Elise, 335i coupe, or SLK350

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by chpkorean, May 27, 2007.

1. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

Hi,

I have a variety of pretty different cars my range ($38-$45k). I am trying to choose between either getting a

2005 Lotus Elise- $39k with 23k miles. This WOULD have to be my daily driver

2007 BMW 335i Coupe- $42k would have to wait a few months

2005 MB SLK 350- $41k 15k miles

What would you guys choose?

2. barto

barto you and your...third dimension

elise would be sick but i dont know about having it for a daily driver

3. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

I don't think the Elise could every be a DD for most people. I would be a cripple if I had to climb in and out of it more than a couple times a day. Fun car, but stupidly uncomfortable.

The BMW would be practical and boring after a while.

The SLK would be my choice. My wife has an older (98) SLK and while it's not a contender performance car, it is fun and very solid. Best of all is the retractible hardtop. That makes for the best convertible ever.

I haven't test drove the new R171 SLK but by all accounts it's a big improvement over the R170 that we have. Give it a drive and see what you think.

4. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

The Elise will drive you up a wall with its impracticality within a matter of months unless you're single and have no friends and plan to keep it that way. You really can't beat the flexibility of the 335i as a daily driver.

5. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

elise is nice only thing is i read the engine is a bit too loud so id proli go with the SLK

6. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

Ya test drove the Elise yesterday. The car was pretty quick, but the road noise coupled with the excessively unconfortable seats made me switch to SLK350/280 or 335i territory.

Thanks for the help

7. In that case I'd take the BMW. The 335i is nice, and I just don't look at the cheaper Mercedes the same way as the more expensive ones. I'm sure it's a fine car, but I think that the BMW is better put together.

8. chpkorean

chpkorean New Member

Well my issue is that I am a huge attention whore... I have owned a Nissan 350 and Z4 so I am accustomed to a good bit of attention while in my car..

Afraid that I wont get same gratification in a 335i which is pretty common and not that "outrageous" even if it is a 19 year old owning it.

9. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

SLK AMG

otherwise, 335i.

10. Mr. Itchy

Mr. Itchy Guest

I work for mercedes and I have to say that SLK's are really small and mostly women drive them. Buy an SL or forget about it. They feel really cheap inside - its the only benz I don't like.

Second the Elise is such a stiff ride that you will be rocked and knocked around in it. It is a race car from the word go and I wouldn't really consider it a good DD.

Third I don't like BMW, but that would be the best choice.

A nice S4 is in your price range or perhaps a used E500. Very nice cars.

11. m3m750

m3m750 Kickin' it old school

Not sure on the S4 as compared to a 335, but I can't wait until the lease is up on my S4 so I can replace it with an M3. The S4 is a great car, but it just doesn't have the same soul as my M3 did.

I do agree that the Elise would not make a great DD. I love it as a weekend toy, but could not use it as a DD. It's too fragile if you have to street park it (no bumpers until 2007). Ingress and egress isn't bad once you get used to it, but you really wouldn't want to make a bunch of short trips.

12. Virality

Virality New Member

19? OT never ceases to amaze me....but thats beside the point

The 335 seems like the best choice on the list. I heard the same exact things on the elise as everyone else, and as far as the CLK goes, closest I've come to one is playing Test Drive Unlimited...and I bought a CLS over it...

13. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

I'm in the same boat trying to make the choice between the 335 and the Elise. Whichever I buy is just going to be a weekend toy so I am leaning towards the Elise, but the 335 is a really nice ride. I need to test drive both of them and make a decision.