Ender's Game Movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by seven, Jun 12, 2005.

1. seven

seven New Member

2. -Stryder-

-Stryder- Guest

Holy crap. If they do this movie right it could truly be one of the greatest sci fi movies of all time. The ender saga is one of my favorite series.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

The only problem:

It's only ANNOUNCED, and it was last updated 16 months ago, and it hasn't even been cast yet. Anybody want to bet it doesn't happen?

4. seven

seven New Member

it has to happen some time in the future....just hope it's good

5. seven

seven New Member

6. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

When was the last time Wolfgang Peterson handled an sci-fi type movie?

7. Joe_Cool

Oh, great. The guy who put Achilles inside the Trojan Horse (as if he wasn't heroic enough as the story was written :rolleyes: ) is going to write Ender's Game? He's going to have Ender fly to the bugger homeworld and go Rambo, killing them all singlehandedly. :ugh:

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i just hope they dont cast a girly looking boy

and the shower scene where he pwns that kid should be in the movie 2, it will pull in the child molester demographics

9. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Ender's game was ok. The rest of the series was too campy and full of liberal anti war bullshit

10. Joe_Cool

That absolutely has to be there. You can't take it out without totally changing the character of Ender.

11. Celica311

Celica311 i

i LOVED enders game, i just finished reading it recently cuz my old boyfriend made me. now i have to read the others though, cuz it was so good.

but anyways, about the movie, i heard they were going to get sean connery to play colonel graff. dont quote me on it though.

12. Joe_Cool

That would be weak.

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

dot

Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow were the only worthwhile books in that series, IMO.

14. tigerafro

tigerafro New Member

ive only read game and shadow. i liked game but shadow seemed to just drag on. sigh..... i have to move on to speaker of the dead. hope its better

15. Joe_Cool

If you think Ender's Shadow was boring, you're going to hate Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

They're good books, but they're not action packed, and they're totally different from Ender's Game.

16. Wakefield

Wakefield Active Member

Orson seems to like him, I think he isnt going to let this movie be released if it sucks.

17. Joe_Cool

I hope he negotiated creative control and veto power. But yeah, I'm confident it will be great or not released:

:bowdown:

18. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

In regards to Troy:

If they didn't put Achilles in at the end of the movie, it would have been like that movie with john wayne where the dies halfway through. Killing the main character too early is the kiss of death in movieland. The problem is, in a movie, you have to have one a central character- maybe a couple- but you can't have just everyone be the bad guy like it is in the original Iliad. SOMEONE has to be the focal point to hold the movie together. While I would have rather seen the story play out exactly as the Iliad had it, also keep in mind that the horse and whatnot is all in the aeneid- it's not even from the same work. Troy was a movie interpretation. You can't do certain things in movies that you can in books or you'll lose the crowd.

19. Joe_Cool

Odysseus was the main character holding it together. Not Achilles.
    And the book "The Iliad" isn't about the characters - it's about the fall of Ilium - Troy.

20. CrimsonVonDoom

CrimsonVonDoom There Cannot be Two Skies OT Supporter

Odysseus was hardly the movie's central character, much more attention was paid to achilles, and he propelled the majority of the movie's action. I would argue that the Iliad had no central character, really, as -as you said- it's about the fall of Troy. However, it's a heroic epic, and therefore, a character driven story. The manner in which the battles occur (one on one duels to the death surrounded by a supporting cast of soldiers who do little more than fight over the bodies of their leaders) clearly emphasizes the heroism of individual characters. So while there are no "central characters," it is the story it is because of those characters.

Even movies about world war 2 have to give you some characters to focus on. In the literary world, you can get away with not having central characters in favor of descriptions of what's going on. However, in cinema, you have to focus on characters or you'd just have sam elliot reading a script to the audience for two hours. Given that Brad Pitt was Achilles, as well as the fact that he was the focus of the movie's attention (in terms of character), he is very much the central character. Killing him off at the proper time would have left everyone confused and angry.

Then again, even in the Iliad, he dies closer to the end. If Homer had written all of the plot about the Trojan horse and such, even he may have decided to let Achilles live longer- as it stands, Achilles's death in the book is close enough to the end of the action. Even at that, however, given the freedom of a literary medium, Homer didn't have to hold people's attention the same way as those responsible for Troy did.

My point is simple. The Iliad rocks. That doesn't mean that because Troy changed some of it to make it fit for the movie screen that I didn't like Troy. It's a well-made MOVIE, not a well-made live action epic poem. The choices they made were because of the format. If you aren't going to like the movie, don't blame the director, blame the medium in which it was presented. If he had presented the movie in the same exact manner as the book, the movie would have been terrible. Sure, it would have been more true to the story, but movies are about entertainment and making the most money. The movie wouldn't have been as entertaining had it been left exactly as the poem, and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. In terms of movies, it's well-done, and sacrificed little of what was important about the story.

Hell, Peter Jackson didn't stay 100% true to Lord of the Rings because of the fact it was a movie (3 movies, actually). Were those movies good? Yes. Do I hate Peter Jackson for not following the story to the letter? No. I love Homer's work as much as anyone, and I seriously hate pointless remakes of things, but Troy was the big budget popular movie that the Iliad needed to bring the story to a modern audience. For that, I am grateful.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  21. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Like most good scifi, either it'll get butchered by hollywood's marketing police so that it fits their generic profitable action flick model, or it will totally rock and they'll deem it unprofitable and shitcan it 70% through production. Either way, I am almost sure they will be forced to censor or at least tone down Ender's treatment of his tormentors because the book's descriptions of the fights are so starkly bloodthirsty and brutal, they'd probably have childrens' activist groups crawling all over their hides otherwise. That's unfortunate because the gritty way human experience, especially childhood, is portrayed in the story is a major part of why it is so good.

Well, it's cool there's going to be an attempt, but I don't have high hopes.

22. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

Any updates?

23. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

my friend borrowed that book and never gave it back :wtc:

ill pick the series up sooner or later :o

24. Shystah

Shystah OT Supporter

Who should play ender? Haley Joel Osmand? yeah right.

25. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

i read that book soo many times growing up.