End of Summer Boat Detail! (Many Pictures)

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by MartyFukstein, Sep 14, 2005.

1. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

This was a 1994 Reinell 20' ski boat that had been only superficially cleaned in 11 years of use. A 40 hour project, but it's looking beauteous again. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boosted_AWD_

Boosted_AWD_ 10,000 Watts RMS

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Products and process?

My hat is off to you, outstanding job. I despise detailing boats, just a complete PITA especially if it has been neglected.

4. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Thanks. I first drenched the hull with citrus and degreaser, then pressure washed. There was still some staining, on which I used my DeWalt 849 buffer with a wool pad and 3M heavy cut compound @ 1000-1800 RPM, which I found during my research at Autopia.org to be the most efficient means of buffing out scratches and polishing gelcoated fiberglass.

The interior was thoroughly pressure washed and vacuumed while still wet. All vinyl surfaces were cleaned with a grease/oil/dirt remover forumulated for vinyl (don't know the brand, as I get it from my local supplier), then dyed with straight white and sealed with a proprietary water sealer.

The outboard assembly was simply pressure washed, scuffed with a paint prep scuff pad, then touched up with aerosol black enamel--strictly a cosmetic fix, as this boat is being sold soon.

I've found that I can be particularly aggressive when detailing white fiberglass. Tough stains can be removed with scuffing pads and followed with a buffer with no visible scratching.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

...which is why traditional car polishes tend to be ineffective. Meguiars carries a full line of gel coat specific product and so does Collinite.

I hope you were well compensated for your work, you certainly deserve it! :bowdown: