Engine builders - 9 flat cam lobes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by z284pwr, Apr 18, 2009.

1. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Curious as to what some of the engine builders crew think may have caused this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine is a pretty strong built GM 3.1 Engine. http://www.edwardsracing.net/off_topic/engine.jpg
    Custom Grind Crower Camshaft.
    Engine I would say has about ~25,000 miles on it. Used a proper break-in technique with non-synthetic oil then Mobil 1 after that. Has had 2 running issues with oil changed every 3,000 miles. The last oil change was around 2,500 miles and the magnetic drain plug/oil was fine. Oil now looks like a special "Sparkle Edition" oil and the drain plug was COVERED with metal shavings along with oil coming out of the oil filter.
    We haven't had a chance to meet with the engine builder yet, but some suggestions have pointed towards the oil itself (rumors that Mobil 1 doesn't have the same additives it used to have and has shown signs of advanced wear on flat-tappet cams) or valve springs possibly too strong.

2. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Good to see the cam is stronger than the lifters.

This looks like an opposite case of the PD diesel VW engine in 2004-2007. The cams were scrubbing down around the 130,000 mile mark.

I'm not an engine builder but the only time I've seen the wrong type (and synthetic was used and the same grade) of oil cause such damage was with the above diesel VW engine.

Surprised to see it in the gas, especially the strong 3.1L.

Those were stock lifters used?

3. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i agree look for oils that have the zinc content or switch to a roller cam
    Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil
    Any CI rated Diesel oil is high zinc
    your machine shop is expensive compared to this area

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

This scares the hell out of me, that's why I run Comp cams additive in my Dart, don't want to have to deal with that noise.

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

comp cams is out of buisness i hope you stock up :ugh:

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

7. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

actually thats not how it went. That coating or whatever wears off, which loses cam material turning the cam basically into a lathe. Just about every cam lobe have sharp edges on it now which just cut the lifter surfaces into the roundness of the cam lobe.
    Oh and now they werent stock lifters, lifters that cam with the cam probably
    Thats what im considering is a roller cam,it requires a little modification to get the lifters to mount correctly and not spin in the valley.
    The machine shop is our good friend, my dad has been racing with him since the 70s so we dont ask about prices, he has done so much shit for us we dont worry about that with him.
    Crane Cams is actually the one that went out of business. Rumor is a place called Scorpion Performance bought them and they will be back up soon

8. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Yeah no, that's Crane Cams.

9. MeanGreen

MeanGreen New Member

If that was the original buyer, then it is dead for good and they are liquidating the assets. I saw a story on that, but haven't seen any story on a second buyer.

10. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

That is lubrication related. You need ZDDP. Brad Penn oil is your friend on that engine.

11. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

:ugh2: no they arent

12. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

oh yeah, and NEVER use synthetic oil in flat tappet cams, it doesnt have the proper metals in, most people say to run "high mileage" oil since it still has some, they even took most out of dino oil also

the last lobe on my cam (i think #7 exhaust??) is starting to go flat just a tiny bit

13. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

like every one else already said, thats an oil problem

14. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

In agreeing with everyone else, you need a zddp additive. I dont use synthetic in my 350 flat tappet either.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm lost; I see that some of the lifters are hollowed-out and some aren't, but I'm not really sure which way it's supposed to be. I assume they're supposed to be flat?

Anyway, I put Lubro-Moly synthetic oil from Voll-Synthese in my dad's old van and valve noise that was 150,000 miles old went away in about 100 miles. The active ingredient is tiny flakes of molybdenum di-sulfide, which protects grooves in metal parts from more excessive wear. The description I read of how the stuff works is, it's similar to scattering a deck of cards on a slide and then sliding down it -- you're going to go a whole lot faster.

16. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

The lifters are suppose to be flat. The "hollowed" out effect is from the cam lobe. It loses it's surface and basically turned into a rotating lathe. It basically starts cutting the lifter surfing into the shape of the cam lobe, which is no longer oval shaped, it's basically a round circle so as the lifter spins in the lifter bore it turns it that way. Sad none roller cam engines :wtc:

We are just going to go to what works for oil. We had another same engine type, a 2.8 though that lasted 216,000 miles and when we took it apart, it basically looks new.

17. deusexaethera

Are you saying the cams actually got rounded-off somehow? Or just that the surfaces of the cams got etched and became abrasive?

Anyway, you might want to give the Lubro-Moly oil a shot anyway, if you have the opportunity. MoS2 has been used in heavy industry for decades both as a hard-coating and suspended in oil to prevent wear on parts that see more abuse than that engine ever will. It's good stuff. Among other things, it's also used in CV grease and wheel bearing grease, both of which get the shitfuck beaten out of them and don't get serviced until they wear out.

18. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

I love deusexaethera posts :rofl:

19. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. deusexaethera

I get ridiculed when tell people things. I get ridiculed when I ask people questions. I can't win with you people.

21. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

he was the guy that cant seem to get around the mist cloud from 18 wheelers tires when its raining out :rofl:

22. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Well you make stuff up, you don't really get it all, and spend too much time trying to sound smart instead of just being yourself. I actually got sad in another post where you said you thought about moving to Australia because when you were little kids made fun of you. You need to just be yourself and not try and impress everyone. I think you can win but you just need a new approach when confronting a conversation. Think that is fair?

23. deusexaethera

Your sympathy is appreciated, but what I went through as a kid had very much to do with the place I grew up and little, though not nothing, to do with who I am as a person. In Lynchburg VA, it still actually matters to people what family you're from, and what their social standing is. I was not from there, and I didn't have any relatives from there, so I was literally a social outcast. I've talked to other people who moved there as first-generation residents, and they pretty much all have the same experience. I didn't react to it well, which was my own fault, but the abuse I experienced was not caused by my behavior. If it had been, it stands to reason I would've experienced the same treatment in any one of the six other places I've lived in my life, but I never have.

I don't spend any time at all trying to sound smart. To whatever extent I speculate about things as opposed to knowing about things, it is second-nature to me and takes no conscious effort at all. To be fair, though, I certainly did try to impress people when I was younger, due to the conditions I already described, and I suppose some of that attitude has stuck with me, but it's not intentional anymore and I do what I can to not behave that way. It never did me any good anyway.

24. Justintiime

Justintiime OT Supporter

I lived in Lynchburg for the past 4 years, and moved here from NY so I'm a social outcast Yankee and I made friends just fine. I think your know it all attitude is probably what alienated you from everyone lol

25. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter