Engadget calling for slim, yet possible chance of Apple phone release in Aug.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :x:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/29/wild-speculation-iphone-to-launch-in-august/

As much as I would love to see something like this as I plan to buy a new phone at the end of Aug, I think it's too good to be true. It would have to pass through FCC approval long before it could be released. Then you have testing by the carrier as I doubt Apple would take on such a service on their own.

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:x: :x: :x: :x: PLEASE exist, I'm looking at new phones right now, really thinking about replacing my SE T610 with a well-integrated smartphone :x:

3. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Treo 650 #2 is shitting the bed... I hope this is newton+iPod+phone

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i give it a 1 - 2% chance of being true...
    i want to believe, but it seems too early, and to whip something like this out of no where is impressive it apple can pull it off.

5. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

the thing is, if something like this was being developed I would expect more industry chatter at this point. Apple can't make a phone by themselves as they have no expertise in the hardware part of things -- they'd need to bring in an established vendor for the project. The fact that we haven't heard a slip-up from anyone else makes me think we won't see an iPhone at WWDC... who would Apple partner with?

SonyEricsson is out, since Sony makes the interface for Ericsson phones and to bring in Apple would fuck up that relationship. Motorola is out because Apple shit on them by launching the Nano the same day the much shittier ROKR with iTunes was announced. Samsung, Sanyo, LG are are unlikely for various reasons (Sanyo and LG don't really even make GSM phones AFAIK; the iPhone would almost certainly include a GSM variant). Samsung phones aren't even supported by iSync right now; a lot of work would have to be done to collaborate on a phone, and I suspect the far east vendors aren't exactly salivating to partner with Apple for a potentially niche product. That leaves Nokia. Seems unlikely as well because of their corporate culture, but they're probably the most likely candidate for a partner, and that's probably a stretch as it is. I'm hoping anyway though :x: :x:

P.S. you can automatically rule out any vendor that doesn't have good a bluetooth presence in their handsets; the ones that do are Nokia, SE, and Motorola, and we've already struck two of those off for other reasons. I would love to see an Apple / Ericsson collaboration though :wackit: it'll probably just never happen. :hs:

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Not true. Apple has been working with Vodafone Japan Softbank since at least April. Also, if Apple decides to design and build their own phone, they would not stay loyal to components by only one manufacturer. In the nano for example, they actually use both Toshiba and Samsung memory. The relationship with Moto is far from bad. Moto is still releasing iTunes equipped phones and they are about to release the V3i RAZR with iTunes and a 1.3 mpx camera and SD card in August.

Not only that, but the relationship with Moto developed a lot of design sessions in which Apple worked on lot of handset designs Moto has admitted too.

I doubt a phone will be out now, but it is coming... and this is Apple... so if it does show up, that doesn't suprise me too much.

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

my main reasoning is much like Icy mentioned before. For apple to whip out a phone without one of their partners at least hinting at something is really odd. Apple can't do a phone alone, that would be impossible.

apple hasn't admitted to making a phone, but they haven't denyed it either...so something is in the works, but for it to be mentioned this soon...don't think so.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

So some of that makes sense and some doesn't. You're right about Apple not maintaining loyalty to component manufacturers, like we've seen in the Nano. But there's a difference here in components vs. the whole widget, and since Apple still doesn't have (and probably doesn't intend to acquire) the expertise needed to assemble a phone by themselves, they will still be locked into a single vendor. I'm sure Apple despises the thought of being locked into a vendor, but unless they've made some amazing acquisitions to put together a phone in-house, they still need a close partnership with a handset manufacturer, and that's not something you can just pick up and switch companies with -- tons of collaboration has to happen at many levels of the device. Switching memory chips in a Nano is way different than trying to piece together a phone.

You might be right about Motorola though. Even though one of their VPs publicly cussed out Steve and the Nano after its debut, they are one of the two most likely handset manufacturers to partner with Apple, based on previous collaboration and based on the aesthetic attention that both companies seem to value (only more recently with moto). I still figure it's possible that a moto iPhone could be on the way, I'd just be really skeptical about it given moto's previous offerings. They have one of the worst UIs in the game, and a lot of work would need to be done to put those phones at Apple-level quality for user interface.

I'm also just kinda let down that SonyEricsson is pretty much not an option, given the company's previous collaboration with Apple. They're the most compatible handsets with Mac OS X by far and they've got a killer feature set and user interface. The problem is that Sony was hired specifically to create that interface, so why would the companies let Apple horn in on that? Especially when SE's latest push is their Walkman line phones, something that an iPhone would directly compete with :hs:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Again, Apple is already dealing with Vodaphone Japan Softbank. So as far as expertise in the handheld market, they are more then covered. Vodaphone is a huge cell phone manufacturer if you weren't familiar with them already.

As for components, look at the iPod. The memory was just an example. There are so many different vendors that have parts in the thing. Hell, even the case has one vendor making the front, another making the back, and apple does it now, but there used to be another vendor that manufactured the entire click wheel. I think there are over 50 different vendors involved with the iPod.

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Actually, one of the suits at Apple admitted they were working on something.

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Vodaphone is an asian / european GSM service provider, not a handset / hardware company.

The specific quote from Peter Oppenheimer: "As regards cell phones, we don't think that the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change. And we're not sitting around doing nothing."

There's two ways to read that. The first is that Apple is developing a cell or similar device to compete in that market. The other way, and I think the more realistic way to interpret that sentence, is that Apple is aware of the potential shift toward cell phones as an all-in-one device, and they are planning the iPod roadmap such that their music players will offer better value and performance per dollar than a cell phone with music capabilities. It was cleverly worded to be vague, so who knows what's up Apple's sleeve. :dunno:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Apple and Vodafone product #1 announced today:

[​IMG]

13. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Looks like a robot maxi-pad... wonder if it vibrates

14. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

we could only be so lucky

15. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

It'll probably be incompatible with 96% of the other cell phones in the country.. :mamoru:

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why isn't it on apple.com if it was announced? Why doesn't 'apple vodaphone' google have any hits?

17. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is not a fucking Apple phone. This is a USB modem that will plug into an apple. wtf?

19. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

No shit genius. What was your first clue? Try reading the post before jumping off a cliff next time. :rofl:

20. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This thread fucking blows, and so do you.

21. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

LOL @ robot maxipad

22. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

stop being a douche bag in every fucking thread

23. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: agreed.

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Kiss my ass motherfuckers. I'm not a douche. I criticize apples cause I love them. You can't handle that, then your fanboy asses can ignore me. This thread blows because there is no apple phone.