Engine noise on car stereo

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by tonez323, Feb 28, 2006.

1. tonez323

tonez323 New Member

Can anyone tell me how to stop the engine noise playing through my car cd player's speakers?

2. wparsons

wparsons New Member

That usually results from a speaker wire(or RCA cable) that is wrapped around a power wire. It happens alot if you run the big amp power cable and RCA down the same side of the car.

If you're not using anything like that, pull the deck out and get the power wires as far away from the speaker wires as possible.

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

not always true, i had the power & rca & speaker wires run together (i have 2 amps, 1 power all 4 speakers and 1 power sub). my speakers hummed to shit and ithought it was because i run all of the wires together. found out it's my shitty sub & amp. once i disconnect the subwoofer from the amp with the amp still being powered, the all of the noises went away.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  4. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Just because in your case it wasn't true it doesn't make his point false. :hsugh:

5. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

In most cases, it's a bad ground. Make sure everything aftermarket that you may have put in is grounded properly.

6. pirate

pirate Track | DSLR | MTB

not just a bad ground but an unequal quality ground between the head unit and the amp. I had to run my HU ground to the same ground as my amp to get rid of it. An easy fix may just be turning down the gain on the amp itself.

7. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

i also say find the ground problem. it can come from many places too; if you have trouble finding it, do the process of elimination by disconnecting everything except the head unit and speakers (running off the head unit) and working your way back up

8. toOn

toOn New Member

is this where as you accelerate the noise buzzing appears to get faster/higher pitched too?

i had a friend whos speakers did that - always wondered why.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Get new spark plug wires, and install them yourself. Make sure they are properly plugged into their sockets.

10. slod16

slod16 New Member

ditto

11. Essence

Essence New Member

have you seen the ground wire kits that supposedly give you a bit more pep? I have heard from several people that this totally eliminated the sound through the speakers. (my other car was prone to this kind of noise through the speakers at higher RPM but was normally only noticeable using FM radio)