SRS Emotions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Pringles, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Even though I'm directing this at the current issue I'm having with my ex who just dumped me the other day I had a queston about emotions. I can be emotional or not depending on my mood and what I do. I cried the other day for some time and did so the other night. Now I can completely avoid doing this and can just keep doing something else, but sometimes I like to make myself cry just to know that I'm alive and what it feels like to cry. Kinda like adds one more step to reality for my mind. What I want to know is that right now I'm taking this breakup very easily. I would consider this not so hard. True we were on a downhill so I knew it was coming, but I only stayed at home for one day and really felt sad. What I wanted to know is if it is bad for me to hold my emotions back? Like I could completely just ignore the fact that I should be in absolute pain, but I'm an optomistic person. I like to look at the joys of life because hell I could die in next five minutes and I dont want to die knowing I'm sad. I want to be greatful for what I was given, the chance of life and the challenges it gives me. Is it bad that I only look at the happy things and I need to let myself break down every now and then? Do I need to cry more?

Yes I'm a male and I'm secure with my feminie side.

2. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

You do need to let your emotions out every once in awhile. If you never let your negative emotions out, they fester and boil until one day they explode. You need to let yourself experience the sadness and let it out so that you can move on and go back to looking at the happy things without negativity hiding under your surface.

3. Pringles

Pringles New Member

is this scientifically proven? or is this something you have learned from experience? Can you name some experiences and how long pain should be suffered for each or something.

4. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

It's a combonation of the two: it is scientifically proven that people benefit from release of emotions, and I have also experienced and witnessed the effects.

Let me clarify something: you are asking how long pain should be suffered for different types of events. I am not saying that pain should be suffered. I am saying that pain should be released. It you wallow in pain, that isn't going to do you any good. If you express that pain, contemplate it, and learn from it, then you will grow from it and be able to move on in a healthy way.

I just googled and found a couple articles that I think you should look at:

Transforming the Mind
    http://www.trans4mind.com/transformation/transform3.14.htm

Writing to heal
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun02/writing.html

I will post more articles later. I have to go to work now.

5. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Thanks, I'll check these out.