Elimination of firewire on new macbooks....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

So who else is disappointed in the lack of firewire on the new macbooks. Sure i could pay a bunch more and get a pro with the fw800 port, but thats not in my price range. Im wondering what apple is thinking here, they had a big push for the imovie consumer users back a few years adding firewire to everything so you could do editing on all macs. Then they took a way a bunch of the effects and features with recent imovie versions, and now now firewire at all on consumer laptops (macbooks).

I guess apple thinks pros only use firewire and edit videos now... next the imac and mac mini will be missing these ports.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Sadly Firewire does seem to be on the way out.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

i never use firewire :dunno:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My experience has been that Firewire is ~2x as fast as USB2.0 in real life, despite having a lower rated speed.

Maybe USB3.0 will finally make it obsolete, I dunno, but if Apple is doing away with Firewire, then that's just another sign that they're going downmarket.

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

in case you haven't noticed, apple is catering to their currently-rapidly-expanding "regular consumer / college student" much more than the specialty photo/video professional.

Joe Six-Pack doesn't give two fucks about firewire, all he knows is that his mouse won't plug into that funny-shaped port on his new computer.

6. verbal

verbal Active Member

Fuck! I just realized that my MOTU Ultralite uses firewire only.

Are there any firewire to USB converters? Or FW400 to FW800 converters?

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

:werd: Firewire is faster in real life use then USB 2.0 due to the way the bus is setup to process the information xfer. I've always preferred Firewire to USB.

Gotta agree with that. The average consumer goes to the store for a hard drive and sees that the ones with USB are cheaper then the Firewire drives. What do you think they buy? It's been pretty rare to see Firewire ports on most consumer PCs forever. Only reason we've had them on everything on the Mac side for so long is because it was largely developed by Apple and they've pushed it.

You can get Firewire 800 to 400 adaptors.
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

9. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Sadly true, just surprising since they pushed iLife so much, which includes imovie to edit videos. Most DV cameras have firewire on them. But i guess usb can replicate the functionality to a certain extent.

10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I was disappointed when I found out MacBooks don't have firewire. I have consumer DV camcorders. Then I remembered my next "camcorder" will be a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, doesn't use Firewire, only USB. I've also read about using Firewire through the Ethernet port. Maybe Apple will come up with a Firewire/Ethernet adapter.

I rather Firewire not go away for good, but only time will tell that.

11. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

There are expresscard firewire adapters however

12. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

But the average consumer also buys a DV Camera like me that only has a firewire option to stream video to the PC and not USB.
    Fuck Apple, I was ready to buy a new Macbook. But not now without a solution around that without buying a new DV Camera. :madfawk:

13. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

DV camcorders are on the way out. I'm sure I know the answer to this, but have you guys stepped foot in Best Buy recently? Hard Drive based cameras are being pushed hard. Consumers couldn't give two shits about "tape based camcorders" because they are "outdated". They don't know that DV still has optimal quality, nor do they care. DVD cams are shit as well and don't allow for easy editing. Most people want ease of use when they are shopping for a camcorder....and what do HD cameras use? USB...so really, besides hard drives and Firewire's mildly faster transfer speed, what else do mainstream users really need with it?

Those of us that rely on FW bc we use it on a daily basis in the video editing field will still be buying MBP's or Mac Pros anyway...so I don't really see the problem. Yes, I think it sucks Apple pushed it so hard as a standard but that's marketing.

14. assclown

assclown Active Member

Definitely a disappointment. If the previous MacBooks didn't have firewire it would have been a little different, but these notebooks have had firewire for a long time now so it was a bad decision IMO.

15. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

disappointment but i can deal with it

16. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

Can you still do Target disk mode then? :eek:

17. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

hmmm, good point.

18. Nezart

Nezart OT Supporter

i don't think apple has any information yet on target disc mode

19. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

DV is not on it's way out. I had a JVC Everio that I lost somewhere in Malibu while I was riding my motorcycle. HDD camcorders suck for filming motion. The drive is sensitive to bumps and will skip/stop recording. Not only that, but they record video to proprietary formats. It's a hassle to import that video to iMovie or FCP/E. I was already planning on going back to a DV camcorder until the new EOS 5D Mark II came out.

Maybe regular consumers will have no choice and have to buy new USB-only camcorders(HDD,Flash,etc..) or move up to a MBP if they choose to keep their DV cameras.
    Prosumers and professionals will still keep using DV, and I'm guessing some consumers will do so as well.

DVD camcorders do suck. I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on one. Quality is just plain horrible from the examples i've seen.

20. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Awesome job missing the point. :ugh2:

The post you were replying to was saying the for average mass consumers, HD and flash memory based camcorders are rapidly becoming the norm. It doesn't matter about vibrations and shit, because the average big box retail shopper just isn't that sophisticated. I also like the way you support your claim that DV isn't on the way out simply because you owned a DV cam. Well, I guess market research counts for nothing and Apple really just needed to come over and ask you personally, lol. Look, for the mass market consumer, HD based camcorders are just fine.

And the Firewire-less MacBook is targeted at which market segment? Yup, mass market consumers.

For people that are more serious about video work - the people that buy higher end or pro level DV cams that use Firewire - Apple has a product for them too: the MackBook Pro.

Seriously, this isn't brain surgery or rocket science, people. At the mass consumer level (where the MacBook is aimed) Firewire use just isn't that common, and Apple knows it. I can't believe you people are whining about this.

21. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's no longer available. On the upside, you can boot from USB on all Intel Macs.

22. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

damn that sucks i used target disk mode a lot

23. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

24. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

nope, and thats my favorite part of firewire. it might come up as a option with usb eventually

25. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

i get your point here, but if this is truely the case, why do they offer imovie?