbursement if he can show that he was having the oil changed as recommended.

VW dealers are seeing the problem mostly with owners who don't follow the recommended oil change intervals, said Gene Langan, of Gene Langan Volkswagen Inc. in Glastonbury, Conn.

"I've seen a few cases," he said. "It seems to happen mostly when we can't verify oil change history, when people don't do them for 20,000 miles. I think that this is a problem that is pretty broad in the industry right now."

VW owners will pay more for an oil change with synthetic oil, Langan said. An oil change with regular oil costs about $30, he said. It's about $65 with synthetic oil.

In its letter to Passat and A4 owners, VW says that it will cover necessary engine repairs if oil sludge causes a problem and the vehicle owner could provide proof of oil changes. Oil changes would have to be according to VW-recommended maintenance schedules. VW recommends that oil be changed at 5,000 miles or six months.

How it occurs

[​IMG]

The letter states that engine oil sludge occurs when old, dirty engine oil thickens and cannot continue to provide correct lubrication. It says the condition occurs primarily when the engine is operated at oil change intervals beyond those prescribed in the owner's manual.

Fouladpour said VW decided to contact owners after studying the oil sludge problem that Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc. faced two years ago.

Toyota in April 2002 notified 3.3 million owners of 1997 to 2002 Toyota and Lexus vehicles with certain V-6 and four-cylinder engines that it would pay for sludge-related repairs for eight years from date of purchase. At the time, Toyota said that it had received about 3,400 sludge-related complaints.

"We looked at that and learned from their experience," Fouladpour said.

VW builds most of its 1.8 T engines at its Gyor, Hungary, engine plant.

[​IMG]

2. CRXican

CRXican God Loves Ugly

3. mymilkexpired

mymilkexpired New Member

nice, got a friend that is in need of help with his passat :bigthumb:

4. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Cool :)

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Becuase those are the two cars most likely to be driven by WOMEN, and not properly serviced as a result.

6. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

the engine is mounted differently in the A4 and the Passat than it is in the jetta, golf & beetle. so, maybe that makes a difference, what with the oil pan, etc being moved around

7. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

Isn't the 1.8 "designed" to drink oil too??

8. DI2009

DI2009 New Member

vwowned.

9. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

I remeber reading a question called into that "Car Talk" radio show in the newpaper asking about that. They said that the engine was designed to consume a fair amount of oil, but that it seemed more like it was just a cruddy design and VW covered their butts by saying it was supposed to do that.

10. Scooby

Scooby Growing up too fast...

11. Zach

Zach OT Supporter

:Owned:

12. Zee

Zee New Member

:rofl:

13. Giraffe

Giraffe Are you gangsters? No, we are russians!

jetta?

14. mucky

mucky .

I will never buy a VW product below an Audi A6.

15. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

How is that a defect? You don't change your fucking oil, and sludge builds up, and VW is at fault? Did I read something wrong? :confused:

16. Giraffe

Giraffe Are you gangsters? No, we are russians!

i was thinking that too, but you have to account for common stupidity, i bet they dont have that problem in Europe

17. dmora

dmora Guest

VW is becomming the new ford. :rofl:

18. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

It says two different things almost:
    One one hand, it says when people don't change their oil, but then the guy being interviewed mentions when they can't verify the oil change history. I don't know about you. but I change my oil religously at 3000, but I don't have any paperwork proving that (I do it myself).

19. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

That's what worries me about buying a new car. Just because you don't take it to Jiffy Lube once every 3000 miles you're neglecting to maintain your car in their eyes? :dunno:

20. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

Or getting assraped at the dealer having it done. Honestly, I feel safer knowing that I did it rather than "Clevon" at the Stop-N-Lube. If something is screwed up, I did it and am held responsible, not some high school dropout making $7 an hour with a corporation and lawyers backing him up :ugh:

21. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I think everybody needs to read this part again.

22. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Keep receipts. Why else would you buy motor oil and a filter specific to your car?

23. mucky

mucky .

'Recommended' maintenance varies for each car and manufacturer. VW Passat recommends oil change by every 5,000miles. The new Honda Accords recommends an oil change by every 10,000 mile. I don't follow exactly 3,000 mile oil change, but I change the oil in my car every 5,000 miles. My car only recommends 7,500 mile oil change.

24. mucky

mucky .

I will NEVER go to those quicky lube places anymore after a bad experience last year with one of them. Fuckers forgot to tighten my radiator cap when they checked it. I was on my way leaving town for the weekend just after and my car overheated. Open up my hood and fucking antifreeze everywhere on my engine. Those fuckers refunded my money and changed the antifreeze as I watched them. :mad:

25. txgti

txgti OT Supporter

Because that's a different 1.8t than the one in the golf/jetta/beetle. It's transverse. ;)