Ender's Game --- and books like it

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by The Grid, Aug 24, 2008.

1. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

I bought the book on thursday. Started reading it on friday. Finished it 5 mins ago. I cannot express how much I loved this book!

I rarely rarely read ficiton b/c I'm always trying to learn/improve myself by reading nonfiction stuff, but I was selling some books to halfprice books and figured, why not just buy it here (since i never sell books back) b/c eventually I want to read it (b/c i've ALWAYS seen this book recommended in book rec threads). LOVED THE BOOK!

can you guys please recommend some books like this or anything that you think is on this level of excellence?

How are the rest of card's books? isn't there a sequel or prequel to ender's game? if so - how is it? would it ruin ender's game? (i like imagining what happens after the book ends)

WHY IS THIS NOT A MOVIE?!? i always see people cry out that this should be a movie and now that i've read it, it would be a really great movie... if they could pull it off

spoilers******

I'm confused on how traveling through space doesn't make you age? LIke valentine was 25yrs old at the end and peter was like 77?

also - why do you think peter was a good/peaceful ruler when valentine/ender always thought he was evil? was it just b/c he was so jealous of ender that it brought out the rage in him? or was it b/c valentine sealed her/ender's fate by gathering all that evidence against peter so he knew he didn't have to worry about competeing with ender?

2. Mulsanne

Mulsanne The Man = Funk Fusion Chaos

because when have you ever seen one great sci-fi book that made a great movie? So many Philip K Dick stories were ruined by hollywood. When it comes to sci-fi books >>>>>>>>> movies.

Anyway I would steer you towards Philip K. Dick because he's legendary.

3. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

any specific book recommendations? i'd like to read a brief summary (that doesn't give the book away at all) to see if i'd be interested in reading it (not saying u have to give one, but i'd like a title so i can find one)

I know almost nothing about the sci fi genre

i've heard the warhammer books are cool?

thx!!

4. Zot

Zot OT Supporter

I loved Ender's Game, and read Ender's Shadow right after. That was a pretty good read as well.

5. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Ender's Game is by far my favorite book. Hell, I introduced it to a friend, and he now has a 3 year son that he named Ender.

The Ender's Game series has 4 books, and then there is a parallel series, called the Shadow series, that is as good or better that came out later, which is another 4 books.

I honestly recommend going from Ender's Game to the Shadow series, then going back to finish off the original series. So, the order that I recommend is:

Ender's Game
    Ender's Shadow
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind

Speaker, Xenocide and Children of the mind explored what happened to Ender after the bugger war. To me, it went off in a different direction entirely, and while being VERY good, failed to explain the results of that war on Earth.

The Shadow series stayed with the characters that remained, and followed them along in their attempts to keep everyone on Earth from killing each other. It shows how Peter changed for the better, and how Bean turned out to be a key player in it all.

As far as the "time travel" is concerned, Orson Scott Card used Einstein's theory of relativity to help along the story line, and to allow Ender a fresh start with none of his previous influences. The theory of relativity says that the faster you move in space, the slower that time moves.

I think there have been a few more books that have come out since the Shadow series, but I haven't gotten around to picking them up yet.

6. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

And as for the why isn't it a movie - there have been talks about it FOR YEARS, but they could never get a script they were happy with, and were always worried about finding child actors that were young enough, but could still pull off looking like geniuses.

7. Euclid

Euclid New Member

OSC himself explains this in the audiobook version of the Ender's Game series.

It was interesting hearing him describe the difficulties he had with movie studios who wanted to change the characters to be post-pubescent teenagers in order to cram in a sexual / romantic subplot. Also, the challenge of finding a large number of talented child actors.

I think we will see movie adaptations in 5-10 years, with non-human (computer generated) actors.

8. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

my girlfriend liked the book Old Man's War a lot. she also liked Ender's Game a lot. they're both sci-fi and probably a little bit similar.

9. Wakefield

Wakefield Active Member

After you read the Ender series check out OSC's Enchantment. IMO that is his best book

10. Purchase

Purchase New Member

DUNE. READ IT. DUNE. By Frank Herbert by the way.

11. Logos

Logos New Member

Hmm, I think the books I've read most similar to the Ender series are perhaps the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons. They're freaking good.

12. Bagsic

Bagsic New Member

i concur.

and read all the books in the series for ender's game

and it was talked about for being turned into a movie...screen play has been written for awhile but it just hasn't taken off. and imo, it shouldn't. its the type of book that just can't be turned into a movie, and if it does it would suck horribly.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0400403/

13. Televandalist

Televandalist New Member

Orson Scott Card's Sci-fi is amazing, but his fantasy is mediocre at best... check out the whole Ender and Bean series

14. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

fucking, some dude that stole my gf in college gave me a copy of Ender games before he pounced on her.

i never read it, is that something in the book or something? the guy was a cock, btw.

15. tpliquid

tpliquid Oh hi, My GF has been upgraded ^ OT Supporter

A friend bought me this book, she told me it was one of her fav books. I really liked it too!

16. bovine

bovine New Member

Asimov's Foundation series is always a good one.

Another great set of books is The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. It's sci-fi/fantasy set so far in the future that the sun is a red giant. The technology used by the ruling classes has basically become like magic to the masses, who live like medieval peasants.

17. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

I actually found the foundation series to be abit dry. I read all but the last one, (should go back and finish it).

18. BCKane

BCKane KPS 99

L.E. Modesitt JR has some very good Sci-fi style books. He has quite a bit on environmental and social ideals (kinda hard to explain). I personally like:

Forever Hero
    Ecolitan books
    Parafaith War books

And then all his stand alone Sci-fi ones too. His wiki page has the list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._E._Modesitt#Non-Series_Science_Fiction

19. fray

fray New Member

Not exactly sure what Ender's Game is - wiki made it sound like pretty straight up sci-fi. But, if you like Sci-fi/fantasy at all, CS Friedman has a very good series called the Coldfire Trilogy. It was great. I couldn't put it down. I believe Friedman has some other sci-fi books that are ok too. I read one of them, but it wasn't as good as the trilogy.

20. BCKane

BCKane KPS 99

I like the way she mixes the sci-fi aspect with the fantasy aspect. Though the ending was a bit of a let down. :hs:

21. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

wow thx everyone for the replies! keep them coming!!

dune- i'm actually tivo'ing the movie tomorrow since a friend recommended it (The original one)... but is the book really that good? like would watching the movie ruin it? (i HATE HATE HATE knowing whats going to happen... like it would dissuade me from reading the book probably)

ender series-
    looks like ender/shadow series are my next books! I'm just worried that what i imagined happened will be ruined when i read the other books... like i'll be let down b/c usually sequels fucking suck compared to the original

22. BCKane

BCKane KPS 99

Personally i thought the Sci-fi Channel's Dune series was quite a bit more in keeping with the books. The original movie was ok, but missed a hell of a lot of the book (like most book-> movie). I would read the book first.

23. fray

fray New Member

I read it so long ago now, I can only vaguely remember. I just know that I loved the series so much. I need to reread it again.

24. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

1- your friend is awesome lol

2-what does everyone else think about this order? i ask b/c i looked up the nebula and hugo awards and speaker of the dead won both awards the following year so i really want to read that

also-
    http://dpsinfo.com/awardweb/nebulas/#1985
    http://www.thehugoawards.org/?page_id=33

look through those awards, seems like there should be a lot of really good sci fi books in those lists?

as for the movie -
    thats exactly what i thought would happen... the movie would be too hard to pull off to do the book justice. Not enough good child actors, hard to do all that character development to love/hate characters and then go back and forth so much then to have a deep understanding of them and forgive them/feel empathy for them... very daunting task

25. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

cool thx, i'll most likely read dune after the ender series then.

had no idea it was a tv series either... and i know there is a dune II movie... so the book must be fucking amazing to have all that done!