End-to-end performance monitoring?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jul 10, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

We're experiencing some pretty bad performance issues on a few of our systems here. Do any of you know of a product that does end-to-end performance monitoring? A friend recommended http://www.opnet.com/ which I'm going to take to my boss, but I'm wondering if anyone has used other tools/services?

I figure the app will need to have agents that run on the various pieces of the environment and somehow track specific tasks as they run end to end.

Right now the app and DBA teams are blaming a problem on storage. Some task used to take 7 hours and it is now taking 12. I looked at the disk and avg wait, avg serv and avg queue are all respectable, most of the time they are great but at times we do get some > 15ms wait and serve times and some queueing. There is definitely a disk issue (our 9970 has hot spots and we are in the process of moving to a DMX), but nothing so major to cause these tasks to take almost twice as long.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

end to end from disk to app? I don't know of one. For storage performance monitoring, Akorri BalancePoint was very impressive to me. From the db, to the lun, to the rg, to the disk. You need HiCommand in order to use Balancepoint though.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

At this point, I'm not looking specifically for disk related info. I'd like to see if there is some way of flagging a job so that we know what it is doing each step of the way. i think there have to be issues with the app/database.

4. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

if you just want disk related info I'd just use sar to get disk usage info and bonnie to benchmark your access times, bandwidth, etc.