Embedded touchscreen platform?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mobbarley, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Hi, looking for a platform for a new project which needs 5-10" touchscreen lcd with a com port or GPIOs for graphical charts and controls. Windows (embedded/CE) seems like a good candidate for not reinventing the wheel as you get to use visual studio etc.

Can anyone recommend any inexpensive CE hardware or another platform worth investigating?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I'll be looking into something like this in about 6 months as well, let me know what you find.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

4. caddymac

caddymac New Member

Redlion, Maple, C-more, Allen Bradley, and GE Fanuc QuickPanel are all brands that make touch screen Human Machine Interfaces (HMI's).

I'd recommend a 6" screen or larger, generally because the screens have better resolution and Ethernet parts are easier to come by.

Be warned that if you are looking for cheap, industrial touch panels are not the way to go.

Most of my experience is with QuickPanel and a few QuickPanel Views. QuickPanel View uses Windows CE, but it still needs the same programming software as the regular QuickPanel.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

any tips for keeping the cost down for a prototype? I've been even tempted to look at hacked GPS units etc but they won't look very good panel mounted.

6. caddymac

caddymac New Member

You could try calling around to local electrical supply companies that sell the above mentioned panels and see if you could borrow a demo unit. Most seem to love to show off their stuff, and it's a pretty competitive field.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Just get a used iPaq off eBay. Make sure it's running Windows CE.NET or Windows Mobile 4 at least. If you want it to look good panel-mounted, take the casing off and cut a rectangular hole in a blank plastic panel for the screen to show through.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I used to do a lot with the Microtouch touchscreens, but not sure thats what you're after?

9. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

i might do this for testing, then buy a real one if it eventuates. not bad.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, now that I think of it, take a look at PSION Teklogix. They make a bunch of touchscreen industrial computers.