Encrypting the Wireless Router. HELP.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex, Mar 30, 2006.

1. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

OK, I don't pay for the internet because my landlord (who lives downstairs has a wireless router and a cable hookup) but the problem is is that he doesn't secure it.

Meaning I go on the internet and it gets super-lagged/DC'ed because I know half the town is connected to it.

He has a NETGEAR router, I want to just quickly pop into his apartment and pop on some form of security. I'm pretty tech-savvy (CS major), but I won't have time to really fart around on his computer. I've never actually secured a network b/c I never had to. What's the quickest and fastest way to secure the wireless signal?

P.S. (Just asking him to secure it || running a CAT5 == NULL)

2. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Why is MAC filtering useless for security if you use a whitelist? You think an attacker would know your allowed MAC?

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Is it not transmitted with each packet?

4. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Hah duh. I am a moran that spends far too much time on switched networks.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Your MAC still goes out on broadcasts on switched networks?

6. bandwagon

bandwagon Copy/Paste

Yes, but it's one of what should be many layers of security. Any one solution is not enough.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

WPA is enough. Any one strong crypto solution is enough.

8. 7960

7960 New Member

99% of the time WEP is enough... *most* people aren't trying to hack into another network, they just come across it and use it.

9. 7960

7960 New Member

:werd:

rather than go in his apartment, do "ipconfig" to get your default gateway and put that address in a browser address bar.

last I knew the login for netgear was "admin" and "password" so if he didn't change it, you can do everything from your laptop and not have to go in his apartment.

or, you can tell him "I turned on wireless and noticed your AP isn't secure, want me to fix it?" and set it up so only you can get through.

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

On modern equipment, WPA is as easy as WEP to setup. So why not choose a 100% secure setup?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WPA and WEP both require setup on the client... something that is not an elegant solution in his situation -- as he does not have ready-access to his landlords computer(s).

However, MAC filtering IS transparent. He can perform the setup all from his PC on the router's web-based configuration, and the landlord will experience no loss of service, or inconvenience if it is done properly.

Also, although WEP is easily cracked, and MAC filters can be worked around, most people would not care enough to do so. They will simply find open access points, and connect.

Anything can be broken if the person wants it enough... All you can do is make yours a little harder to get than the other persons, so they don't mess with yours.

12. 7960

7960 New Member

that wasn't my point. Although I agree WPA is easy, it's not always available. My wireless router is 3 years old and doesn't have it (no firmware updates for it, either).

my point was *most* of the time *any* security is "enough"....... I agree with you, it's best to use the most you have available to you, but I'm not in a hurry to replace my router just to get WPA when WEP is doing just fine for me.

13. 7960

7960 New Member

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Everything is breakable with a weak key.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

:rolleyes:

Today, WPA is not breakable if the key is non-dictionary. His post "WPA is breakable" is only true because, against the advice of every piece of literature they'll ever see, people use common words for keys and passwords.

People are morans. If they took a few minutes to read the paper that comes with the router it would take seconds to figure out "Maybe I shouldn't use 'homer' for my passphrase!!"

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

password is the best password. Who would think of that?

Supposedly, about a decade ago, the NSA never had to bother with a brute force attack. Key selection and key management was so poor that they never had to bother.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  17. alex

alex My neighbor got the gas chamber awhile back for do Moderator

OK. How would I turn this on and find my "MAC address"? I know nothing about networking. :o

18. peerk

peerk New Member

To get your MAC address go to the command prompt and type

ipconfig /all

it is listed under physical address. It should also be on your wireless card label or the bottom of your laptop for internel wireless.

You can do the same on the land lord's computers to get his MAC addresses.

If you are trying to do this with out having physical access to his computers it will be difficult to do since there may be a lot of people leeching the network and you will need to some how narrow down the MAC addresses.

And here is a manual for a wireless netgear router.

linky

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006