Engagement ring...what do girls like?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by AutoEuphoria, May 28, 2008.

1. AutoEuphoria

AutoEuphoria New Member

Yellow or white gold? One big stone, a medium with a couple small, or a lot of little stones? Ornate or simple?

I'm looking for ideas, but it's not the kind of thing I'd like to talk with my gf about...would like it to be a surprise, but one that she will love.

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Dude that's a huge investment and definitely something you should 'lightly' discuss with your SO. Bring it up in casual conversation and get an idea of what she would like then go out and find something.

I would definitely not buy an engagement ring without knowing the basics of what my SO would like.

Edit - If you've bought your gf jewelry before you should already know what kind of metal she would prefer.

3. tqpolo

tqpolo ***** Platinum Member OT Supporter

Don't get yellow gold. Get white gold or platinum band. I suggest go with the classic look since this should last a life time. Get a single big stone princess cut with two smalls on either sides.

4. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

every girl is different. there are a million beautiful rings out there, but probably only a few that she would find to be her style

have you guys discussed marriage at all? if so, hopefully she will drop you some little hints. leave a magazine open on the table to a ring she likes, mention how she likes a ring in a commercial, something like that. you can also go to a jewelry store with her and look casually and see which types of rings she gravitates more towards.

please please PLEASE get her ring size before you buy the ring though. it would be so sad to get a beautiful new ring and have it not fit and have to hand it back to the jeweler to get it sized correctly. this might take some of the surprise out of it, but its worth it. get her ring size way early on so that she forgets about it.

as for the metal color, you can probably figure that out based on other jewelry she owns, but if she likes the silver colors, does she want white gold or platinum?

5. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

well even though preferences vary on girl to girl basis there are some things that are in common so i will reply to you.

I don't like the single stone setting like the traditional princess cut, I prefer white gold over yellow since most of my jewlery is white and I like it to match so i can wear my other things with it. As far as how big the diamonds are is based on what you can afford as well as the design of the ring. My advise is don't go with something huge because its always good to have a space to grow (bigger ring for aniversary or st valantines day is a good gift and it lives you options), don't go for the ulta small stones either. Medium stone with something small around it can get that wow from her and her friends without spending too much. I also like that the multi stone rings don't get cought as much in clothes as solitare ones - my first engagement ring wwas solitare princess cut and i menaged by accident to cut my ex hubby few times ><

here is a link to a nice one in kay
    they also have a guide on their site regarding shoping for engagement gifts and whats the most popular choice and why.

My husband got my ring from there, their service is great and they have credit with different terms one of which is 12 mo intrest free.

6. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Pretty ring, but that being said... I'd never wear it. Jewelry & Underwear are two things you will find that individual women will have very strong preferences in. Notice what she wears and what she already has. Talk to her Mom, Sister or Best Friend.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  7. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

exactly what i was thinking. its not my personal style. and i actually prefer the solitaire, although i didnt know that until i went to try on rings and didnt like the way the 3 stone rings looked on me

not to freak you out or anything, but its a huge decision. she will have this ring for the rest of her life, so you want to make sure she absolutely loves it

8. Cumstang02

Cumstang02 New Member

I'm selfish and would buy her a platinum band with a solitary diamond. I hate huge rings that are overly done. A pink diamond would be awesome. :mamoru:

9. fray

fray New Member

You're going to have to talk to her, or those who know her, or buy something simple w/ a stone you'll keep and let her pick out a "real one" later. Every person is going to have their own preference as to what they like. We can't tell you.

Check out www.pricescope.com for information on diamonds or pm dasvwbabe on here... she's the go-to-gal for jewelry stuff.

10. Bubba Atlantis

Bubba Atlantis New Member

I agree with some of the other comments that you need to get her opinion or people close to her. You can bring it up with her in different ways. It is hard to tell what would be best for you as I do not know your relationship.

However, I can give my story. I told my wife (obviously not wife at the time) that I wanted to bring her out ring shopping, so I could get her size and what she likes figured out, so that in 3-5 years, when I do propose, I will already know what type of ring to get you. I told her that I had to do it now because if I brought it up in 3 years suddenly, it would obviously give it away and that would suck. So, she went along with it (although she did claim I was mean and cruel for bringing her out ring shopping). I had worked things out with the jeweler that whatever ring she picked out would be put behind the counter and I would come and pick it up later. The day came and we went to the various shops. I had her try on a bunch and find what she liked and pretended like I was taking inventory for 'later'. She narrowed it down to two and I said to her, 'okay, if you had to choose ONE, which one would you select'. She pointed it out and that was the ring I got her :)

11. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

one of the best things to do is talk to her best friend. she's likely planted ideas in her friend's head for just this occasion. otherwise, mention to her that you saw a ring on a friend and you really like/did not like the style, and ask her what kind of thing she likes (or she will likely tell you her opinion without asking).

I'd say go for platinum over white gold if you're looking for something in that hue, because white gold is a bit of maintainance problem. I've had to have my white gold ring redone already and only had it like 2 years.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

This is something you should go shopping with your gf for and find out what she likes.

Guys don't just *surprise* their gfs with engagement rings.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

btw unless you're balling out of control, discuss with your gf the possibility of getting a synthetic stone and using the money you would have spent on a real diamond as an investment or contributing to a down payment on a house. Financially intelligent people prefer financial security to diamond rings.

If your gf strongly opposes, beware that she may be a gold digger or materialistic.

Still get a real ring/mount from the jeweler, just don't spend $10k for a diamond when for under $100 you could get a synthetic that no one (other than jewelers with loupes) can tell the difference between, anyway.

14. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

Oh and there are a few weirdos like me who do not care for diamonds but don't talk about it much 'cause people make fun :noes:

15. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

I don't really either :o

If I had it my way :mamoru: - I would ideally design two bands together, similar but different [obviously mine more femine and his more masculine]. If there was going to a diamond, it would be tiny. If there would be stones at all I'd much prefer others :o:hs:

16. Bubba Atlantis

Bubba Atlantis New Member

I have stopped buying jewelery for Lovely because she will not wear it :(

Here excuse "it's too fancy and pretty to just wear out casually"

I think she is like you two.

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

1. PM DasVWBabe right now. I'm not even kidding. She knows everything there is to know about diamonds and engagement rings and can give you more info on what to look for than you could even imagine.

2. I don't know how long you've been with your girl, but unless you are an idiot you have to have some kind of idea of her tastes. My bf knows I'm not big on jewelry and he also knows I am beyond simple when it comes to my taste in jewelry. In other words, he would know a solid band and single solitaire is all I care about. Same thing goes for your girlfriend. Is she flashy? Does she have other jewelry that is gold? Silver?

3. Falconer is right, it's almost ignorant to just blindly buy a ring. I know the idea of surprising her is great and all, but after a long time of dating we just know it's probably gonna happen eventually; the important thing is how and when you surprise her. She wants a ring she's gonna love too. An easy thing to do is if walking around the mall they have those jewelry stores they almost always have some engagement rings right on display. Slow down by one and slyly say, "is that the kind you like?" If anything she'll get very giddy and tell you right there, "yes, that's beautiful!" or "no, I really like platinum with stones on the side :mb:"

4. yankeeschick is also very right. If she has any girlfriend or you are on decent terms with her mother/sister, etc. then ask one of them. I think it's cute enough to even tell her family what's going on and unless they hate you they'll probably be excited and help you out.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah, don't just go pick something out. Besides, a lot of stuff in jewelry stores is gaudy as hell and no one should wear it. However, jewelry store clerks are brainwashed into thinking it looks good, so you don't want them to sell it to you.

As evidence, go look at how many rings the average female jewelry store clerk is wearing. Now note how many of them are gaudy. Probably most of them, right? Exactly.

19. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

erm... My diamond ring + the double enchancer (top bottom with diamonds) wedding band cost us total of $700 not exactly i down payment for a house or a car for that matter. Shit its not even security deposit for an appartment. My point is you can get a diamond ring for as little as $200 you don't have to be "balling out of control"

I dunno diamonds or not i would be kind of hesitant if my husband was ok spending $500 on a game console, or dvd player or even a cell phone but couldn't afford a real diamond ring which costs 200....

keep in mind that it has more value bot santimental and as comitment when the ring is valuable. Everyone can go and buy $50 ring and purpose if things dont work out oh well was 50 bucks only big deal . next! Guys would be buying rings left and right with or without a reason to get what they want.

For me the gesture that my man have comitted to plan and save for a ring, have went and gotten something that is not an everyday expense and have researched or have asked me what to get ( in our case he took me to pick the ring up), mean alot and shows that he have spent some time considering and planing to purpose.

I understand you are looking from my financial point of view but when it comes to one of the most romanting moments of a girls life, a moment she has planned and invisioned and dreamed for all her life, you want to be her charming prince not H&R accountant.

To be frank even tho money has never been my goal when it comes to relationships, and even though now i make more than my man if he purposed to me with syntetic nock off of a ring i would laugh and say no.

let the flames comense

20. yankeeschick14

I actually completely agree with you on this. A part of me says I dont care if he proposes with a piece of tin foil or a twist tie, and the other part of me says I want him to take time and carefully consider a serious purchase like this. In my mind, you should only ever buy one, so its a big deal. Its not that I'm saying it has to be really expensive or anything (I think they say 2 months salary is average, so that would be a sliding scale based on what he makes), or a huge ass diamond, but just something tasteful that goes along with what I like. As Eskarinna said, you dont have to spend a lot of money to get a real diamond. Also, Mr. Financial Planner, diamonds/other precious gems hold their value very well, so its not a bad investment anyway. Even if things dont work out (which I never feel like you should go into an engagement thinking its not going to, but thats just my old-fashioned background coming from no one in my family ever divorcing) you could reclaim a lot of the money on the ring to no one's loss.

21. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

I guess I'm going down in flames with ya, cuz I totally agree.. :hs: It could be materialistic and shallow, but put some effort and money into my engagement ring, because you're right, it's a moment remembered forever. My personality is that I do, in the fact, enjoy the finer things in life. I'd be devastated if my engagement ring was synthetic, fake, whatever. Superficial or not, I'd be even embarrassed to show my family/friends. It may sound silly, and you can scratch your heads wondering if I'd really turn down a proposal from a man I love because of this, but, I fully have strong faith in my judge of character that it would never get to that point. I'm pretty selective in picking out mates with personalities that are similar to my own. If my SO if constantly (and financially responsibly) buying nice gadgets, things, etc. for himself, as well as gifts for his family, that tells you something. I'm going to be more worried about the guy who can't even pay his bills because he blows his money ridiculous things. Sadly speaking, that trait in itself would raise flags from the beginning because being financially unstable is a pretty big turn off for me.. :hs:

HOWEVER, my taste is not the same a Jane's or Jill's, so that's okay. Variety makes the world go 'round, I guess..

22. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

and just as an extra (and please forgive me if i am speaking for you 3 and you dont agree....), if the guy i was going to marry didnt have any money to buy an expensive ring, i would be perfectly happy with a piece of string. the problem arises when he throws his money around on everything else and cant save up a little for something i will wear on my finger for the rest of my life.

eventually, i would like to replace that string with something nicer, if we were able to. but i want him to have something nice to. this will be on our fingers forever, its worth spending some money on.

the real thing you should be keeping her away from is spending a fortune on a huge wedding. that lasts one day, the ring lasts forever

23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Same with my parents. They got married broke at 18/19. The ring by today's standards was :hsugh: but on their 25th anniversary he bought her the most incredible ring (now that he's loaded :mamoru:) which I got to help pick out because I know my mom's taste :)

24. yankeeschick14

ah yes, my parents too. my mom has the tiniest little diamond and she never ever wears it, and its set in this horrible setting and everything, and she just keeps it in the box and checks on it every once in a while. I keep telling her to pawn it or get it reset into something else, because she complains its too juvenile for her. That, and it doesnt fit her finger anymore because she now weighs more than 110 lbs. They were like 20 years old and flat broke, and i think their entire wedding cost less than a thousand dollars.

I think she's about due for the 30th wedding anniversary new diamond, but she's not much of a jewelry girl and I dont even think she wants another one.

Back on track, make sure you get a good setting for the diamond! this is a place to splurge, because you want to protect that diamond you're investing in. My boss lost her diamond in the pool today at work, and the bottom of the pool sparkles :bangs head: I spent an hour diving for that and came up empty. My cousin's wife lost the $10,000 diamond out of her ring at the gym. moral of the story: get it insured, and get a secure setting.

25. squid

squid braap

My great grandfather bought a massive diamond to propose to his wife with.

My grandfather proposed to his wife with it.

My grandfather had two boys and a daughter, so the daughter got it (my mom)

And now the woman I'll never marry gets to have it. It's massive, like 7 carats

I highly recommend taking this approach :mamoru: