SRS Ends aren't meeting / can't find a new job

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Brian May, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Brian May

Brian May New Member

Let's see...

This year has been a very good one right from the very start which is odd considering my 14 years of living in this area has been absolutely hell for me. I met a wonderful woman who's stuck by me and supports me 100%. I worked hard and pushed myself to finally get my G.E.D. which is a miracle in and of itself. I also scrimped and saved to put myself through 6 weeks of Truck Driving School, graduated with high grades and got my CDL class A driver's license.

It's been almost 2 months since I've had my license. I've put in almost 30 applications and have only been on 6 job interviews. 5 of the 6 interviews went extremely well and I always hear similar comments from interviewers; "You're just what we're looking for" or "You're perfect for the position, I'll run this by my supervisor and we'll see how soon we can get you in" etc. Yet none of these places will get back to me or give me the common courteously of returning my follow up phone calls. My driving record is clean by industry standards and I have no prior criminal, drug or felony record. I have stable residence and employment history as well. The only thing I can think of that is hindering my opportunities is my rather poor credit report which I am in the process of cleaning up but will take time.

I'm trying to save money as best as I can, but I am living paycheck to paycheck until I pay off my auto loan in another 7-8 months. I am trying very hard to save whatever money I can so that me and my gf can get a place together but the longer I go without a real job, the longer I'm stuck living in my dumpy apartment

Don't mind me, I needed to vent. I don't do it very often. Happy fucking holidays

2. Quiesce

Quiesce New Member

Are you open to long haul trucking?

My brother left the service in January and decided to become a truck driver. All he did is call the company and they hired him with just a phone interview and paid for his school. From what others have told me it is not too uncommon of an occurance. I guess they have a hard time finding people.

3. enfiniti

enfiniti How firm thy friendship ... OHIO!

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

There is no failure except in no longer trying. So don't give up, because next to your drivers license getting a job can sometimes feel like an expertise in itself. What i have experienced myself is that 'eye to eye' is much more powerfull then phone talks, don't let yourself get down if people reject you. Keep on trying because you have to make a space for yourself in this market.

5. Brian May

Brian May New Member

I interviewed with FedEx and UPS. No luck with them. Once they pull my credit report and see my shitty scores and trade lines they don't want me.

Once I get this credit report cleaned up, hopefully I'll have better luck finding employment. I am looking into getting a secured credit card and possibly a small secured loan to help improve my scores.

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

legally, they have to tell you if credit was the reason why you did not get a job.

I have a job in finance and poor credit... so anything can happen.

Jobs in your area suck.. I have friends up there and it's a really shitty deal that way.

7. Brian May

Brian May New Member

That is a good bit of information to know. Thanks! :bigthumb:

Yeah this area isn't known for high paying employment opportunities. Most people who live here commute to northern NJ, NYC or Philly area for work.

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I suggest you do the same.

9. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

He should look for jobs in other states and then he could move...maybe it'll be better

10. civicmon

he's about 100 miles from philly and new york city (south and east, respectively) so looking for a job down south towards allentown/northern Philly suburbs mean the commute will be a real bitch, but the jobs are there.

what city/township are you in OP, PM me if you don't wanna say out here...

11. Brian May

Brian May New Member

My plan was to get myself established with a local company, driving a route where I could be home every night. There are companies that offer opportunities like that around here, but getting hired has been a bitch. Eventually me and my gf were going to move to New Jersey, somewhere in between the Pocono Mountains and New York City.

Civicmon, I live 10 minutes away from Tannersville (Crossings Outlets, Camelback mountain)

12. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

You may want to (1) redo your resume with a professional service such as www.resumeEdge.com - personally I just looked at their samples and copied the layout and made mine look like it for free... :squint: and (2) read a book on how to do a stellar interview. I am sure your local library has tons for free.

13. civicmon

my best friend from elementary school lives like right down the road from Long Pond racetrack bit south of Camelback....

14. Brian May

Brian May New Member

I'm maybe 20 minutes from there. My friend also lived in that area as well. Hellish in the winter time :noes:

15. TheFirstSamurai

TheFirstSamurai New Member

While I totally agree with the resume thang, I have to give it to the guy that he's been giving great interviews from the response he's had. I've never had that at an interview (except for one for working at a petrol station, which Iturned down :nono: ), so, my advice would be double check your credit history and license and just make sure noone's botched anything. Any genuine shizzle just smooth out and you'll be happy as larry mate.

Jamie

16. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

And I should add, check for typos on your resume. Is you phone number and email address correct? Anything mis-spelled?

As a rule, I can almost ALWAYS find 1-2 errors on *every* resume that is submitted to me. It's sad!

17. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Oil companies here pay $425/day for people to haul oil from lease sites. Its shitty work, at times, and they can't find enough people to do it. I would do it.