EIDE vs. SATA

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, May 22, 2006.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

what's the deal? i've basically grown up on EIDE, currently running two EIDE HDs, one 80gig one 40. thinking about buying another to get some more drive space and am considering SATA.

but. really. what's better about these things?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SATA drives are built more durably, they usually spin faster, they transfer data at a higher speed, and they have the ability to decide for themselves what the best order is to fill data requests in. That last one is particularly useful because it reduces the amount of time that gets wasted by the hard drive swinging its magnetic reader back and forth as it tries to fill data requests in the order they were recieved.

Not to mention that PATA (IDE) is dead, and you've got a good reason to switch. Nobody's making PATA faster than 133Mb/s, whereas SATA 2.0 can top 300Mb/s.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if your mobo supports SATA, then use it.

However, if your mobo does not support SATA natively, then don't... You won't see a performance gain on a pci card due to the bottleneck of the PCI bus.

4. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

If you are building a new computer it makes no sense not to use SATA. Its like AGP and PCI-Express.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Quite a bit of what you said is wrong...
    First, built more durably? There are still a number of drives out there that are IDE drives with a IDE -> SATA adapter built on to the controller board. The rest of the components are very similar if not identical.

Spin faster? No. Unless you are referring to 5400RPM IDE drives vs. 7200RPM SATA drives. The only SATA drive that currently spins faster than a 7200RPM IDE drive is going to be the Raptor, which is 10,000 RPM.

Transfer data at a higher speed? Not entirely. They have a higher burst transfer data rate, but will generally be no faster than an identical IDE drive.

Ability to decide the best order to fulfill requests? Not all SATA drives support this. I'm assuming you are referring to NCQ.

IDE is dead, I won't disagree with that... but on the rest, you really should check out the facts first.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Just ignore deusexaethera... This is becoming an annoying trend where he's trying to sound knowledgable with no book-smart research and no real-world application.

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

8. deusexaethera

I was touting the advantages of a good SATA drive. Forgive me for not clarifying that to begin with. Of course you can buy crap if you want to.

9. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Are you shitting me? Do your research. There are many brands out there where the SATA model is equivalent to the IDE version of that model in terms of reliability, performance, and mechanics. Examples - Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi, Samsung... Seagate is the only company that makes real SATA drives as far as I know.

10. deusexaethera

I don't expect you to remember that I've repeatedly told people on this forum to always use Seagate drives if they can help it, but if you feel inclined to waste some time digging through the archive I guarantee you will find the posts I just referred to.

11. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Regardless, many of the claims you made are false... even for a Seagate.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WOW! I posted that I didn't want deusexaethera banned but now I have changed my mind!

Deusexaethera is a BURDEN on this forum that needs to be relieved.

13. deusexaethera

I have no doubt that I could tell someone that "the sky is blue" right now, and you would call me an idiot for not taking into account the time of day and the percentage of cloud cover.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't recall every doing anything remotely similar to that.

Any time I have corrected you it's because you have been out-right wrong.

You have had to, on several occasions, provide some set of obscure circumstances, after the fact, under which your statement might be partially true.

This is NOT productive to the forum. Please direct your comments in PMs or in the Front Desk. I notice you stopped posting there once I proved my point and others began agreeing with me. You don't need to ruin every C&P thread, now.

15. deusexaethera

Jesus Christ. I post a reply to the thread starter and you harass me and I defend myself and I'm the one ruining the threads. Explain to me why I should PM you with my responses to your crap when you saw fit to clog somebody's request for help with yet another insult-ridden post that lacked any useful information that could help the person who needs the help. Let me guess: because I'm making the post-whoring that you caused even worse and I should be the better man and stop.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

17. Neuman

Neuman New Member

i've got a couple IDE drives currently...so i'd assume if my mobo supports SATA i can add on a SATA HD, and keep my IDE drives as well?

18. deusexaethera

Yes. And even if you don't have SATA on your motherboard, I recently conducted an experiment on my own computer that pretty conclusively proves that even using a PCI card to add SATA will boost your computer's performance.

19. sowapowa

sowapowa New Member

I only prefer sata to ide since the wire is not a large ribbon. It just make the innerds look a lot cleaner. :big grin:

20. deusexaethera

That it does. Especially if you zip-tie all the SATA cables together.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Unless you're running RAID, then a PCI card is probably a bad idea.

22. deusexaethera

RAID (or at least a mirror) is a good idea anyway, with hard drives being so large nowadays. There's really no convenient way to back up all that data on a regular basis; it would be better to keep hardware failure from causing data loss in the first place. And given my recent experience with the NetCell cards, setting up a RAID or a mirror is a piece of cake; just approve the automatic configuration (unless it says RAID-0) and reboot.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why do you say "RAID or a mirror"??? Because a mirror is a level of RAID. (RAID 1)

24. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

So because Joe Schmoe uses his computer for email/surfing and digital pictures he should have a RAID setup? Complete overkill. Hell, I have 1/2 TB of space, and 1 DVD-R is all I need to backup my critical files... school work & digital photos. I'm not worried if I lose anything else, I can survive.

Why not just get a external drive and do nightly backups to it? You always take the simplist of problems and completely overcomplexify them. As well, your solutions are a lot like "When you have a hammer, everything becomes a nail." Just because you prefer RAID, doesn't mean it's the best solution for everyone.

25. deusexaethera

I know they're the same. I use different terms because more people will understand what a "mirror" is as opposed to a two-disk RAID 1. I've heard you refer to two-disk RAID 1's as mirrors before, too.