Engine detailing

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ridley, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Ridley

Ridley New Member

Can someone give me some good tips on cleaning up an engine bay? I've got the basics down, but exactly how much of the electricals can be hosed off directly? I just want to make sure I'm not going to ruin anything after hosing everything off.

Thanks for the help.

2. Brieldo

Brieldo Bigger than you are.

I generally try to avoid direct water contact with the power distribution blocks, alternator, distributer, and coil. Generally speaking, using a degreaser and steam is the best way, I've found, to clean the engine compartment. Doing this, and following up with protectant for all the rubber/plastic parts, and then, if you're so inclined, polishing the metal parts, and you'll have one clean engine.

3. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

well said, buy a big can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush and get busy cleaning all important bits before you use the degreaser and the hose.

4. perry

perry burp

Be careful with the carb cleaner around painted surfaces.

I cover up my air filter since it is one of those concial deals. My coil is covered up by some sort of plastic piece from my intake system, so I don't do any more covering with it. I don't directly spray my hose onto the engine, I kinda spray it towards the underside of the hood but adjust the spray so the water falls over the engine, if that makes sense.

The CD-2 kit is a pretty effective and simple product. One can to clean, one can to dress. Won't give show winning results, but it does a pretty good job. You can use a cleaner wax to make the painted parts look nice.. I'm thinking I'm going to try the Mother's product that comes in their clay bar kit. Just gotta get around to doing it :)

5. Ridley

Ridley New Member

Thanks for all the tips. I'll give it a try on the wife's car this weekend.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Also, make sure you start the engine immediately after washing and if you have an air hose or blower handy, blast the water out of any of the crevices. Let the engine run until the engine and bay are completely dry.