Electric Firesafe, need to crack...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by neonwheels, Jul 4, 2006.

1. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

I know it's not a computer, but it's electric and I can't figure it out. :hs:

I just took posession of a firesafe, it was free, trick was... They don't know the combo.

It's from the early 90's, from Hyundai. It has dual dead bolts (one going up and one going down), and the hinge bolts do not come off.

I can't find a single piece of information about it via the web, Hyundai, nor Sams (where it was originally purchased)

I know the code has to be 6 alphanumeric characters in length (0 - 9, A - F).

Other than directing me to a locksmith, anyone have any suggestions? :x:

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If google comes up blank, you're screwed. You could try attending your local 2600 meeting and ask for help in cracking it.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

1. Nitro
    2. Sledge Hammer
    3. Shin Pads
    4. ??
    5. Profit

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, uh, so you "acquired" a safe for "free" and you "don't know the combo".

sounds legit to me :rolleyes:

:lockd:

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

It may well be his, so cracking it isn't illegal. Nor should discussing it be against the rules. Safes don't carry the same licenses as software, which can never be legally cracked. There's nothing wrong with discussing electronic safe cracking, as there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do it, like the one he has described. He's not trying to subvert anyone's security but his own, therefore the rule does not apply.

Who are you to doubt him? The story is more than plausible. I've had briefcases this way, and couldn't open em.

This is a good example of the differences between physical and intellectual property, that you have so much trouble with, Jolly :)

6. Grouch

Grouch Guest

compute all possible codes. Try one by one.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

0-9 and A-F for six digits is: 16,777,216 possible codes. Assuming you can enter one code every 4 seconds forever, a big assumption, that will only take him... just over two years on average, if he works twelve hours a day.

But hey, it is a solution. Probably though the firmware will not let you enter codes endlessly.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Read the SECOND quote. This is most certainly "bypassing" security measures... Which is expressly prohibited here.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I read the second quote. Its quite clear: the examples used are about work and school, i.e. not HIS security. We frequently tell people how to bypass their own security and its not against the rules: i.e. how to configure XP's firewall or a router to let services through. The safe is the same as that. There is nothing wrong, illegal, immoral or even questionable about cracking one's own safe, anymore than there is anything wrong with resetting the password on one's own router.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, the rule says that discussions regarding bypassing security measures are not permitted. However, since this is a computing-related forum, the assumption is that the user must be breaking the law by bypassing the security measures. Bypassing security on a product that the user owns all rights to is not illegal. If someone came to this forum to get help bypassing a forgotten BIOS password, it would be permissible because the user owns the computer. In this case, the guy wants to unlock a safe that is his to unlock. It's the same scenario. Once again you hide behind the letter of the law for the purpose of having an unassailable argument, with no consideration as to whether the argument is worth arguing.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

take it to a fucking locksmith and prove ownership of the safe. There is a REASON that those industrys are regulated with licensing requirements, and verification of ownership being a mandatory check.

12. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh:

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

sawzall with a metal cutting blade, just cut the pins. I've seen it done with ATM's before.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I guess I coulda just called you a dumshit. :rofl:

15. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

:crying: :crying:

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, and lets tell everyone to take their PC to a repair shop. They're there for a REASON, and you have no business doing it yourself. This is your lamest arguement to date.

17. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

build a robot to do that.

get a few sticks of dynamite and blow off the hinges, like in Lost ;)

don't do it in the middle of a city though.

18. copeland

copeland smarter than you

does it have a serial on it? I would try going to a locksmith with the serial and se what can be dug up. I mean there must be a pretty generic series of codes fromt he manufacturer or maybe he can overide the combo.

In a unrealted scenario I had to have a secuirty guy come and open up my house alarm cause we didn't know the overall code to the controller. just a pass code for arming/disarming, which I wanted to change so he just entered the factory code to unlock the whole system...hth...

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'd call a locksmith and ask him about it. You don't have to pay him, just ask questions. If you're nice and open about it, he'll probably fill you in on whats involved for him to crack it.

20. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Thermite FTW :)

Though, there may not be a safe or it's contents left other then a pool of metal :o

21. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I love the disclaimer! :bowrofl:

22. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dude, if I wanted to steal shit, I would totally become a locksmith first. Work for a few years, build up my skills, and wait for some stupid rich dude to need my help cracking his firesafe.

Y'know...maybe you shouldn't take it to a locksmith...

...in all seriousness though, it doesn't matter if you own the safe as long as it's empty. What are you going to do, steal a safe? Nobody steals a fucking safe just to have one.

23. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Damn, this got a little more active than I thought it would.

Here's what's going on: I just moved, wanted a fire safe, on a local classifieds board (similar to Craigslist) I posted "Wanted: Fire Safe" asking for either someone who wanted to sell one they weren't using or a place that had a discount/sale on them. An elderly gentleman sent me an email about it 2 weeks later and said he was moving to Florida, forgot the combination, but would give it away since the trashmen wouldn't take it. It was picked up yesterday morning with the promise that if I did infact find anything in the safe that I would return it to the owner (I even got his forwarding address), I spent probably 3 hours trying to find anything through any search engine possible. Nothing came up.

There is a serial number on it and I have contacted a local locksmith that I had done some computer work for and he would see what he could find. I haven't heard back from him yet and don't suppose I will until this weekend. I've already started going through possible codes they would've used including phone numbers and addresses. I hate to do the 000000, 000001 deal just to save a $150 or so...

Cliffs: picked up from the local owner through a craig's list type site, can have owner verify current proof of ownership being mine (the guy even still has the receipt from Sams from when he bought it!!), just need someone in the know who can help me

24. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Post a penny pic, of you with the safe in your home and a penny, just to make Jollyogre stfu and the rest of us laugh!

25. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Might just have to do it too!

:gfight: