electric guitar opinions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by deleterious, Jan 8, 2005.

1. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

I'm interested in playing the Electric Guitar. Can anyone tell me how hard it was to learn? Also It would be helpful If someone could recommend a good beginner guitar for under 500$. Thanks. All input is appreciated.

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

I personally and a HUGE Jackson guitar fan. If you're looking for a good, solid guitar that works well as a beginer and as a pro, I'd snag one.

Though, if you're really just looking for a starter, try this package from Musician's Friend.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518745/

You get the an Epiphone SG (It's the cheep version of the Gibson, but still not a bad guitar), some extras (bag, pics, strings) as well as a small practice amp. Not a bad deal for $250.

Learning to play was really easy for me, but that's because I had a piano background, but it's still not a walk in the park. It will take years to be really good so as long as you start with that understanding, it'll be far less frustrating.

3. TREXSOUND

TREXSOUND New Member

If you`ve never played guitar before my advice is to buy an Acoustic guitar( I bet you can find one for 50 $ ) And then try if It`s something you wanna do.

A good Guitar for under 500$ though is the Yamaha AES620 it costs about 365 £. People say It`s a combined Fender and Gibson...........
    Rock on dude

4. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

I would start with an acoustic. They are cheaper initially. Fender Drednaught is like around 200 bucks and is a good entry level. After you get good and you want to switch over to something classy a Les Paul wouldn't hurt.

5. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

Uhh, lol im not that musically educated, so the easiest way for me to say this is whats the difference between an acoustic and an electric guitar really?

6. seatmech83

seatmech83 New Member

Acoustic = pick up and play. Nice crisp sound. Read unplugged style.
    Electric = Needs amp to play though, without it your suckin. All rock music now a days is with an electric.

7. kidnapster

kidnapster New Member

I'd go with the acoustic at first. It helps build skill and for beginners thats a good thing. As for that first guitar, whether you go electric or acoustic, i'd check out a pawn shop and pick out something decent cuz who knows, guitar may not be for you, or you might not have the time to do it.

acoustic: an ibenez, yamaha, or cheap martin
    electric: ephiphone, ibenez, or something made in japan.

8. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

*bump* any more opinions?

9. bikehorn

bikehorn New Member

i'll tell you this. if you want an electric, don't you dare touch a Squier - and i'm speaking from experience. your best bet would be an Ibanez or a Yamaha. actually, you might also check out http://www.rondomusic.net and pick one of the guitars between the $100-200 range. they are pretty solid.

10. PRMike

PRMike Guest

ANythign from Schecter or ESP.. around 500 you can get a good guitar with real EMG or Duncan Pickups... I'd reccomend the Duncans. Not sure what body style you like so here's a few.... The ones w/out the trem would be best for a beginer and great down the road..but the blue loks so good on the pic of the trem guitar I posted it as example of various colors and shape of headstock.body.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Fareo

Fareo New Member

depends on what kinda music you like to play.. i like 80's metal and Nu metal so i have a gibson explorer and a ESP horison.. but if you like blues punk or classic rock id suggest a fender strat if you like death metal id suggest a 7 string ESP makes good ones, gibson les paul is pretty vesital although they start at $1k, jackson is great for 80s metal, ibanez makes some good rock guitars, it just depends

id go with either ESP or Jackson given your price range

12. PRMike

PRMike Guest

:nuts:

13. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

:ugh2:

Why not? Having the B string there is awesome. Yea, you could tune all your strings down 2.5 steps but if you have 7 strings.. beauty!

14. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Because they don't use all 7 and the 7 string does nothing to beneifit you..the scale is the same so if you want to drop down that ridiculously low buy a baritone. 99% of Death metal guys use a 6 Trey used a 7 on some songs here and there on Morbid Angels cd's, but that's bout it.

15. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

*bump* anymore?

16. deleterious

deleterious OT Supporter

17. DiabSoule!

DiabSoule! ooh, plum been runnin', buck a doz. ooh, smoke ba

Trey is one... Dino from Fear Factory uses 'em too. I personally could not justify the extra cost.... but some may. Ridiculously low? I love it. I am generally tuned to B or C on my sixer.

18. PRMike

PRMike Guest

Dino isn't playing death metal, and if you're trying to tak about his other band he's not even with them anymore... He's known for Fear Factory which is hardly death metal.. trey uses them here and there. C isn't ridiculously low, but B or lower you should have a baritone for proper sound and intonation.

19. red_fox

red_fox New Member

acoustic sounds very different from an electric.
    some electrics that were recommended to me as my first guitar: epiphone les paul special II and fender. telecasters are cheap and have a decent sound. 200$. not bad at all.

as for the amps that you would need: marshall and peavey make cheap amps that sound okay. for a first guitar, you don't need anything stunning. to learn how to play, a telecaster with a 15 watt amp is all you need.

get a friend who plays guitar to go with you to a guitar store

20. laracroft

laracroft teh croft

:cool: Also good: Washburn or Fender Strat