eh, thats fucked up.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jtl090179, Apr 12, 2008.

1. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

so the new riding season has just began. i have a couple of buddies who are looking to get off sportbikes and onto cruisers. older guys, early 30's, now married and are looking for something less backbreaking.

so thats the backstory.

now both placed fs adds in the newspaper for sunday. monday they both get a call saying theyd like to come see the bike tuesday. no biggie right?

tuesday comes and here comes a ford f350 with a four place bike trailer. 3 bikes already on the trailer. and a big Cycle City decal on the door. so wtf. guy comes out and offers him right away what hes looking for. then we go load the bike up and i notice my other buddies bike on there too. yep both bikes in one day.

as it turns out, these guys are buying up everything in the newspapers trying to corner the market on used bikes. and theyre paying cash. it just sounds fucked up to me

cliffs:dealership is buying up all used stock and marking them up

2. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

The pickup truck and check deal happened twice to me already, and both buyer representatives offered less than I was asking. They are out in full force in early spring, looking for undervalued bikes and eager sellers- knowing that in another month or two they will turn a profit.

There are only so many ready to sell bikes available through vehicle auctions, volume dealers have to supplement their inventory somehow. I personally know three powersports buyers in my area that travel to multiple out of state auctions on a monthly basis. Both of my most recent bikes were from the same CT dealer, and titles from NH and RI.

3. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

sucks but thats the way it goes

4. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

had one buy a bike from me.....

i sold it for 100 under asking and made myself 600 on the deal.

5. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

ok, so i was still baffled at what happened so i asked around. it turns out these guys have a couple of warehouses full of used bikes, and the reason they are buying them up is so that when it gets nice out there are no used bikes for sale. you have to buy new. then midway through the season theyll roll these used bikes out and make a killing on them too because there arent any more used or new bikes around :squint:

6. noxxs

noxxs New Member

fuck it, good for them. they figured out an angle, i bet if the shoe was on the other foot and you were bringing in some decent cash based on when you buy and sell your stock, you wouldn't be bitching. its obviously not a total monopoly, people will still be able to find bikes somewhere.

7. aCab

aCab New Member

Aren't you in ATL?

8. Pilky

Pilky New Member

Ya i dont see what the big deal is here. I only see it as a win win situation.

The seller is getting rid of his bike, and the guy buying it is going to make a couple bucks.

If i was selling my bike and someone was offering me the cash i wanted i'd be more then happy to sell.