enclosure question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TwistedMind, Nov 14, 2005.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

So I finally decided to buy 3 elemental design 12 inch subs.
    I have a kicker kx2500.1 on the way speakers will be ordered tomarrow.
    Question I have is does the shape of an enclosure have anything to do with sq, or spl? The reason I ask is the way I want to mount the speakers in my jeep would require very long rectangular enclosures. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to this? Is the shape of the box important at all or is it only air space that matters? The enclosures will be sealed as I dont know anything about tuneing.

I want it this way for clerance as well as apperance it will look something like this ( forgive my lack of artistic ability )

|_____|_____|_____| Front
    |........|........|........|
    |_____|_____|_____| Rear

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Wow, yea. Shape has an incredible amount to do with both SQ and SPL. Many books have been written dedicated to enclosure design. Some real basic tips are first to find the required box volume, which is determined by the subwoofer and will be recommended by the manufacturer. This is most important for ported designs, but sealed also need to be close to sound good. Sealed enclosures aren't really tuned, ported enclosures are. Never build a box with all parallel sides, which causes standing waves (bad). You especially want the side that the back of the woofer faces to have an angle to it as it is the main reflecting surface. It's best also to build seperate chambers for each woofer.

You might want to have a professional design the box, but if you are willing to do a lot of reading, join a forum like www.diyaudio.com an read a lot, and maybe buy a book. I hope you're good at carpentry as well :).

3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

im excellent at carpentry. The little design above is 3 seperate sealed enclosures. Just built into one large box for cosmetic reasons. If I cant build the walls parallel what angle would you recommend? And as for the back wall how much of a slant should it have? 45 degrees?