engagement question and opinions?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by TheDude, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

so guys i am going to be askin my girlfriend to marry me. I just want some input on how it should be done. Like do people still get down on one knee or should i do it in a public place in front of people? How about while sitting at dinner of a nice resturant? I am not really worried about what to say but as you prolly noticed from my questions just more about the ettiquete of it.

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

How would she LIKE it to be done? I think her opinion should matter more than anyone else's ;)

3. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

well thats the thing...she has said a lil but i am having a difficult time trying to create a scenario to be able to make it nice and romantic. I was am taking her to a really nice resturant for her birthday friday night and i was thinkin about doing it there bc the atmosphere is awesome but i am not sure if i can get down on one knee inside the resturant. I was kinda thinking somewhere nice outside in town but :dunno:

4. DagoRcR

DagoRcR OT Supporter

Have any special things that you have only done with her? Memorable first date? Other date? Anything that is specifically your's and hers?

5. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Why couldn't you get down on one knee at a restraunt?

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I don't know where you are, but if you really wanted to make it memorable you could reserve a nice outside table, possibly someplace quiet. I'm sure for $$ any nice restaurant would be willing to accomodate you. Just call ahead of time and see what they can offer!
    Some women get nuts over things like this. I'm not one of them :o I never had the bended knee proposal (heck, my proposal came in a letter while my then boyfriend was thousands of miles away in the military) but I don't feel that I have missed anything. It hasn't had any effect on our marriage either.
    Of course if it is important to her, you should make it special. ;)

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

i didnt do a one-knee proposal when i asked my fiance to marry me... and she was cool with it. i did something unique and special that no one is likely to do.. ever. cuz i'm weird like that, and she loved it.

i knew she would say yes, and i was still nervous as shit... but i just tried to think up something original... that 'fit' me. do what feels right at the moment. shit, you could propose while sitting across from a candlelit dinnertable, while holding hands. guys all do it differntly... i dont think there really is any 'etiquette' like you were trying to describe.

8. TheDude

TheDude Active Member

:bigthumb: i will just plan a night and wait for the oppurtuninty i think

9. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

Are you planning on getting any tatoos? I want a tatoo of my zodiac sign. When/If I ever propose, I would like to get the question in the form of a tatoo. And then a couple of months later get it covered with the tatoo I really want.

10. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Yea, you really understand women if you think she'll be okay with you covering it up

11. Coco Monkey

Coco Monkey OT Supporter

i've always wanted to do it in front of a shitload of people. make a huge scene about it.
    :hs:

12. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:rofl: :werd: like at a baseball game or something

13. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

my g/f said that if I did that to her, it would be the only time she would say no to me.

We eloped yesterday though :)

14. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Sorry, but the proposing at a sports game just screams TOOL to me

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

You didn't, did you?

16. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

what, ask her at a ballgame? hell no. Thats was a decision between me and her, I didnt think it was appropriate for ANYONE else to be around us at the time. To each thier own, I just knew my girl and knew that if I made a big deal out of an engagement it wouldnt make her happy at all.

That is also why we eloped, neither one of us wanted a big wedding, and money is better spent elsewhere.

17. Epiphany

Epiphany 78% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Personally I would like to be surprised in front of people. I like a lot of thought put into it but it really wouldn't matter how it was done I guess.

I always told my ex husband while we were dating that "someday" I wanted to be surprised and would love to share that moment with everyone I cared about. He told me over the phone he wanted to marry me. Came home and asked me in the living room of my apartment while we were alone. :sad2:

I loved him. It really doesn't matter as long as you are together and I realized that. I'm not a big jewelry person. I don't really care so much about the ring... it's more the thought and effort. For me it just would have been a little more special if he would have put a little more into it.

18. page

page New Member

Congrats! :big grin:

As for me, I keep having the dream that I'm just gonna wake up and have a ring on.

That would kick ass!

19. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

No, you really eloped?
    So you're off the market now? :wtc:

:mamoru: Congratulations!! I wish you much happiness in your marriage.

20. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Probably because your gay? I wouldnt recommend proposing to your boyfriend at a sports game if you i was gay either.

21. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

In real honest opinion ask her friends. If shes got a best friend or a group she hangs out with they would know. If your not blindsiding her with the proposal then shes probably at least talked about it with her friends once or twice. That way you dont have to go to your gf and ask point blank "how would you like me to propose to you?" Just make sure her friends can keep a secret or get them in on it. I know this may sound real cheesy but there is a show on TLC during the day, I think its called "For better or worse" but all they do is propose and how they did it. I thought it was pretty swift.

Good luck and Congrats on gettting to that stage of the relationship

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  22. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Wow. Quesitoning my sexuality because I don't find profesional sports games to be romantic, nor do I find giant crowds of drunk idiots to be a sweet memory.
    Well played.

23. LifezLikeThIs

LifezLikeThIs New Member

aww i cant wait to get proposed to...i want something sweet...but nothing too public :)

24. Jenn

Jenn New Member

My fiance proposed to be on bended knee while we were taking a late night walk down the beach. It was perfect for us because neither of us are really big into the whole huge crowd, center of attention type thing.

25. Bella Donna

Bella Donna New Member

I didn't want it in a crowd either. I would probably faint. I almost did faint when he did it on a deserted beach in Key West at night. I knew it was coming and I still got all lightheaded. He did the knee thing too.

I agree with whoever was having the dream of waking up with the ring on your finger. I always thought that would have been the best ever! I'm a light sleeper so I probably would have woken up. But the thought would have been cool!

I think you just gotta know your girl in order to do it right. Some like it really private and some would enjoy being in public or some would enjoy it happening in front her family say at christmas or something.. asking her friends is a good idea too. Swear them to secrecy though!!

Good luck - let us know what you end up doing!