SRS emotional vs. physical pain

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Nite_Lilly, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

I have come to the conclusion that emotional pain is worse.:wtc:

2. accelerator

accelerator New Member

In a way, yes it is.

Hang in there, be strong, and whatever it may be that is bothering you, rest assured (though it may be difficult to believe at present) that you will survive this and be a happier person one day (and soon).

:)

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

It depends what type of emotional pain you're feeling. I've experienced some of the worst physical pain a human being can endure. I've also experienced the worst emotional pain. We're talking pain levels on a scale of 1-10, with ten being completely debilitating and life threatening. If the pain is so bad that it's sending you into cardiac arrest, then ...it's danger territory. If your emotional pain is so agnoizing that it's driving you to end your life, or murder someone else -- or.....debilitate your moral/virtues in favor of acting irrationally, -- and then you follow thru with it -- those are both 10's

I've hit 9 1/2 on the emotional, and 9 on the physical pain scale. Let me tell you, that during those events, I'd so beg to be put into a coma. Either or, would solve the problem temporarily!

Both types of pain can be resolved in many cases, if the issues which created them, or the underlying causes of them are discovered and addressed.

Addressing pain comes in so many forms. For most here, it means expressing what's really inside them -- even if they judge themselves harshly for it. Truth is not always pleasant or kind -- but truth is real, it is what is, independent of what you or I want. That's reality. It is what we all truely struggle and strive to have, but once we do get there, we're affraid or unhappy with the result.

Truth takes time to heal, but it ultimately frees us and leaves us much happier and healthier than where we began before we let the truth out.

4. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

5. accelerator

accelerator New Member

Care to elaborate what exactly you're dealing with here? Perhaps then you can get different opinions on the matter, which may prove useful to you in terms of being able to pull things together.

6. johan

johan Active Member

Physical trauma eventually heals. Emotional trauma....goes on.

Unless you seek treatment. Emotional issues are made much worse because people usually nurse their wounds on their own.

With a massive physical wound, you would seek immediate professional medical attention.

But so few people seem to realize the same is needed with severe emotional issues, preferring instead to quietly nurse the pain themselves, and then wonder why it takes years to heal. If you're lucky.
    For some, the pain never goes away.

Seek treatment. Get help. Get healthy. It is possible.

7. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

There is such a thing as being so depressed you either go into cardiac arrest or start a fibrillating heart rhythm.

8. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I feel that all pain is temporary, but what we allow ourselves to remember/feel is what hurts us

9. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

When you open your heart to let someone in and you trust them more than anyone else, and then the person turns away from you after making you feel that they would be there forever, it leaves a gaping hole in your soul which cannot be filled with activities, charities, work or other types of loves. That's what's happening to me.

We, together and separately, went for therapy. While he was helpful to me in dealing with and recovering from my 'baggage', when it came time for him to dig deep to find his 'baggage', he opted to leave the relationship for easier [in the short term, anyway] pastures.

I still believe in our potential to 'make it' together and I find it painful and hard to accept his betrayal.

10. Shayes

Shayes OT Supporter

i agree

the mind is a much more powerful thing than any other part of the body

11. VA197

VA197 New Member

At the moment, this physical pain is killing me. I think I could deal with emotional pain better. I could cry it out, rant and rave, and feel some relief. Right now my body is wracked with pain and I am seriously considering taking every drug in h=the house and self inducing a coma to make it stop. I am out of my mind with it.

My head hurts so bad my brain is scrambled, The nerves n my back are itching and burning as the whelps creep my back yet again, the itching that I'm not allowed to touch. My joints are aching and burning like on fire. My sugar is going crazy high due to the pain, can't get it down, so eyesight is blurry. Breathing shallow, and I wish god would just take me away.

I'm a type 1 brittle diabetic. I contracted Shingles last May from a friend, then passed it on the my boyfriend, his father, and one of his workmates. It took me over three months to get throught it. The prospect of doing this over again makes me want to just die now. This is a curse. I hurt so bad, I would do anything to make the pain stop.

If I die, you are all invited to my funeral. I've left instruction for an openbar. say nice things about me.

12. procrastinator

procrastinator New Member

I find physical pain relatively easy to deal with in comparison to emotional pain. But only in comparison, they both suck.

Emotional pain sucks because it has a tendency to fuck with your rational thought process, blinding you from the possibility that it can end. We're just wired to dislike physical pain, but its generally a lot shorter and it doesnt scar as bad.

13. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

Obviously everyone has a different life experience. I should qualify my statement saying that for me the emotional pain of my divorce has been worse than any physical pain that I've had, so far, in my life. The emotional pain has been cronic, whereas the physical pain was always temporary and mostly controllable by meds. Beth, I feel for your condition and I don't mean to say that mine is worse. I hope you feel better.

14. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I've hit both and both are problematic as well.

Hit an emotional wreck with this girl and I was feeling extremely depressed (not on the level of killing myself) but it was so bad that I would wake up still thinking about it. I couldn't eat nor sleep well and I had this gut feeling.

Physical pain is one I have now. I have costochondritis and the first few months were HELL. I had this swelling feeling in the chest. Couldn't eat without feeling like puking, sleeping was worse. I had a very bad fever in which I was shaking uncontrollably and sweating.

I still have it, however I am slow recovering from it.

Physical pain becomes unbearable when it becomes constant.

15. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

What is costochondritis? What's your prognosis?

It's strange, but the 'can't eat, can't sleep and nausea' symptoms can also go with the emotional problems. How it's all connected is curious.

I'm just so tired of being miserable. I want to be happy again; feel like somebody loves me and cares about me.

16. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

costochondritis is an inflammation of the chest wall. It's painful, but it's definitely one of the more livable pains. It sucks, but you can manage it and get on with your life.

17. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

I've read the heart break has the same feeling as being punched in the gut. Same part of brain.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There isn't any difference, really. The brain runs on chemicals and the same chemicals are used to transmit both types of pain.

Well...I guess there is one difference. With physical pain, you usually want to keep doing stuff. Not so much with emotional pain. That being said, I'm sure whatever you're feeling right now is still better than being physically abused.

Sorry for whatever you're going through. I don't usually get nausea, I just feel like someone turned down the volume and color saturation on the world so it's like an old TV show with no sound.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fuck. :( Can't they give you morphine or something if it's that bad?

20. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I concur.
    I got beaten by an ex boyfriend and while it sucks and I seize up if I witness violence around me the things he did to me emotionally are watch really stay with me.
    Bones heal, the mind never forgets

21. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

I've lost most of my motivation to do anything other than what I must as a result. It seems that there is hardly any point to it without the love I lost.

I like your TV analogy. Even the things I enjoy have lost most of their appeal. The person who meant the most to me isn't there to share it with me.

So true. The irony is that if he did come back, I'm not sure how I could trust him again. And how do I go about trusting anyone else after this. I mean, look at John Edwards' case. Married 32 years, his wife is terminally ill, and he could still do this to her. And there are so many of these examples, I wonder if there is any one at all out there worthy of such intimate trust anymore. The pain of my betrayal will probably always be with me, even if I do find someone else after a while.

22. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

I learned a long time ago that for you to trust you have to let go and it is a massive step. Especially for me after being cheated on, put down and physically abused. But I am so confident in my husband and how our relationship that I would bet my life that he would never cheat on me and he would never do anything to hurt me. And I feel the same way towards him. We are together for ever. We don't know what other issues The Edwards' faced and we don't know the strength of their relationship in private.

Some couples grow closer through tragedy, some don't. Only the two people involved know

23. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I'd take physical pain over emotional pain any day of the week thankyouverymuch