Engine oil talk.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jujharoo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Im only supposed to use full Synthetic oil in my car. I went to buy some oil today cuz car needs an oil change, but popular full synthetic oils are costing $9 - up and my car takes 6-7 qts of it. Thats over $60 in oil alone.

So I decided to purchase the stores own brand synthetic oil which was at $3.29 ea.

My question is does it really matter what brand you buy? I mean all these oils are processed by same refineries and packed by different facilities.

Can someone put some light on this

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The difference is in the additives they put in the oil to make it lubricate properly. No additive-free oil can lubricate well enough to keep a car engine running for years.

I like Mobil 1. I have a friend who drives an Evo and he swears by Royal Purple. As far as I can tell, they're both just about as good as you can get.

The cost of the good oil isn't what matters. The cost of an engine rebuild is what matters. If you change your oil every 3000 miles, and you use that $9 oil you don't want to pay for, then you would have to drive the car 250,000 miles before the cost of the oil will equal the cost of an engine rebuild.

My dad's old van has 270,000 miles on it, Mobil 1 all the way, and it was recently the cleanest-burning car that our local emissions shop had tested the entire day. The chart doesn't lie.

3. RedBean

RedBean New Member

Wal-Mart sells 5 quart jugs of Mobil-1 for about $22.

4. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I see.
    What about adding Lucas to regular oil?

5. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I try not to shop at Wal Mart :hs:

6. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

I know people who use the cheapest oil possible in their race car. If you take the time to learn about what makes a difference in oil makeup, you would be surprised.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I used to use non-synthetic Lucas with Mobil 1 in my old Mazda. It worked well. I tried the synthetic Lucas once, also with Mobil 1, and my car kicked out so much smoke it was humiliating. I changed the oil and put the non-synthetic Lucas back in, and it worked like a charm again.