SRS Emancipations/leaving home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by luckyirishman51, Feb 2, 2005.

1. luckyirishman51

luckyirishman51 New Member

I am 16, and my life is going pretty good. except for at home, I love my dad, my bro, but my mom is driving me insane. I have been to the point of moving out, but only have 300 and not enough for an apartment and I dont wanna impose on anyone. My mom is too protective in a way where it damages my well being. When I tell her about this she cant control her anger, and is quite verbally abusive, and yelling. She does not give me any privacy and goes through my room, and asks me about anything that is suspicious. I have tried to work this out with her, but it always ends up with her yelling at me, and it hurts. My friends have even commented on her, I blame it on her shit of a job, flight attendant which she finally retired from, it was awesome cus she would be gone for 3 days at a time.

I just want to know what an emancipation is and how to attain one. And/or how do you reccomend living away from home at this age. I really dont know what to do, so any help is appreciated. talking has not worked, I have tried many times, my Dad is afraid of her so he wont do anything.

2. SubThermal

SubThermal Colder than Cold

If you can hold out for 2 more years, college will set u free :bigthumb:

3. johan

johan Active Member

Talk to your school counselor.

Your mom sounds like a very miserable woman with very little of meaning in her own life, and has become embittered and suspicious. You are probably the nearest easy target to focus her misspent energies on.

Your school counselor can be a good place to start some talk about how to cope with this situation. Keep your grades up. This is VERY important.

Ultimately, your goal will be to move away and attend college in two years, but in order for that to happen you'll need to keep good grades and also keep your sanity. Your school probably has resources to help you find the right people to talk to.

4. luckyirishman51

luckyirishman51 New Member

thanks. yeah college sounds awesome. I have good grades, so I'm not worried. but just seems so long of this shit I have to put up with.

5. johan

johan Active Member

The best scenario would be to snag a sweet scholarship to an out of state college. Good grades are the ticket to that.

And you still have two years to go, which is why I suggest talking to someone now, in order to maintain your sanity over the next couple years before your big move.

6. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Get a dead bolt lock for your beedroom door, or buy a foot locker with a strong lock. This isn't right her going through your stuff. Still, try and avoid arguments with her as it won't get you anywhere. You might tell her that you want family counseling though. Like johan said, prepare for college and pick one several hundred miles away.

7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I would never talk to a school counselor. As good as they may seem to be, your problems/concerns turn into their gossip and sooner the whole school will look at you weird. In any case, if you want an emancipation, I think you have to prove to the courts and the judge that you are completely capable of taking care of yourself. If you think this might be tough, I would recommend getting a job, getting involved in some community stuff, hang out with your friends and stay busy. If your mom tries to peer into that, everything is legit, not like you're doing anything wrong. hang in there man. :)