Engine Newb Question

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Gimik, May 12, 2005.

1. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm going to have about $10k to spend on my '72 blazer. Right now it's a stock GM crate 350 with a Carter AFB carb and stock exhaust. I'd like to save a few grand for suspension stuff too though, so figure about $7k for the drivetrain.

What kind of stuff should I be looking to spend money on?

I was thinking a supercharger (what kind? Wieand Pro Street?)
    Headers, Pipes, Glasspacks (cheap headman headers ok?)
    New cam (which cam?)
    New Heads?
    Holley Truck Avenger carb? 670?

I really don't know a whole lot about engines, but I'm hoping to learn.

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Holy crap. that's an amazing freakin reply. I'm not used to that on OT.

Why skip the supercharger? I've always wanted a supercharger :) I will 4x4, but it'll be on the street a lot.

And actually, I only get about 11MPG right now. I'm guessing the .410 rear, 33" tires, and 3 speed tranny are the cause.

3. Bryce

Bryce New Member

If I were you and you have 7 k to spend and you plan on using this truck as a 4x4 I would get a larger displacement motor such as a 383 or 400 if your going small block or a 454 if you can go big block what you need is torque frunt shove a big caddy 500 would also work very well

A supercharger is not the best idea as you will have to run low boost and still have to run the most expensive gas and with load like towing you have a good chance of knocking and pounding your motor apart

build for torque if it were me I would rebuild a 454 with a few goodies it will cost less then a small block with many aftermarket parts and have more torque then any small block

But if you plan on keeping the engine you have I would suggest a pair of dart ss heads and a small cam with 1.6 rockers you will have a motor still more balanced towards torque yet still have a good amount of top end power and get a good intake as well that is the cheap and easy way its no big block but you have to work with what you have sometimes

What are your exact goals? Its much easier to help when you know what someone really wants

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member