Electrical Amps and APC's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by murph38_99, Nov 21, 2005.

1. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

Ive got two servers, that I need to move into one room which is also becoming my office at work. Can I plug two APC's into the same outlet and power both servers, a desktop computer, and 3 monitors all on the same circuit? Theres a 20Amp fuse on the circuit, but im not sure if I have to add the amperage draw of the APC's into the total amperage draw on the circuit. So far I have this...

2 Servers @ 7amps a piece 14 amps
    3 Monitors @ 1.5-1.6 amps = 4.5 amps
    Workstation @ 5amps = 5 amps
    2 APC's @ 7 amps= 14 amps

Is the amperage calculation simply a total or am I understanding this wrong?
    And do the APC's have to be calculated into the equation?

HELP

2. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The battery backup units dont draw much current for their own operation except maybe if the batter is fully discharged. The current rating on the back of those units is how much they draw at full output.

If you want to plug those three computers into one circuit I would look into another plan. You might be okay if you used just one monitor and a KVM box.

btw APC is a brand, like Jacuzzi or Kleenex

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

14+4.5+5=too close to the circuit capacity for my taste. Also, just because there's a 20A fuse on the circuit, doesn't mean that's what it can really handle. (you never know if some DIY jackass used the wrong fuse) I'd have it checked out and probably have at least another curcuit run to the office if at all possible. That's what I did when I moved in to this house. I got two 20's dropped, each with a double duplex outlet. No overload worries for me.

4. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

Thanks guys. I'll most likely go with mdaniels' suggestion.