Embarrassed to go to the gym :(

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Asylum, May 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asylum

Asylum Guest

I'm not going to lie, i'm a fatass. I'm like 5'10 and 235 pounds with a 45 inch waist, I really hate the way my body looks and I wanted to do something about it, so I joined a gym and I was so motivated to lose all this weight.

Yesterday was my first day working out at the gym, since i'm just starting out I did some pretty easy stuff on the eliptical machine, tread mill, and some light weight lifting.

There were so many hot girls and huge body builders at the gym, I was the only fat person in the entire building and it was so embarassing being on the eliptical machine going slow when there were hot women all around me going fast, I know this sounds pathetic, but I was so concerned with making sure my man boobs and huge stomach weren't jiggling around in front of all these hot women, it was just so humiliating I could barely even focus on what I was doing.

I am just so embarrassed to go back to the gym I don't know what to do. I wish I could work out at home but I can't afford thousands of dollars worth of expensive treadmills and stuff.

Any kind words of advice or anything would be appreciated.

2. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Listen, I'm at the gym almost everyday and I see everything from hot fitness chicks to fat old women to kids who can barely lift anything. And you know what?

I DON'T CARE (well ok the women are nice to look at). Why? Because I'm in the gym trying to improve myself, which is what you're doing, and I don't really give two hammered shits what other people in there think about me or what they're doing.

Now I know you're probably pretty self-conscious about your weight but nobody really cares and as long as you're taking steps to change that then you're on the right track.

Besides, its probably good for you to step out of your comfort zone. You can't hide from everyone all day long, so get your ass back in the gym and fuck what anyone else thinks.

3. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Don't be embarrassed. Seriously. Take a deep breath, be fucking proud of yourself for going in the first place! It takes more for you to make it there than it does anybody who is "hot".

A fair amount of the people there don't even really notice others; people who are really into their workouts just do their thing and don't bother too much worrying about anybody else. Anybody even worth considering the opinion of in regards to you being at the gym will tell you it's great you're there in the first place. Anyone who puts you down needs to be written off as an asshole.

Grats on getting there and keep it up!

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

my first day was yesterday. I felt weird being around these heavy lifters and i was there with my ligher weights. But i did it anyway, WHY? BECUASE ITS FOR ME. Screw what they think, you are doing this for you, and it is respectable that you are doing something to help it.

Keep it up:bigthumb:

5. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

stop being a bitch and go

6. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

if they got a problem with you tell em to fuck themselves just do your thing. most true exercise nuts would try to help you rather than laugh at you anyways. (except the kids cause they're just stupid asses). Go lift and enjoy, fuck em if they don't like it man, don't live your life worried about what others think of you.

7. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

I was embarrased when I first started too... lifting lighter weights than everyone else. I just forced myself to keep going, and in a few weeks I realized that no one else gave a damn what I was doing. Just keep going - pretty soon you won't feel like that anymore, especially when you start seeing the weight come off. Anyone that's worth actually talking to there is going to applaud you for actually going in the first place.

8. ~*Pogovina*~

~*Pogovina*~ Whip it! Whip it good!!

my husband told me basically the same thing, that he wanted to get fit to a certain level before going to the gym. i told him I've seen so many "fatasses" there that he'd actually put most of them to shame (he's built so barrel-chested and naturally big that he looks more intimidating than overweight). It's silly to want to get fit in order to go somewhere to get fit. To me that's as silly as hand washing my dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

edit: and i personally would much rather see someone that is overweight trying to do something about it than sitting on the couch at home. i'd rather have a gym FULL of "fatasses".

9. {WBK}Blood_Lust

{WBK}Blood_Lust New Member

I loved the bold section, lol perfect.

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

honestly, everybody is concerned about what you think about them. anyone who's been going to the gym more than a year (which if they look good, they probably have) has seen everything come and go, they don't care at all. If anyone says anything, give them the middle finger in the name of nukegoat and keep doin your thing. I still have this suspicion that most people at my gym don't like me. Its probably true. I'm also weak and shitty after 2 years...

I had a friend who went from 310 to 205 lbs in around 1 year. He said it took a while to get momentum going. Just figure you're breaking through that and you'll make it.

11. ~*Pogovina*~

~*Pogovina*~ Whip it! Whip it good!!

it's just inefficient :embd:

12. cochise

cochise OT Supporter

screw that. if any of those people are worth a damn, all they will think is "good for him."

do you're thing brotha.

13. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

when i first started lifting it was at my highschool as a freshman in texas (huge school, big on athletics). it seemed like every person there was a huge football player and i was a scrawny little kid. you know what i did? i quit. i didn't go because i was embarassed and didn't play sports again until i was a junior in highschool. i missed out on alot of athletics because i was embarassed. you're gonna be missing out on getting in shape and being happy. get your ass in there and do it.

a more practical solution than just "ignoring" it is to go at off times. you really only need about an hour of cardio at the maximum (at least as a beginner and at your weight/bf%). go in the first hour the gym is open, or the last hour before it closes. get down to your desired weight, then get back in there with the hotties and flex and show 'em ur big cut muscles (hopefully you're not doing just cardo).

14. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

How do you think I felt man? I'm fucking 5 three, 99 pounds when I started. Dude, there are barbells that weigh more than me. But you gotta start somewhere. Even now, I'm doing like a final set on flat bench and I can only rep 135, while the dude next to me is pumping 200 like it aint no thing. Instead of it discouraging you, that should motivate you. I'm a big time n00b, but we all gotta start somewhere :)

15. Ilyusha

Ilyusha Guest

Eh.. you must carry the weight poorly, because we are almost the same size and I think I look fine. :)

16. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

Most people are there to accomplish the same thing: Improve themselves.

I think if the owners of my gym saw people making fun of an overweight person, they would kick them out in a heartbeat.

And that's usually the difference between people that really workout and people who are there to fuck around.

The people that are there to socialize, talk on cell phones, and try not to sweat won't last that long.

Seriously, i'm sure no one gives a shit about you there.

17. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

starting out is the hardest part. if you are that concious about it then maybe you can go when there is not very many people there. I know it might conflict with your scheduling. but if you go like fri/sat/sun nights there wont be very many people there. once you get started and lose a little and gain some confidence you wont even notice any other people there

18. gsteclipse97

gsteclipse97 New Member

dont worry about what people think. almost everyone you see in the gym started out either a twig or a fatass. i highly doubt that your gym is full of geneticly blessed individuals. they have all been in that place of uncomfort and dont think any less of you

19. Asylum

Asylum Guest

Thanks for all the words of encouragement everyone, it is definitely appreciated.

I mean, it's not like people are coming up to me and saying "hey fatass, blah blah blah" but the second I set foot in the door it just feels like everyone is staring at me or something and the whole time i'm there, i'm more focused on sucking in my gut so I don't look like a slob when i'm on a treadmill right next to all these girls that look like models.

Going at off-hours sounds like a good idea, i'll have to call and find out when it's not busy and i'll just go at those times. I guess i'll just have to swallow my pride temporarily.

pogovina, that sounds EXACTLY like me, wanting to be at a certain level before even going so I don't embarass myself.

Thanks everyone.

20. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Keep it up and good luck, remember to lift weights too not just do cardio.

21. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

Think of it this way, each time you go you'll be looking better. Keep going and you'll keep on looking better

:)

22. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

also, start mastering your diet and what you consume. it's something you can work on outside the gym. if you're going every day to do your cardio and lift, but you're still eating caloric surplus, you're probably not going to lose much weight, then get discouraged from working out more, and then utterly fail altogether. combination of careful dieting (not saying go to 500 calories daily overnight, or ever) and cardio/lifting will get you results.

23. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

Don't go man... If you aren't fit when you go to a gym, then all the big brolys will point and laught at you. They'll then call all their friends and wait outside to beat you up in the parking lot, just as that girl you have a mad crush on walks by. She'll stop and point and laugh too. I've seen it happen everytime. You're only allowed to hit the gym if you're ripped.

24. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

:werd: seriously

I'm 5'9" and my first day at the gym I was 294 and started out walking for 30 minutes and i couldn't go past speed 3.5 without holding on, now i'm just under 200 and running.

just do it, you'll get good results and it'll be worth it if you stick to it like a man :bigthumb:

25. Liabillity

Liabillity ""

You shouldn't worry about sucking in your gut and going slow so you don't jiggle. Do you think those hotties are going to follow you into the change room to suck you off if you're two inches slimmer in the waist? And what if they did, once you take your shirt off you can't hide it anymore. 100% of the dudes don't care what you're doing.

Go all out or go home, accomplish something, do this for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.