MMA Elite XC’s Twisted Approach to Matchmaking (article)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Elite XC’s Twisted Approach to Matchmaking

[​IMG]

I don’t know why I was so discouraged to hear that Elite XC had decided to match Kimbo Slice against Ken Shamrock, with a Brett Rogers option reserved for some possible version of the future. I should have expected this. I guess I’m just too much of an optimist. I thought Elite XC might try for a competitive, somewhat meaningful fight instead. I’ll never learn.

It’s not that I don’t understand what Elite XC is thinking. If anything, that part is all too obvious. They want a name to put on the marquee next to Kimbo’s. Someone with drawing power, yes, but not someone who stands a good chance of winning. Preferably, they’d also like the next Kimbo victim to be susceptible to knockout. So they called on Shamrock, an over-the-hill legend who has been getting KO’d by a list of fighters that starts out fairly impressive and then gets less and less so as we near the present. He’s perfect, given their priorities, but that only tells us how screwed up their priorities are.

But it’s not just Shamrock-Slice. Look at another high profile Elite XC fighter, Gina Carano. Instead of matching her up against “Cyborg” Santos — a fight they were already hyping by the end of Santos’ victory at “Unfinished Business” — they’ve decided to put Carano up against Kelly Kobald, who’s coming off two straight losses. They’re not even bothering to try and come up with a compelling explanation for it, just ask Pro Elite CEO Chuck Champion:
    “It’s giving both an opportunity to further develop their fan bases and develop further excitement around the potential of them coming together,” Chuck Champion, CEO of ProElite, which runs the EliteXC brand, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “If Chris destroys another opponent, people are really going to be clamoring, especially if Gina gets in and clobbers hers. It’s just really about letting the fighters develop, letting them grow in their skills and their character development in order for them to eventually meet one another.” ​
    In other words, they’d rather string us along with a few squash matches first. The fact that they aren’t even intended to be competitive, that doesn’t seem to bother Elite XC. And that’s what’s really disappointing.

This begs the question, what are we watching for? Is it to see a good fight, or just a good beating? Is it because we want to know who wins, or because we want to know how bad it can get?

The worst of it is that Elite XC is squandering a great opportunity. They think that people will tune in to CBS, see Kimbo beat down Shamrock and Carano demolish Kobald, and then we’ll all be foaming at the mouth to see a pay-per-view where they actually make legitimate fights for a change. But what they’re really doing is intentionally putting an inferior product on live network TV. Someone please tell me, how does that help them build a fan base?

Maybe it wouldn’t be so irritating if they weren’t so glib about it. Elite XC has got to be the only MMA promotion in the world where being a talented fighter can keep you out of the main event. The sole reason Brett Rogers isn’t getting his shot at Kimbo on CBS is because he might win. You can’t even argue that it has to do with his lack of name recognition among casual fans, not after they put Kimbo against James Thompson in their first CBS offering.

It’s not that Shamrock can’t win, either. Any guy who knows his way around a submission the way he does always has a chance. But we all know who Elite XC wants to see come out on top, and that’s not how a fight promotion is supposed to work. Not if it wants to be taken seriously, anyway.

They know what they’re doing with these purposely one-sided fights, and they know that we know. Either they think it’s what we want, or they don’t care. Neither option is very encouraging.

anybody agree with the author? i'm in between. what's good for the sport isn't necessarily good for business, and what's good for business isn't always good for the sport :hsd:

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Part of me hopes that one of those fights ends in an upset and screws their plans.

3. ChampKind

ChampKind New Member

I agree with him, but the problem is is that it is the idealistic approach rather than realistic. Kimbo vs Ken will sadly put more eyes on the show, its all about business. That said I dont like it

4. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Can't really blame them. They are business trying to succeed. This is why Lesnar deserves alot more recognition. Hes not pussy footing around he wants to fight the best and be tested every fight. Kimbo is here to make bread not show off his skills.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I will be cheering my ass off for shamrock. I know hes old and shit but I want kimbo to get exposed I hope kenny can pull one out of his ass for the good old days. I know he has the heart and balls to win I just dont think he has the atleticism. Plus if he manages to win it makes shamrock vs shamrock more apealing.

6. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

Ken doesnt have the brains to win. He is there for a paycheck and that's it. No matter what he says he just wants the money. He's slow and old. A take down with some Gnp or a submission is the only way he has any chance of winning but that wont happen. TKO first minute.

7. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

agree with the author 100%

They would do better for the sport itself to put on competitive matches, while it might be better for them in the short run to put on matches like this. But really, who are they going to bother to put against gina if she beAts cyborg that anybody will care about? Untill and after that, the only reason anyone will tune in is because she is hot.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

the thing is, that was my main complaint about the UFC: they'd build the fights and not the fighters (sans Roger Huerta) because they are expendable

eliteXC is going the way of PRIDE where they market their fighters as best as they could, even if that meant throwing cans at them

9. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah but at least pride had super fights out of the deal. A guy would lose and they would build him back up with some cans and then throw some real guys at him

10. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

Shamrock by heelhook would make my day

11. The author really isn't giving enough credit to how think EliteXC is right now. Bigfoot is not well known but he's a champ and a freak, so that's something, but now he's out for roids. Robbie Lawler isn't a big enough star, despite an exciting fighting style. Noons is being a faggot.

Rogers and cyborg both stand good chances of knocking off the only two marketable fighters EliteXC has any kind of leash on. The company would likely fold if people stopped watching Kimbo and Gina after he got assbeatings, which is likely the case with Kimbo. I think losing would hurt Gina's marketability a lot less, unless someone popped her tits or something.

This would be acceptable to hardcore fans (and is even seen to some degree in the UFC without complaint) if they had a large stable of fighters so that they were all at different stages in this cycle, but eliteXC doesn't have that.

Many hardcores also continually forget how inexperienced both Gina and Kimbo are. They have less than 10 pro fights between them.

12. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

kimbo's had 3 pro fights. they're milking him just as much as kimbo's milking his situation. you're thinking along the lines of an established MMA fan
    also, they're both kinda sorta catering to different markets. just because they're the same sport doesn't mean they need to use the same platform

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

14. Furthermore Lesnar is doing incredibly well given his limited experience. It's unreasonable to expect a heavyweight as raw as kimbo to come in and fight guys like Mir and Herring in his 4th fight.

15. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

So many people dont get this. Let these guys have some fights to build up their experience level.

16. roose

roose Guest

I didn't click on the link, but that sounds a lot like a Kevin Iole article.

17. (-Ben Fowlkes)

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

OK, put Kimbo in the cage with Lesnar.

19. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Pride did a lot of squash matches, I didn't really hear much complaints about those.

:dunno:

20. ITR06

ITR06 OT Supporter

So many people dont get that Lesnar asked for the competition and got it, so many people dont understand that Kimbo told Brett Rogers he was going to get his bread. Kimbo is milking easy fights for money just as much as Elitexc is.

21. right, because they had enough "draw" fighters that they could have the guys that lost at the last event fighting squash matches, and the winners fighting each other in real competitive fights.

EliteXC doesn't ahve that depth.

Also, people complained endlessly about pride's matchmaking.

22. Wckd2

Wckd2 OT Supporter

im hoping Shamrock breaks Kimbo's ankle but it wont happen.

23. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

No one complained about Crocop kicking people's heads off.

:hsughno:

24. alkalinesolo

alkalinesolo Active Member

It's much easier to dominate if you are an unpolished wrestler than an unpolished boxer.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

25. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

say what?