Email

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by copiertalk, Jun 17, 2007.

1. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

Are there any articles you can point me to on the priciples of sending and receiving email. protocols, authentication types, pop vs imap type stuff?

I have a project at work and really need the basics of what I am talking about prior to walking into a clients office.

2. nathanb

nathanb New Member

3. copiertalk

thanks, I am going to set one of these on a network. Could some one with mail server experience have any do's and do not's as far as general rules.

http://www.eid.toshiba.com/products/copiers/estudio452.shtml

They want Push to an smb share, I do not see that in the option list. What I am thinking is to send the email to an email account for a user. I may even set it to carbon cop to several users incase that person is sick or dead.

Any other recomendations?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  4. copiertalk

It will not connect to their smtp server.

I can send mail from the workstation next to it, but not from the device. both use the same information smtp.suddenlinkmail.com.

I worked on this shit most of the day and did not get anywehre.

5. mrj

mrj New Member

You lost me at "Push to an SMB share"

Are people copying, and you want a .pdf/txt/whatever transferred to an SMB share, or what?

POP/IMAP/SMTP are very simple concepts, none of which I see having anything to do with my above question.

6. copiertalk

push to an smb share is a fancy term to mean they take the email and convert it to a pdf format document and push it to a shared folder on the network. It is just fancy words for creating a file in a shared folder. It makes the sales people happy when they can discuss pushing something accross a customers network.

What the device does and I am trying to set up is.

When the device gets a fax. It will then take the Tiff image and create a pdf image of it, attach that to a standard email and then email the document to a recipient. push to SMB and Email are two different functions, although they can be combined.

What the client wants is when they get a fax they want it converted to an email and then sent to the secretary. She can then open the email, look at the attachment and send it on to the correct dept.

7. mrj

mrj New Member

In whatever fax program they're using (I've always supported GFX Faxmaker, but it's been awhile) you need to put an smtp server, or install the SMTP server on whatever server that software is hosted on. It really depends on the application you're using. Hell, the fax machine you posted might even have its own interface for that, I don't know.

Then you should have a spot in the program to input email addresses that receive faxes. For instance, [email protected].

Secretary will have a separate inbox for fax@, will receive emails with the attached PDFs, look at them, and forward onto necessary candidates.

When you say "Push" and "Email" in the same sentence, most of us IT guys probably think you're talking about PDA "push" mail. Kind of the same concept really, but it's kind of coined to PDA/mobile devices.

8. copiertalk

The device is going to be the fax server. It is an independant part of the network. There will be no computers involved. The copier/fax will accept the fax, convert the image data to a pdf and then send it to an email address.

I am looking on their site now for some kind of guide specific to this.

I have no idea of the pda thing. I own one but In the industry when you push something, you do it with out the device requesting the information. When you pull something, you request the information and the device provides it.

industry terminology. japlish if it is a term.

9. mrj

mrj New Member

If the fax machine is going to be a fax server, it is the "computer involved" and will either HAVE an smtp server built in, or will require YOUR smtp server to relay mail.

Simple.

10. copiertalk

yes sir, i understand that, that is the part that is pissing me off. I have set up the SMTP settings on the device the same as on the workstation beside it and it still will not connect to their smtp server.

I have tried to have the device log into the smtp server for authentication and I have had problems where servers had to be popped prior to sending mail so I tried that as well.

let me plug a thumb drive in and see if I can post a manual you can look over. maybe you can see something I am missing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  11. mrj

mrj New Member

Make sure there isn't an ACL that would block its access on the smtp server.

12. copiertalk

What is an ACL, that is a new term to me?

here are all the manuals I could collect.

topaccess is the manual for most of the settings.

ot.zip

54 megs, they are op guides.

13. mrj

mrj New Member

Access control list.

You typically set only certain IP ranges, or specific servers/workstations to be able to relay mail through an SMTP server/connector.

14. copiertalk

I disabled the internal SMTP server on the device to troubleshoot that. The ISP blocks post 25 out side their network but will allow post 25 if the device is inside their network. I think that is where my problem exists.

I did not know that before, I walked into this one blind.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  15. mrj

mrj New Member

Unless it's a .biz IP, any "server" service is typically blocked, yes..

Obviously 25 will work inside their network, hows the ISP going to block something inside of YOUR network past THEIR demarc point?